The Barbel Show Weekend from a Personal Perspective

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Looks like you had a good day Steve, nice to see a young lady pick up an award as well, sounds like a lot of work, now the harder job of catching a few Barbel and making it look easy:) or would that be difficult:):)

Steve Pope

Reaction score
Hi Mark, I had an excellent weekend, the work is all worthwhile when you see how happy it makes people and the little lady made it extra special. As you can see from Bobby's post there is no let up! Fishing is just about to start, I'm expecting some easy days and some tough ones! All the best.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Hi Mark, I had an excellent weekend, the work is all worthwhile when you see how happy it makes people and the little lady made it extra special. As you can see from Bobby's post there is no let up! Fishing is just about to start, I'm expecting some easy days and some tough ones! All the best.

That's the only count that matters, all the smiling faces. Brought a smile to my face and I was not even there. Keep it going.

black kettle

Reaction score
This is a dedicated thread for discussing article: The Barbel Show Weekend from a Personal Perspective.

So seeing as Fishing Magic has invited discussions of the above article, this is my contribution.

Steve Pope said;

“I managed to keep to my time slot and as I finished I introduced to the stage my good friend and colleague Howard Cooke. If my talk was all about the past, then Howards was about the future. His fifteen minute slot explained the thinking behind the project we have labelled '2020 Vision' which will, hopefully, pave the way for the next two decades.”

Interesting that the mere 4 lines above covered the much trumped up 2020 Vision from a personal perspective? I personally would have expected to have read more about this “visionary” concept.

Steve Pope said;

“ I was hugely impressed with Claire. She would be welcome on the BS committee at any time and all I would say is heaven help those who like having a pop!”

So would that be yet another unelected person co-opted onto the BS committee if she was welcomed onto the BS committee? Indeed was the new treasurer elected by a membership ballot? And the “heaven help those who like having a pop” comment was not surprising at all seeing as this is what I come to expect from the BS bully boys who jump on anyone who criticises how the BS is being run.

Steve Pope said;

“There were well over two hundred people who came through the entrance door; add those who were helping or manning the stands and three hundred would not have been far from the total number of attendees.”

Really? So if these figures are correct, one third of the attendees were people manning the trade stands? 100 people on the trade stands. Were there a lot of trade stands? And if the 200 through the door is correct, which is surely a low turnout for this type of event in any case, did 200 through the door actually cover the events costs? I have had it on the authority from people who were actually there at the show there were around 150 people in attendance apart from the trade people presumably. Even so, 150 or 200 this is really a poor turnout for such an event in my opinion. It also begs the question that given the BS membership is in demise, will there actually be enough members next year to hold any type of show at all?? Given this years poor turnout will there actually be enough people interested next year??

Interesting to read that Steve Pope says the members of the hierarchy have their fingers on the pulse. Is that the same pulse involved in the magazine going out extremely late and the fact that an ex committee man had to ask several times about the late magazine before he got an answer on the BS FB page? Have there also been complaints about people not getting BS merchandise or not receiving suitable responses from the BS in regard to this?

I have noticed that on other angling forums the BS hierarchy are pushing the Barbel Society “Research and Conservation” fund raising initiatives. Can Steve Pope or any of his hierarchy tell us if Research and Conservation funds are being used for any other purposes? Can Steve Pope or members of the BS hierarchy tell us if Research and Conservation funds are going to be used as a financial crutch to guard against the inevitable loss of revenue from a falling membership?

Regards,
BK.

black kettle

Reaction score
I see Bobby Baker or Steve Pope have not answered my questions so I'll ask again.

"Interesting to read that Steve Pope says the members of the hierarchy have their fingers on the pulse. Is that the same pulse involved in the magazine going out extremely late and the fact that an ex committee man had to ask several times about the late magazine before he got an answer on the BS FB page? Have there also been complaints about people not getting BS merchandise or not receiving suitable responses from the BS in regard to this?

I have noticed that on other angling forums the BS hierarchy are pushing the Barbel Society “Research and Conservation” fund raising initiatives. Can Steve Pope or any of his hierarchy tell us if Research and Conservation funds are being used for any other purposes? Can Steve Pope or members of the BS hierarchy tell us if Research and Conservation funds are going to be used as a financial crutch to guard against the inevitable loss of revenue from a falling membership?"

Given that the BS appears to be concentrating on R&C funding and that it also appears to be increasing their efforts to gain more funding via this so called Research and Conservation route one would assume that answering the basic question of whether such funds were being used elsewhere is easily answerable? And if no answers are forth coming does that give confidence to anglers to part company with their hard earned money?

Regards,

BK.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Moderation note:

We are receiving complaints from members regarding the repetative and potentially harrassing questioning of the Barbel Society and/or its Officers or Members.

Having moderated here for about 12 years I have seen many "Barbel Wars" in my time, but this repeated questioning has to stop.

It is one thing to ask a question of a poster but to continue to repeat the questions is unacceptable.

Can I therefore please ask all concerned to take the matter in a PM with the people involved and not to use the forum to further personal arguments.

Thanking you all for your cooperation in this matter.

Titus

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Moderation note:

We are receiving complaints from members regarding the repetitive and potentially harassing questioning of the Barbel Society and/or its Officers or Members.

I think that answer the questions admirably.

Last edited:

ken more

Reaction score
Is it possible for me to ask questions on the Barbel Society forum?

Judas Priest

Reaction score
Ken

You have to be a member

---------- Post added at 18:36 ---------- Previous post was at 18:24 ----------

Peter

I can see that for the moderators it can be a chore but having asked questions and not received an answer despite the rhetoric from certain officers it is logical to keep asking those questions until one receives a reply or be told by those same officers that they will not answer any questions put to them.

Are we to be denied the idea that we can question or ask questions in regards to postings on the forum ?

Members have the option to not read postings if they so choose so I cannot see how anyone can complain unless they have an ulterior motive or are the individuals concerned.

black kettle

Reaction score
Very sad to see this type of moderation creep into FM.

But as one door closes a 175 million visitors per day door opens and stays open 24/7 for freedom of speech where its everyone's right to ask questions.

Regards,

BK.

Ray Wood 1

Reaction score
So no one can ask questions of the BS it's committee or members.

What a sad day for those who may have thought about joining it!

I am sure that they will rightly have second thoughts now.

Regards
Ray

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Very sad to see this type of moderation creep into FM.

But as one door closes a 175 million visitors per day door opens and stays open 24/7 for freedom of speech where its everyone's right to ask questions.

Regards,

BK.

Not too sure as to what "type" of moderation you are referring to . . . . . . .

There is a very thin line between continued and repeated questions and plain harassment, which is not allowed under the T&C's here on FM.

The moderation team try our level best to allow discussion to flow with the minimum of interference, but when complaints are made (and no, not the immediately obvious member either) then we are obliged to comment.

So, come on chaps, let's try to keep it reasonable . . . . .

Judas Priest

Reaction score
Peter I fully understand that moderating can be a thankless task but when questions are asked in a polite manner of an individual, and that individual keeps posting on the same thread without answering any of the questions raised then surely it is not beyond expectations to repeat those questions until an answer is received or he says he declines to do so.

As to the obvious complainant (s) I really never thought that Bobby would be the one.

black kettle

Reaction score
I was referring to the moderation note about asking questions Peter. Repeatedly or singularly. Or as in the complaints of well, we can hazard a guess from whom, repetative and potentially harrassing.

Well I guess if someone doesn't like the question and perhaps to avoid answering it, said question or questions might well be labeled as repetitive or harassing. Your call as moderator though Peter just sad that asking questions albeit sometimes repeatedly on a forum designed specifically for debate is outlawed. As for harassing? Never spotted any of those.

Regards,

BK.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Believe it or not the complaints came from no one mentioned on the thread at all . . . . . . .

It is a difficult call to make from a moderation point of view, and we do try to let everyone have their say . . . . . . . . .