River Idle Scrooby

Matt Brown

Reaction score
Michael, I have a question for you but you don't have your e-mail on your profile. Send me a quick message to matt@mattbrown.co.uk so I can e-mail you back.

John, yes the technology is changing very quickly and the prices are dropping all the time. The fact is you can get great pictures with what's available now. You could be waiting for the next big thing for the rest of your life.

The tackle we have now is, on average, better than it was 30 years ago and yet I'm sure you used enjoy your fishing back then! Imagine if you hadn't bought the tackle and waited until now.

The more pixels you have (all other things being equal) the sharper the image. This allows you to crop a picture while retaining more detail. I often crop images to improve composition.

J

john ledger

Matt
Had a word with editor of WHICH CAMERA and he told me that the new Canon 350D is the better buy so i will take his word and buy it

J

john ledger

Dont expect too much Matt . Remember I have only just mastered the mobile phone

J

john ledger

Matt i bought the Canon,only trouble it will take me a month to read manual

Matt Brown

Reaction score
For now John, just set it to 'P' mode, point at you subject, semi press the button, re-compose (re-frame) the shot and shoot.

The semi-press sets the exposure and focus.

Next stage would be set it to 'Tv' mode, turn top dial to show a shutter speed of 60, and do the same. You've got more chance of getting both the angler and fish in focus.

J

john ledger

Thanks young Matt you are a true gent. Matt what is the difference between setting on P and auto?

J

john ledger

Mike T
Thanks for coming down and taking the photos of my fish which have come out very well indeed. By the way Mike i left my landing net on the bank(old age you know)

Michael Townsend 3

Reaction score
It needed replacing John.
I wish i could see the anglers face who uses it next, only to see his fish fall through.
Im glad the photos came out well.
Thats why i use a cannon slr, they are idiot proof on auto, just what i need.
I can't wait to go and fish there again John, i think we will get one or two corkers.

J

john ledger

Mike
If we dont catch a few roach over 2lb i will be surprised plus the quality of those rudd. Yes i will be there next week and its a pity you are working,could not believe how well i did for the first time on the fishery. Did you find the route back home any easier?

Michael Townsend 3

Reaction score
It was a lot easier John, after i took the wrong turn. It took me 15 mins less, and theres no chance of getting stuck behind a tractor.
I think i will fish there most sundays, along with our bream water, and fish the southern specimen waters midweek.
I have a week off starting next monday, so we should be able to have a day on there is saturday ok.
I will settle for half of what you caught, i can't wait bacause i think its a matter of time before we get a giant or two.

Matt Brown

Reaction score
Sorry for the late reply John - 'P' mode is similar to Auto mode but allows you to use the flash when ever you want (nice for fill in flash during the day).

You can change the shuuter speed and aperture too, but don't worry about that for now.

Michael Howson

Reaction score
Hello John Sorry i havnt been in touch. Since returning from Denmark late on friday ive been busy and the time seems to fly. We are only home for two weeks and then we are going back on an open-ended ticket as my darling little grandaughter is going into hospital for a serious heart operation and we will be taking care of our other two grandkids while their mum and dad are by her side. I am still hoping to get together with you and the lads in the new river season. It seems like you and mike T have hit the jackpot with good roach and rudd so ill no doubt hear about it when we meet up.If you have allready got your permits iwill find time to go and get one myself. It might be possible to have a meet with you and i will ring you either this evening or sometime early this week. Well thats all for now John and tight lines.

J

john ledger

Cheers Matt
Heard a lot of good things about you so i know you will be able to sort my camera problems out. My problems not the camera but myself. I will just not sit down and read the manual

J

john ledger

Michael
Nice to have you back,sorry to hear about your grandaughter,she is your No1priority. Do not worry about book as i will get yours if you like and we can straighten up later. Yes Mike T and i have certainly dropped on and you will have to come with us

J

john ledger

Matt
Well done with your big perch and coming from a local river makes it all the better.I once caught one that weighed 3lb15oz from the Idle at Bawtry.
Bircotes AS match secretary and match angler Alan Micklin witnessed the fish. It was that big i would not hold it and i was sad because i was hoping at the time it was a chub or double figure bream. Any perch over 3lb is a big fish and at least you where fishing for one while i was not . That makes your fish all the better

Michael Howson

Reaction score
John. Thanks for a pleasant afternoon walking the bank at scrooby. The river certainly looks very inviting and the many fishy looking spots will make carrying the tackle and oxegen bottle worthwhile(only kidding).Joking aside it will be a real kick to fish what is virtually virgin water in the company of some good anglers and im looking forward to the new season allready. Thats all for now and ill keep in touch. Ps. I need now to put my thoughts to my little baby grandaughter and i will let you know the progress as soon as we know anything. All the best from Mick.

J

john ledger

Michael it was good to have your company.
This is what i have planned
Arrive at carpark 6-00am
Brisk walk to swim arrive 9-30am
Tackle up and start fishing 10-00am
Pack in 11-00am
Walk back to car arriving approx 15-00pm
Breath oxygen for an hour until we come round and swallow 2 salt tablets.
Call ambulance for anybody who has collapsed on walk back to car.
Piss off home and sleep for a week.
Seriously though we will catch some fish.All the best with little un

J

john ledger

Well done to my pal and angling companion Mike Townsend on capture of another roach over 2lb-------2lb 12oz to be exact,good un Mike lets have some more on Sat