A Passion for Angling

K

Kevan Farmer

The excellent BBC video 'A Passion for Angling' with Chris Yates and Bob James has been re-released. Hugh Miles, the producer, has seen fit to re-release this, in my opinion, finest ever angling video. It is available from Hugh for ?20.00 signed - though I don't know if that is signed by Hugh or by Chris and Bob.

The advert is in the latest copy of Waterlog magazine. This has made my Xmas because I have been trying all this year to get a copy. If anybody wants the address I'll post it up on here.

Kevan

A

Andy Doughty

Post the address! When ever you get a downer after a couple of blanks, just watch that looney Yates up a tree with his pea shooter. Great viewing...

R

Rodney Wrestt

Hi Kevan,
I have the book which is an excellent read and have seen the show a few times, there are some terrific locations and specimens on display in the series (one of my favourites is the pike sequence with the big winter roach at the end of the day then the big pair of snappers the following morning, as well as the big roach net by Bob James). A curious thing about the book is that there are illustrations in the book along with some great quality pictures
One, which struck me as strange is on page 52. It is a drawing from the scene which shows the pair fishing from the tree for carp and they jump into the water to land it. The picture shows them in mid flight above the water, now I looked at the picture and something wasn?t quite right but It took a while to dawn on me exactly what, in the show Bob has the fish on and is playing the fish on a fixed spool reel, but in the illustration he has a centre pin reel. (Just a little point, artistic licence I suppose, but it was one of those things where you know something isn?t quite right but can?t spot it for looking at it). Is the re-release the DVD version you were looking for a while back or is it VHS? ;-}~

D

Davy North

I'd love a copy, having taped a few episodes from Discovery Home & Leisure who have re-run them a few times, however it would be nice to see them without adverts

K

Kevan Farmer

Ok, sorry for the delay I've been v.busy over the last couple of days.

Anyway, the details are:

Make a cheque out to 'Hugh Miles' to the value of ?20.00 send this to him at:

Hugh Miles
Chilbrook Croft
Wimborne Road
Corfe Mullen
Wimborne
Dorset
BH21 3EA

Post and packing is included in the ?20.00.

K

Kevan Farmer

Forgot to mention it's VHS video not DVD. But who cares really? I'm just ecstatic that Hugh has seen fit to re-release it.

Kevan

D

Dave Hellard

Where can I get hold of a copy of the book? i have had the vid for years wouldnt mind giving the book a read

D

Dave Hellard

Can i obtain a copy of the book from Hugh Miles??? I WANT THE BOOK

R

Rodney Wrestt

Dave,
I would imagine any good book store such as Dillons would be able to order it for you if they don't have it in stock (I got mine in W.H. Smiths), or you could write to the publishers to ask for a list of local suppliers. The book was published almost 10 years ago so there might not be so many stores with it on their shelves.

Here's the relevant details

BBC Books
BBC Enterprises Ltd
Woodlands
80 Wood Lane
London
W12 0TT

Merlin Unwin Books
21 Corve Street
Ludlow
Shropshire
SY8 1DA

Published jointly by Merlin Books/BBC Books

The Companion To the TV Series
A Passion For Angling
Chris Yates. Bob James. Hugh Miles

ISBN 0 563 36741 5

Or perhapse the address Kevan gave for the video would be able to help.

Hope this helps.

Chris,
DVD stands for Digital Versitile Disk, it's the new way to watch movies with digital quality sound and images and extra scenes within a medium which looks like a C.D.
You can get DVD players from most electrical retailers and they are also available as a drive which fits into a spare 5 1/4 inch bay on the front of a P.C. allowing you to watch movies on the computer. Software companies are begining to put their wares onto DVD's because they hold so much information, so instead of getting 6 or 7 cd's you would get the same amount of software on 1 DVD.

D

Davy North

Dave I got a copy a few weeks ago direct from Merlin Unwin Books.

K

Kevan Farmer

Just a quick footnote to Rodney's excellent explanation of DVD. Recorders are now coming on the market. Take my advice and leave them on the shelves for another year or so. The standards have not been finalised yet. Most of us on here will remember the last big electronic consumer mess - the war between VHS, Video 2000 and Beta Max video tape. Well, at the moment it's happening all over again. This is despite DVD being available for the last 4 - 5 years believe it or not.

Kevan

R

Rodney Wrestt

OT
Kevan,
Do you edit video from the DV on your pc, if so do you have a recomendation for a firewire card. I've seen one by Belkin (3 ports, 1 cable and 2 software packages) and another called Dazzle (external USB connection I think) in an electrical goods shop with a dodgy reputation. I've looked in mags without any luck. I would like one that I can connect a video to as well as I have some other videos I would like to edit and transfer to cd as well if such a thing is available or do you think they would require seperate cards?

K

Kevan Farmer

I have an update to this thread. On the 3rd of december last year I sent off my cheque etc for the video set. Problem is, at the time, I didn't know that 'Waterlog' magazine had cocked-up. The advert was from months ago and the ?20 & signed offer had ended. Sue Miles - who administers the sales - had written back to me explaining this on the 4th December. Our wonderful Post Office being its usual efficient self finally delivered this letter to me last weekend on the 5th January.

So, the price if you are interested is now ?25 which is inclusive of P&P. The offer before was free of P&P which is why they were marked as being ?20 per set. My apologies if anybody has sent for the video but I was also misled. I have sent a message to Chris Yates via Hugh Miles asking whether Waterlog has gone into a timewarp with the cane rods, only jokingly of course.

Kevan