FishingMagic Forums

Go Back   FishingMagic Forums > FISHINGMAGIC NEWS > FM News & Feature Comments
Register Forums Blogs FAQ Calendar Arcade Search Mark Forums Read

Like Tree37Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-01-2017, 15:09
Editor

Cliff Hatton is on a distinguished road
Default Beavers could be reintroduced to Wales...

http://www.fishingmagic.com/news_eve...s-absence.html

Click the image to open in full size.

Beavers could return to Wales for the first time in hundreds of years, after being successfully reintroduced in other parts of the UK.*Wildlife experts are submitting a licence application to release 10 beavers in the south of the country and hope the reintroduction could begin this year. The Scottish government recently decided to list beavers as a protected species after a successful trial reintroduced the animals into the wild and a pair were also released on the Otter river in Devon in May.

The animals were hunted to extinction in Britain in the 16th century, but the five-year Scottish beaver trial established a group in Knapdale Forest in Argyll. Another population emerged on the Tay river following illegal releases a decade ago.

"In England, beaver numbers on the Otter have increased, with two established pairs producing offspring, or kits. One female produced five kits, well above the average of three" the programme’s manager, Mark Elliot, said. "A new male and female released on the Otter in May to increase the genetic diversity of England’s only wild beaver population have also settled in well"

Beavers have been living wild on the Otter for up to a decade, but are now part of an official five-year trial by Devon Wildlife Trust. “They have been very visible, people have been able to watch them. We’ve had a lot of people down here beaver watching in the summer,” Elliott said, “and that’s been benefiting the local pubs and B&Bs, and people are talking about ‘beaver tourism’, which is really encouraging”

Alicia Leow-Dyke, the Welsh beaver project officer for the Wildlife Trusts Wales, said there would now be a public consultation.
A first application was made to Natural Resources Wales a year ago. If the application is not opposed, the project hopes to start releasing animals in 2017.
Leow-Dyke said: “The evidence coming from Britain and Europe is they can be beneficial for ecology, helping with reducing flooding and filtering water, and have important consequences for the landscape. The beavers could help with habitat restoration, bringing light into overgrown areas and allowing other nature to thrive"

“With the beaver you’re not looking at a single species. It can have such a wider benefit helping the ecosystem. Because we’ve had such a detrimental effect on the landscape for so long, this can help,” she said.

Farmers and anglers have argued that beavers damage the landscape and affect fish migration, and have called for conservation efforts to be focused on the UK’s existing wildlife.

Leow-Dyke said there was evidence from Europe that beavers’ negative impacts could be managed and the scheme would have a net benefit. The enjoyment factor of seeing the creatures in the wild and easy-to-spot field signs of their presence could be used to encourage children to explore the natural world.

Liz Halliwell, a mammal ecologist at Natural Resources Wales, said beavers were once part of the country’s native wildlife and could create rich and varied habitats that made the environment stronger and healthier. But she added: “Our assessment of any application for a licence would need to carefully consider the effects of a reintroduction on existing wildlife and land use.”
Old 03-01-2017, 16:12

Lord Paul of Sheffield will become famous soon enoughLord Paul of Sheffield will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Beavers could be reintroduced to Wales...

can't ait for wolves and bear to be re-introduced in to the British wildlife
Old 03-01-2017, 16:42

ken more is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Paul of Sheffield View Post
can't ait for wolves and bear to be re-introduced in to the British wildlife
When's that planned then? Maybe they will eat all the Beaver
Old 03-01-2017, 16:47

Windy will become famous soon enough

Recipes anyone ?
Old 03-01-2017, 17:12

thecrow is on a distinguished road

This bit made me smile Alicia Leow-Dyke, the Welsh beaver project officer
Old 03-01-2017, 20:37

tigger is on a distinguished road

Beavers would improve fishing massively! They dam up streams etc creating new habitat for fish, birds amphibions etc etc. It would take a lot of 'em and several or more lifetimes but they'd most likely lessen the damage done by flooding!
robtherake likes this.
Old 04-01-2017, 09:25

robertroach is on a distinguished road

Can't make up my mind whether they are good or bad overall.

On the one hand they dam up streams holding floodwater back but on the other hand they clog up the systems preventing fish migration, silt up the streams and reduce the tree population. I am happy to ignore the argument that they will encourage a new generation of wildlife lovers.

I am waiting to be convinced either way.
Keith M likes this.
Old 04-01-2017, 10:05

S-Kippy is on a distinguished road

Broadly speaking I don't have a particular issue with the re-introduction of an indigenous species provided its done in a controlled/sensible way. My concern is that whatever it is doesn't get out of hand.The odd pair of beavers doesn't seem much of a threat now but if they do well and cause problems/get out of hand is anybody bold enough to say "enough" and cull them.I suspect not....and therein lies the problem.

I'd like to see the lynx re-introduced....just a few and in the right place but for no better reason that I think they are magnificent and aren't doing too good elsewhere. Wolves and bear is a bridge too far.

Bottom line I suppose is why anybody is doing this ? What's the point and is it worth it ? I'm not persuaded either way yet.
robtherake likes this.
Old 04-01-2017, 10:24

thecrow is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by S-Kippy View Post
Bottom line I suppose is why anybody is doing this ? What's the point and is it worth it ? I'm not persuaded either way yet.
I suspect its another case of "because we can" if one looks at the cost of the trial in scotland the Scottish Wildlife Trust says its around £2 million half of which came in the form of a Biffa Award (I only know Biffa as a company that recycles rubbish).

Interestingly 32% of that money went on staff and equipment while 31% went on monitoring which I find very strange as staff that would have done the monitoring with equipment ( cameras, hides etc) have already been accounted for in staff and equipment, maybe its the money that's involved that is one of the drivers for these reintroductions as it is with other "projects"
robtherake likes this.
Old 04-01-2017, 10:25

markg is on a distinguished road

If they became extinct in the 16th century; are they indigenous? And who deemed they are suitable for 21st century Britain? A lots changed in 500 years. And introducing a "new" species has a lot of long term affect on the native flora and fauna which is often unforeseen at the time. They are prolific breeders and I foresee them becoming a pest with some bad affects on other wildlife and some of our native plant-life long after the present day nature lovers/introduces are gone. Its a purely selfish thoughtless act of interfering to me just so a few people can satisfy their god complex and go Ah isn't that lovely. This will only last for a while as a novelty, once it becomes a common sight they will get bored and want to introduce/interfere with something else..Shortsighted halfwits.
It might change the ecology of some rivers that might suit some species but it wont suit others, nature will balance it out whatever.

Last edited by markg; 04-01-2017 at 10:36.