Is Line Diameter more important than Breaking Strain

Is Line Diameter more important than Breaking Strain?

• Yes

Votes: 1 16.7%
  • No

Votes: 5 83.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

steph mckenzie

Reaction score
Ok, hear me out first before shooting me down.

When we are talking about .01 or .02 of a mm, then just how much difference does that make to your catch rate.

For example .. 4lb line that is rated to 0.16mm, yes i know that may not be entirely accurate but it is an example. Now let's say another brand that is stated as 4lb line but rated as 0.15mm.

Now in cases such as these surely the breaking strain has more importance to the fishing it is intended for rather than the diameter of the line?

What ideas or takes do you have on this ?

chub_on_the_block

Reaction score
Depends what it is more important for: diameter may affect visibility to fish and therefore affect number of bites or ability to get any bites. Breaking strain will affect how much force can be applied to keep a hooked fish away from snags to get it on the bank. Its a chiken and egg thing, but if the fish wouldnt take the bait in the first place then diameter is the most important. In reality, both aspects are affected by other factors also. The stated breaking strain may also be wildly inaccurate.

Last edited:

steph mckenzie

Reaction score
Yes, but that only truly factors if both are stated accurately and not being manufactured to increase sales ... not that i am implying in anyway that manufacturers would do such a thing deliberately.

Could we then in theory do away with the Breaking Strain on lines and rely purely on Diameter as a measurement?

dangermouse

Reaction score
Saw something about this on another forum and iirc the general consensus was use b/s for mainline and dia for hook lengths. Presumably a finer diameter is better for presentation.

steph mckenzie

Reaction score
If Mainline had Breaking Strain and Hook Length material had Diameter, how would you know what diameter line was suitable to which breaking strain unless it was stated on the hook length spool (suitable for 3lb line and below)

chub_on_the_block

Reaction score
I agree with Dangermouses post. I would still want to know the BS of a hooklength and mainline - important to match with the power of the rod. I could use an ultra low diameter braid on a match rod and end up smashing the tip if i didnt realise it was 12Ib BS.

dangermouse

Reaction score
If Mainline had Breaking Strain and Hook Length material had Diameter, how would you know what diameter line was suitable to which breaking strain unless it was stated on the hook length spool (suitable for 3lb line and below)

You need both measurements on the line but in the case of mainline the b/s is the more important measurement whilst on hook lengths the diameter takes precedence.

Reaction score
Look at it this way:

An increase in diameter of 0.01mm on a 0.15mm diameter line equates to a 6.7% increase in diameter. That then goes on to have a significant effect on line stiffness, weight, etc.

steph mckenzie

Reaction score
Yes, i can understand that much of it, however, is it more important to you as an angler than the breaking strain?

dangermouse

Reaction score
Yes, i can understand that much of it, however, is it more important to you as an angler than the breaking strain?

I only got back into angling last year after a long break so the whole dia thing is still a bit strange to me and I tend to think in terms of b/s so I guess my answer would be no.

Reaction score
Line dia is not more important than BS or vice versa - they have to go hand in hand. Otherwise we would all just choose a really thin line for invisibility and limpness and not worry about BS.

Now, go and think about some more questions.

steph mckenzie

Reaction score
Ah ... you don't have a definitive answer then Mr Corker.

It was a personal choice question, which do you look for when choosing a line and whether or not one or the other would influence what line you chose to buy. In the end, regardless of whether both are stated on the spool, is the line diameter more important to you than the breaking strain ?

I am not sure i should ask anymore questions if this is already proving to challenging.

---------- Post added at 14:34 ---------- Previous post was at 14:30 ----------

Simple Example :

2 spools of line are on a Shelf, Both state that they are 4lb breaking strain, however, 1 says it is 0.16mm in diameter and the other says it is 0.15mm in diameter.

Would you buy the 0.15mm diameter line because it is stated as being of a lesser diameter?

Some people make this bloody hard work sometimes.

Reaction score
Steph

I gave you a definitive answer - you just don't understand it.

They're not independent, they go hand in hand and what is required is a balance.

It's like asking me what is more important to me as a human - fresh water or oxygen FFS!!!!

I use Kryston Incognito for hook lengths sometimes.

It comes in a range of diamters. 2 of them are rated at 9lb bs and 11lb bs - the 9lb being the thinner of the two.

However, in tests done by Kryston the '9lb' breaks at the same load as the 11lb - in effect rating it at 11lb - but its thinner and more supple.

So I tend to opt for the 9lb. But the 11lb offers a slightly thicker line if slightly more abrasion resistance is required

---------- Post added at 14:41 ---------- Previous post was at 14:39 ----------

2 spools of line are on a Shelf, Both state that they are 4lb breaking strain, however, 1 says it is 0.16mm in diameter and the other says it is 0.15mm in diameter.

Would you buy the 0.15mm diameter line because it is stated as being of a lesser diameter?

That wasn't your question Steph. You asked 'Is line diameter more important than BS?'

chub_on_the_block

Reaction score

Would you buy the 0.15mm diameter line because it is stated as being of a lesser diameter?.

In that example, if line had identical properties in all other respects than diameter, i would go for the 0.15mm. But my choice of line would be set by the BS i was looking for - ie i may want 4Ib ish hooklength for tench, which suits a particular rod i a may be using, rather than a target line diameter. That would be meaningless as the BS could range from 2-14Ib depending upon the material.

barbelboi

Reaction score
IMO A lot depends on where you’re fishing for what you’re fishing for and I would expect to have a guideline b/s to the diameter. For bottom fishing, be it rivers or pits, the bed needs to be considered in respect of line abrasion, snags, etc., so I would be looking an abrasion resistant line with a reasonably low diameter for it’s given breaking strain – similar to Pro-Gold for example. I don’t believe that hook length diameter is as important in this instance, rather presentation. I.e. Incognito and Drennan Sink Braid are not going to be the lowest diameter hook lengths (with many increasing the b/s of braid over the main line) available but doth do their job very well if presented in the right manner.

For float fishing for smaller fish, particularly in clearer water conditions be it flowing or still, I’d go for the lowest diameter I thought I could get away with and rely on the rod action and my clutch (thumb or drag depending on reel) to do it’s job. It’s surprising the size of fish that may be banked on very light gear so long as it’s all balanced.
Jerry
PS Not voting because I believe knowledge of both is important

Last edited:

sam vimes

Reaction score
Many match anglers seem to base all their thinking on diameters. They seem quite happy to use a thick mainline rated at 4lb with a thinner hooklength rated at 5lb. The assumption seems to be that the higher diameter mainline will have an understated breaking strain and the thinner "high-tech" hooklength will be overstated. I suspect that there's some truth in that but I won't put a fish at risk on an assumption.

Carping aside, I'll invariably use a relatively strong mainline and not give a fig for the diameter. Hooklengths will be of a lower breaking strain as the primary consideration. After that, I'll worry about the diameter, using the thinnest possible where I can.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
When I buy a line I want to know both the B/S and the diameter. The diameters of lines of any breaking strain vary so much that imo you need to know both.
Lines such as daiwa sensor usually break well above their stated B/S and many of the low diameter lines break well below thair stated B/S. That's why I often use a 6 or 7lb low diameter gut bottom when using say 6lb sensor as it will break well before the sensor.
For most of my fishing unless i'm targetting verry shy biting fish I like to fish straight through. That why the only weak spot is my hook knot. I can say in all honesty that when fishing straight through i've never been snapped off. If i've got snagged/ hooked to a snag a straight pull has always left my hook alone in the snag or the hook has straightend out and pulled free.