Korda Goo

greenie62

Reaction score
Perhaps someone could tell us if this bait-additive is safe to feed to carp or any other freshwater species - given the concern that has been expressed recently on this forum about the safety of some products used as bait / additives?

I can find nowt on the Korda site which would verify this.
Cheers!

arthur2sheds

Reaction score
There have been numerous discussions on the stuff on loads of fora and websites.... Korda do not list the ingredients, but it has been rumoured to contain fluorecein... something which they neither confirm or deny... All they say is it's perfectly safe to man and carp..... However I know more than a few waters have banned or limited it's use on the basis of that rumour

After working in labs in the Pharma industry for quite a few years, I know Fluorecein can be a dangerous chemical, therefore I won't use the Korda stuff on that basis... it may be fine in the specific concentrations in the product, if indeed it is in the list of ingredients.... who knows...? but I'll stay clear thanks...

---------- Post added at 15:11 ---------- Previous post was at 15:00 ----------

This was posted on the Korda website back in 2012

THE GOO - OFFICIAL STATEMENT

It has come to our attention recently that a small minority of people have questioned the contents of Kiana Carp Goo and their environmental credentials. Therefore it is our decision to lay down the facts of the Goo and deconstruct the fiction to lay to rest the speculation and to reassure those who genuinely do care about carp and the environment that the Goo is very safe to use. We will reiterate that Goo causes no harm to the fish or the environment and contains no banned substances.

The Goo contains readily available, approved and tested ingredients. The exact identity and quantities of the components will remain a trade secret as it will be copied by rival companies. The Goo is not for human consumption and neither is any other fishing liquid attractant. The coloured component of the Goo dissipates in the lake water over a relatively short period of time. The tests that have been done on the components (with specific reference to the colour) have been performed by neutral non-biased scientists and the body of evidence supporting the components of Goo is strong and genuine. All manner of tests have been performed on the components of Goo to ensure its safety in the aquatic environment from the lowest forms of microorganisms to large cyprinid fish.

The components of Goo are organic, natural, highly water-soluble and perhaps most importantly of all, no bio-concentration occurs in organisms which means that no harm to the aquatic environment would occur even in the long term.

Hopefully, most reasonable people will be satisfied by this statement. We as a company have given great time and consideration to this topic before the Goo was ever released. We genuinely care for the wellbeing of carp and the natural environment probably more than most.

greenie62

Reaction score
Thanks for the comments Arthur - and also for re-producing the Korda statement - I trust it will re-assure all who may be thinking of using it!

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score
it up to anglers if they take the statement on trust or not, but could they say which tests and the results and who tested them so anglers could contact those who did the tests

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
This product has been around for a few years now and can honestly say I've never seen any proof that it catches more fish? A certain ex member of this forum once told us he'd caught 400 carp on it in one day while in South Africa....
Blimey they must have been starving or in need of a visit to spec savers...
I wonder why there's a promotion on here with discount if it's so good???
If I wanted a cloud effect I'd use Atomic cloud at a third of the price....
But I don't because it's all bollarks innit?

chav professor

Reaction score
A cloud or 'halo' of attraction around your hookbait? Sounds good to me. I can see how it could be advantageous. Speaking from my own experiences flavours can have a serious impact on your fishing - either high attract or more subtle in nature.

Why they work, how, or to what extent, is open to conjecture...

Regarding the presence or absence of flourocine... It sounds dangerous, so in ignorance it must be? I had a eye orbit puncture wound and had flourocine applied directly to my eye for retinal imaging to an open wound.... Apparently, its not nice if you ingest large quantities - I would avoid that.

Caffeine is a deadly toxin at very low concentrations.... I've had a safe dose this morning.

At the relatively low concentrations the introduction of a chemical such as flourocine introduced using a product as Goo - it is to all purposes harmless and breaks down very quickly in the environment.

I have also used it in the lab in a secondary school setting - that tells me all I need to know. If it can be used 'safely' with some of the nut cases you come across from time to time...lol

I can never understand why there is such skepticism regarding additives.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
I can never understand why there is such skepticism regarding additives.

Maybe it is due to some anglers making highly ridiculous claims of catches saying that they used XYZ additives, to catch 200lbs, 300lbs or 400lbs of fish?

I have used additives and flavours for nearly all of my fishing over the last 25 years or so, but wouldn't stoop to making wholly untruthful claims for personal gain.

Quite a few of my local venues have banned the use of Goo, and similar products, as it seems that it does not dissipate as swiftly as the manufacturer's claims.

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
A few months ago the water level on a stretch of the GUC started dropping and in order to detect leaks Flouroscein was used. The water turned a turquoise green colour and all the pegs on the affected section blanked?

sam vimes

Reaction score
Maybe you need to use this much Flouroscein to catch 400lbs of fish.............................;)

Jerry, I'd been waiting to get home to post that very video clip. Fluoroscein's main use is for tracing water flows, if it were half as bad as some are making out, it would be banned already. Now I'm not trying to suggest that it's a wondrous substance that's utterly safe, but some perspective is required. The Chicago River is dyed with the stuff every year. I can't see a little bit of goo on a hook bait being the biggest of problems, even if I don't use it myself. I suspect that the reaction to this stuff is in a similar vein to the banning of hemp because it's addictive to fish.:eek:mg:

greenie62

Reaction score
..... The Chicago River is dyed with the stuff every year...

I understand the "Paddy's Day" use of flourescein was stopped many years ago by the EPA after environmentalists protested - a vegetable-based dyestuff is now used instead.

thecrow

Reaction score
This product has been around for a few years now and can honestly say I've never seen any proof that it catches more fish? A certain ex member of this forum once told us he'd caught 400 carp on it in one day while in South Africa....

That's some catch, if fish were caught over a 24 hour day that's a fish every 3.75 minutes, what stamina :)

The bad one

Reaction score
Never used it, unlikely to either! The claims of manufactures of things being "Tested" for me must always be questioned unless they say by whom and where the "results" (reputable Journal) were published. Without that it just more ad blurb to push product.

Merv Harrison

Reaction score
Quote:
THE GOO - OFFICIAL STATEMENT

"It has come to our attention recently that a small minority of people have questioned the contents of Kiana Carp Goo and their environmental credentials. Therefore it is our decision to lay down the facts of the Goo and deconstruct the fiction to lay to rest the speculation and to reassure those who genuinely do care about carp and the environment that the Goo is very safe to use. We will reiterate that Goo causes no harm to the fish or the environment and contains no banned substances.

The Goo contains readily available, approved and tested ingredients. The exact identity and quantities of the components will remain a trade secret as it will be copied by rival companies. The Goo is not for human consumption and neither is any other fishing liquid attractant. The coloured component of the Goo dissipates in the lake water over a relatively short period of time. The tests that have been done on the components (with specific reference to the colour) have been performed by neutral non-biased scientists and the body of evidence supporting the components of Goo is strong and genuine. All manner of tests have been performed on the components of Goo to ensure its safety in the aquatic environment from the lowest forms of microorganisms to large cyprinid fish.

The components of Goo are organic, natural, highly water-soluble and perhaps most importantly of all, no bio-concentration occurs in organisms which means that no harm to the aquatic environment would occur even in the long term.

Hopefully, most reasonable people will be satisfied by this statement. We as a company have given great time and consideration to this topic before the Goo was ever released. We genuinely care for the wellbeing of carp and the natural environment probably more than most".................................

And any 'rival' company purchasing 'Goo', and employing the services of a decent Chemist would know the constituents, and % used in the product within hours. What a load of tosh they come out with.

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
That's what happens when they 'give it away' for £9 for 115ml..............:rolleyes:

That's all I need to know about the stuff. At 9 nicker a thimbleful I don't care what's in it cos its doing me no harm on the tackle shop shelf. Like them little jars of jellytots that were so popular a couple of years back.try finding them now.

I can be seduced by any number of shiny things in a tackle shop but not by bait or bait additives. If I want a sweetie or a sherbert fountain I go to a sweet shop.

Last edited:

arthur2sheds

Reaction score
I have to say that although I commend Korda for it's statement, the wording is carefully neutral, and in fact quite ambiguous and the final paragraph about "most reasonable people" relies on you feeling that "you are a reasonable chap so maybe you'll give it a go"

Maybe I being paranoid, and maybe I am missing out on a catch or two by eschewing the product, but I'll be happy in the knowledge that I'm not adding to any possible adverse effect in either myself, or a fish, or fishery....