FishingMagic Forums

Go Back   FishingMagic Forums > FRESHWATER FISHING FORUMS > General Fishing
Register Forums Blogs Classifieds FAQ Calendar Arcade Search Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28-06-2007, 19:58

nicky is an unknown quantity at this point

After messing about with bolt rig feeders, paternosters, light method feeders etc with maggots corn and worms as bait with little success at connecting with the many bites i've been getting, i eventually caught a good tench using a large drennan method feeder with a boilie.

What is your favourite tench rig when ledgering?
Old 28-06-2007, 20:04

Wendy Perry 2 is an unknown quantity at this point

Nicky have you tried the lift method? I've been using this for a few week now and i love it! I caught my pb tench on this method last week 6lb 7oz.
Old 28-06-2007, 20:18

hi wendy

yes i do use the lift method alot, well done on your pb by the way i'd love to catch one that big.

I've actually caught alot of tench this season already, nothing as big as yours mind but they have nearly all been on my float rod.

I usually take an avon rod as well and put out a ledger/feeder in the hope of that larger fish, although i've been getting lots of bites i've been missing most of them.

So the other day i took my carp rod instead and used one of those heavy drennan method feeders, loaded it up with a huge ball of vitalin and other goodies, i used braid with a line aligner, boilie, and caught a large tench within a few hours.

i had shyed away from this method as i wanted to use a lighter rod and catch them on maggots etc, wondering now wether i would be better off just sticking to the latter method.
Old 28-06-2007, 20:31

john blundell is an unknown quantity at this point

if i'm just ledgering, i always do well with double floating corn popped up on a size 10 Fox armapoint long shank with blow back half the length. I only pop it up usually just over the length of the hook, so it almost sits on the bottom on the knot.

Maybe the total opposite approach to others, but it works for me! To my knowledge, i've not lost a tench on this rig.

I don't like ledgering for tench though. Tench mean floats for me!
Old 28-06-2007, 20:33

Wendy Perry 2 is an unknown quantity at this point

At the moment i love my float fishing, as last season all i ever fished was the feeder method and i felt i wasn't learning anything. The float method is very exciting and it's more rewarding.

I've yet to use braid, so i wouldn't know what advice to give on that.

Good luck with it though Nicky, and let us know how you get on. I fished for 11 hours to get that tench, but worth it!
Old 28-06-2007, 20:41
BAZ (Angel of the North)

Nicky.
Scaled down Carp methods work a treat.

7" hooklength.
Size 10 Drennan boilie hook. With a line aligner.
10 mil boilies nice and soft i.e. spicy shrimp & prawn or most fishmeals.
Small pva bag of midi pellets threaded onto the hooklength.

A lot of people shy away from this kind of method, prefering more traditional methods. But if the Tench are taking Carp baits, which they are, and growing on them, then it makes perfect sense to emulate the Carp lads.
Old 28-06-2007, 20:58
Ged

Had my tench out this year on the pole with pellet and micro pellets soaked in 365 solution. Several 4 and 5 pounders.
Did well a few years back with the waggler and trout pellet paste.
Last year had a good session with light carp tactics, half ounce weight and techni-spice 10 ml boillies.
Old 28-06-2007, 21:14

Mithrandir is an unknown quantity at this point

I have found any fixed rig makes tench nervous because as soon as they feel any resistance they shy off, I have caught some nice Tench, including my PB 7 lb last weekend on a simple running ledger, hair rigged 10mm tutti frutti boilie with at single piece of pop up artificial corn to neutralize some of the weight.

I often find that you get a very gentle drop back bite so a swinger or hanger is essential.

Good luck on your quest, I love tench fishing as they are so subtle on the take.
Old 29-06-2007, 07:41
Stevie 12345

Nicky ive found the method to be most successful this year for the tench also- but one thing I have found is that after a while the fish will shy away from the method ball- and this is time to but a pva bag on (using the same feed as the method ball) and the better fish seem to have more confidence feeding around this.
Old 29-06-2007, 09:41

Thanks everyone for your advice.

Baz when you say scaled down carp tactics what weight lead are you using? I think i may try this out, but i will mould the vitalin around the lead instead of the method feeder as it clings like nothing else and you can introduce all sorts of free offerings without using a pva bag, you can also mould it around the hooklink as well to stop it getting tangled during flight, which is useful for me as i'm using dacron for the hooklink which is really limp and prone to tangling.