Hugh Fearnley whittingstall and marine conservation protests

theartist

Reaction score
Just read that there are going to be over 30 new marine conservation sites around the uk by the end of the year. I don't know what that entails but would there be less cormorants wintering inland if fish stocks in the sea increase?

The bad one

Reaction score
Possibly over time yes and coupled with the Windfarm Boxes which because of the cables/equipment they can't fish in, they will become refuges for stocks to increase. The timescale is likely to be 10-20 years hence before the fruits of these measures start to show up.

It needs in my view coupling with a fully "sustainable" catch/take policy outside these refuges, probably out a further 20 or so miles. This would give the fish time to disperse into the ocean unhindered. If this doesn't happen, all that will happen will be the boats will be waiting for the semi-mature stocks to migrate at certain times of the year and exploiting them beyond sustainable limits.
Then there really wouldn't be much point in having the conservation areas as the unsustainable practices would just continue just outside the areas.

tiinker

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I think it is a very good thing to have these nursery areas as long as they are not abused as for making any differce to the black plague I think not the only way to deal with them is to destroy all the birds breeding in this country and that will thin them out but whether it will ever happen I think not it has been left to long.