what's the best all round method ?

Dutchy

Reaction score
On a recent fishing trip to our local canal
with my son.
We were approached by a father with his young teenage son,the father chatted with us about various aspects of our tackle.
He then asked a question,If you could only choose <u>one method</u> of fishing to cover all situations,canal,commercial (lake ),river,
<u>What would you reccomend</u>
I know this question will get many differing points of view,but i would like to see the outcome,then hopefully on my next fishing trip,i may be able to give the father and son a positive answer.

keith clark

Reaction score
Surely only one answer to this! FLOAT FISHING in all its various forms.What say the rest of you?

T

Terry D

Waggler fishing in all its guises, should cover almost everything I do at the moment.

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
Float fishing is probably the first thing that comes to most peoples mind but that doesn't cover all aspects of fishing does it?

How would you go about fishing a 10 foot deep lake when most of the fish are out by an island which is 60 yards away for instance? I have always been a float first option angler but there are times when it is just not practical. Anything you can do with a float can be done with a lead of some description the only exception I can think of might be fishing half depth or whatever on a river.

For me it is ledgering/feeder fishing which is even acceptable on a canal as well with a couple of AA shot on a link.

E

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

What did you tell him Dutchy ........

or did you just say you didn't know ?

W

Wolfman Woody

Feeder fishing, any day, on the quiver tip!

You can't float fish when the river is hammering through at 30 miles per hour, but you can leger down the inside line and behind trees and roots. As Graham says, when the lake is too deep you might use a sliding float, but a feeder will always find the fish.

Dutchy

Reaction score
My own preference has to be Waggler fishing
from small canal wagglers to sliding floats
on deep water etc;
But as with most methods the techniques and
tackle have limitations,my initial response to them was to get a cheap set of
whips 3,4 and 5m just to let the youngster
gain interest and a bit of confidence in the tackle and his ability to catch fish,and then to move on to waggler fishing.
To be honest it's been playing on my mind
hoping i was able to help them,i wish i had
told them to try various techniques to see what worked best for them.
Anyway thanks for the replies so far.

Chevin

Reaction score
Personally I would say there is no such method! Not only do conditions frequently demand different approaches but so do the fish being targeted. I would never expect to catch rudd on tackle and a method used for weir pool chub - nor would I use a still water roach method for barbel in a river like the Kennet. Tackle and tactics used for reservoir bream are unlikely to catch many pike or zander. etc, etc. For successful fishing one must become familiar with a variety of methods and also be prepared to change the method used during the course of a days fishing. There are no easy ways to success and restricting one's self to one method is only reducing the likelihood of success, not enhancing it.

Andy Mallard

Reaction score
i?d also agree with feeder/ledger technique.

with that you can fish any depth at any speed and localise your feed at any distance. float does limit range and ability to hold in a swim under flow.

Dimitar Yovev

Reaction score
Hi and regards frm Bulgaria! I liked the question as my son (now 10 yrs of age) is often asking me to make him one rod to cover all situations. Being myself a 'float first' enthusiast (waggler mainly and some pole and whip)I do carry always a feeder rod just in case. Recently on a commercial it was so unsuitable for the waggler that we switched to feeder fishing and several up to 5 lbs carps from the far island showed the young one why we carry the extra rods always with us.But frankly - let's face it float masters - You can have a record pike on a 'float', but if after a bonus 30 over carp one goes to the ledger and all the artillery. Rgds Dimi

Clive (Compact Angler ACA)

Reaction score
Hi Dimi - Welcome to Fishing Magic - How is the rod? Did your son like it? Dont forget to let me know if you want any more help with the ferules. Hope to hear more from you in the forum. Kind regards - Clive

Chevin

Reaction score
Posted: 12/07/07 20:23:00 PM
I think it was a hypothetical question Chevin.

Hi Paul, I don't think it was hypothetical as far as the guy who asked the question originally was concerned, I believe that it was a question deserving a reasonable answer. To my mind saying that there was no 'one all round method' for fishing did not say enough, so I made a point of giving comparisons or differences of the fish we target.

Most anglers during their lives have a hankering to discover a method of fishing or a tackle rig that will suffice for every eventuality; I know that I did and I know that if someone asked me that same question at the water side I would give a far more detailed answer to the one space allows here.

Dutchy

Reaction score
It was obvious that this question would create differing opinions,but its good to recieve so much positive feedback.
I imagine the boys father meant that his son had been fishing with friends,and showing real interest,the father wanting to encourage this,maybe as a way of keeping the youngster off the streets ?,or learning to respect the environment,perhaps even for financial reasons.
<u>His son could <u></u>Pick one and only one rod and limited amount of tackle.</u>
Hoping that it wasn't a passing fad.
So in the boys posistion <u></u><u>WHAT WOULD YOU CHOOSE ?..</u>

Dimitar Yovev

Reaction score
Keeping the young one off the PC,the PS,the Nintendos and TV and enjoy the outdoors is the idea, at least before the hormones take center stage. And on the last question - one rod and ltd amnt of tackle - 13'- 15 ' quality rod, good match reel with some spare spools and a selection of floats will be my choice. But mind you - I wouldn't like to be faced with this question in real life - and never let my wife know that I could do with one rod and one reel! Pole fishing just couldn't qualify for 'limited amnt of tackle', but how abt spinning, or fly fishing (which both use one rod and ltd baits or flies),estuary mullet (one rod) or stalking for carp? And the ledger/feeder guys will have a very similar answer and be right as well - very versatile combination for a lot of 'one rod choice' situations.The tackle guys will go out of business if we reach an acceptable answer on this question!