Is this common practice?

Lee Woodhouse

Reaction score
Iran a match yesterday where on one of the pegs a pike angler was already fishing, he packed up and moved without much argument.

When he went walking past me i asked about the fish in his livebait bucket and told him that no fish were to be removed from the venue, he said they belonged to him....

In the bucket were between 10 and 15 small carp,not really a surprise until you realise the venue is a canal in the middle of Wolverhampton where no one has ever caught a carp in any matches that i've ever been on, He said they were out of his pond.

He is now banned...Do these morons realise the potential problems they could be causing to the resident carp, some of which are approaching 30lb.

The Monk

Reaction score
Its is of course illegal to potentially introduce fish to a fishery without a section 30, sadly a lot of it goes on

Lee Woodhouse

Reaction score
They have been in there for years, the Mainline canal is part of the BCN, It joins the Staffs/Worcs, Walsall canal and Wryley/Essington which all have populations of carp.

barry dix

Reaction score
Protecting our waterways from alien invaders and the spread of disease from other venues is an almost impossible task as policing thousands of miles of river, canal, and lake is impractical, but an angler should have more sense than this chap displayed. If fishermen can't see the dangers of introducing fish without the correct safeguards how can we expect the man in the street to know?

Lee Woodhouse

Reaction score
I'm no expert but they looked like farmed fish, i'm not sure whether they were F1's or small commons. Looked in good nick and all about the same size (4 inches long)

B

Baz (Angel of the North)

He is now banned.

GOOD! and hopefully from every fishery in the area.

honslow

Reaction score
You didn't recognise him did you?/forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif

DZ

Reaction score
Get 'im Greg

Name shame and publicly maime

That reminds me- someone needs to have a word with whoever started those summer floods- cos he needs a propa good bop on the nose. Millions of £ worth of crap now cruising the W.Avon and Severn and those 20lb+ers are really playing havoc with my bleak hunting.

T

trev matthews (100M bronze)

Perhaps the carp got into his pond via the floods in the first place. Perhaps they could even have escaped out of his and anybody else's pond and got into the canal. Was the section pegged for a match well before the match was due to start ? Did he know there was going to be a match ? was he asked to move or was he forced to move ?

I was sat at a local lake in the midlands once and I had sorted out my kit and mixed and thrown in some groundbait (quite a bit actually) cos I was after Bream when I was approached by a chap who told me to bugger off because they were having a match, he didnt like it when I told him there was nothing at the entrance to the fishery to say there was a match and there was no way he was allowed to demand that I move. In the end they pegged the match round me. And yes if I hadnt already put in most of my groundbait, I would have moved.

J

John Howard

One fairly sure way of proving or disproving where the fish came from is.... Was he carrying float/leger rod? If not how were they caught?

I understand that an EA Bailiff will acept the fact that live baits were caught in situ only if a keep net is used and evidnce of the tackle required to catch them.

Paul H

Reaction score
Derbyshire: best beer, best cheese, best puddings.
'Where no one has ever caught a carp in any matches that i've ever been on...'

'The resident carp, some of which are approaching 30lb...'

I wondered about that too Matt.

Doesn't affect the issue of illegally introducing live fish to a water though. If you want to fish lives then 3 simple rule to follow.

1. Are you allowed to by club rules?

2. Catch them from the venue you're fishing.

3. Put any back that you don't use.

Job done.

Lee Woodhouse

Reaction score
We have never caught any in matches but i've seencarp anglers catch them up to 26lb stalking them in summer. I've never seen any small carp.

1. Are you allowed to by club rules? I have not got a problem with people using lives

2. Catch them from the venue you're fishing. catching a few should not be a problem. the last two matches have been won with 20lb+ weights of roach and skimmers.

3. Put any back that you don't use.

Mark Hewitt

Reaction score
<blockquote class=quoteheader>Greg wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>You didn't recognise him did you?/forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif</blockquote>

I think I know who you mean Greg /forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif

By all accounts he was up to his old tricks with his latest big fish......from a canal?

DZ

Reaction score
aaah HIM

Boatforsalewhonickedmyboatgottohimthocoshesabigfriendlypikey

Paul H

Reaction score
Derbyshire: best beer, best cheese, best puddings.
Wasn't criticising you there Lee if that's how it came across.

My 3 rules are what I follow if I decide to try live-baiting.

Importing fish of any species to a venue without EA approvalis both illegal and irresponsible as we all know.

Ian Whittaker

Reaction score
"I understand that an EA Bailiff will acept the fact that live baits were caught in situ only if a keep net is used and evidnce of the tackle required to catch them."

Landing net and bait bucketshould be acceptable .

Personally I don't own a keepnet.

I think they are horrible things "anglers" cram fish into .