OK, So Why Do Hair Rigs Work?

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA-Life Member)

By the way, has anyone ever tried the dreaded Medusa Rig?

I once caught a Trent barbel this way. But heck the fiddling around superglueing all those maggots to a little cork ball is so darned tedius.

And then you get the whole darned lot scragged with gudgeon. It's not worth the effort if you ask me.

B

BAZ (Angel of the North) aka Fester

Strictly speaking, that isn't a Madusa rig though Ron.
Blimey I'm begining to sound like you now.

captain carrott

Reaction score
used to use all sorts of things, from bits of uncooked sphagetti to grass and knobthorns. You don't get those in Britain.

you do get them in britain last time i got em off a ruffe slapper.

so what is a strictly speaking medusa rig then baz, cause he's just described what i thought it was.

captain carrott

Reaction score
now i've never seen one of these maggot clip thingys so i don't no whether you're being serious or not fred.

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
A medusa rig is exactly how Ron described it Jason so I too will be interested to hear what Baz's version of it is. Not my sort of rig though, I much prefer threading maggots onto a hook than glueing my fingers together.

C

Christian Tyroll

I thought there was two versions, one being the one Ron describes and another were you actually hair rig the maggots!

captain carrott

Reaction score
you might have a point christian, it's coming back to me now from the mists of time.

C

Cakey

out of interest would a hair rigged deadbait work with a set of trebles ??
might stop deep hooking and catching jacks !

captain carrott

Reaction score
no it don't mr cake. too many problems with them,

what do you make the hair out of? wire? line?
if line it gets bit off, if wire how do you get it to be the correct length for your baits when changing from 12" herring to 2" spratt.

how do you attach it to the rig?
on the end of the trace threaded through the bait. then it doesn't come off and the fish throws the hooks when it shakes it's head, or you have to wait till the bait is swallowed before you strike. to the swivel then the hooks just don't go into the fish's mouth.

best way to stop deep hooking is strike early, i've had one deep hooked fish in 20 years and that was my fault. i had a wrap round at night and didn't work out what was going on till it was too late.

B

<u>Medussa Rig</u>

It?s a bit difficult to explain but here goes.

Instead of a hair loop, tie a stainless steel ring on the end of the hair.

Tie the hooklength with a grinner knot.

Take a sewing needle and length of 6lb line about a foot long.

Sew the maggots onto the needle about twenty or more of them, and pull them down onto the 6lb line.

Thread the needle through the stainless steel ring and pull the maggots half way through the ring.

Then simply tie knots in the 6lb line around the ss ring.

If you want to make them pop up use pieces of foam in place of some of the maggots.

Doing it this way is the original way, and it gives a much neater presentation.

captain carrott

Reaction score
i was only replying and giving you a few bits to mull over. you might come up with a solution,

B

Graham.
I am only a small time no name angler of no importance. So there is no need for thanks, or acknowledgement, or for you to grovel, bootlick, brown nose or demean yourself in a prostrate position, simply because I took the time to try and explain the Medussa rig which you asked for.

B

So then Graham, appart from the compliments, what do you think of my explanation of the Madussa rig?

T

The Monk

The original Madussa rig, as described by Jeffery Madussa in his excellent book, "Madussa Rigs for Stew Pond Carps and other Fishes" describes a polly ball with maggots glued directly onto the cork