FishingMagic Forums

Go Back   FishingMagic Forums > FRESHWATER FISHING FORUMS > General Fishing
Register Forums Blogs Classifieds FAQ Calendar Arcade Search Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26-02-2013, 14:48

theartist is on a distinguished road
Default Hugh Fearnley whittingstall and marine conservation protests

Just read that there are going to be over 30 new marine conservation sites around the uk by the end of the year. I don't know what that entails but would there be less cormorants wintering inland if fish stocks in the sea increase?
Old 26-02-2013, 15:23

The bad one is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Hugh Fearnley whittingstall and marine conservation protests

Possibly over time yes and coupled with the Windfarm Boxes which because of the cables/equipment they can't fish in, they will become refuges for stocks to increase. The timescale is likely to be 10-20 years hence before the fruits of these measures start to show up.

It needs in my view coupling with a fully "sustainable" catch/take policy outside these refuges, probably out a further 20 or so miles. This would give the fish time to disperse into the ocean unhindered. If this doesn't happen, all that will happen will be the boats will be waiting for the semi-mature stocks to migrate at certain times of the year and exploiting them beyond sustainable limits.
Then there really wouldn't be much point in having the conservation areas as the unsustainable practices would just continue just outside the areas.
Old 26-02-2013, 15:29
Banned

tiinker is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Hugh Fearnley whittingstall and marine conservation protests

I think it is a very good thing to have these nursery areas as long as they are not abused as for making any differce to the black plague I think not the only way to deal with them is to destroy all the birds breeding in this country and that will thin them out but whether it will ever happen I think not it has been left to long.