Happy Ever After-Life...

maverick 7

Reaction score
Here is a true story I have told before........

You all know Hampton Loade on the River Severn and I suspect most of you are aware of the Unicorn Inn that stands about 150 yards away from the bank there.

Well, the Inn supplies chalets for anglers...I think they have around 7 or 8 maybe and me and my pals stayed there for 4 days one year not too long ago. We had just had our evening meal in the pub after a pretty good days fishing and we intended being up early the next morning so we retired to bed.

At about 3.00 am I was awakened by a rustling sound....the same noise that scrunching a carrier bag would make. I thought I must have left some groundbait or something outside and an animal was sniffing around it. I got out of bed to investigate, I opend the front door and there was no sign of anything there. I went back in the room and noticed that there was a carrier bag by the front door, there was also an almost empty plastic 1 litre Coke bottle there as well.

After deciding there was nothing there I went back to bed...I was in bed about 5 minutes when I heard a... dum..dum...dum..dum.dumdumdumdum. The same sound that an almost empty plastic bottle makes when it's knocked over on a hard floor. I turned the lights on, got back out of bed and sure enough the bottle was laying on the floor......How the **ck did that happen ...I thought to myself and I was just about to get back into bed...... when a very strong breeze blew straight into the front of my body and face...it seemed to go straight through me......the door was closed shut and there was no windows open.

When the strong breeze passed there was a very sweet smell left behind in the room....like perfume. After that I just fell asleep.

The next morning when we was all in the breakfast room....I told my pals about it and they all laughed and said I must have been dreaming etc etc etc One of the waiter ladies came over to our table and I asked her if there had been any "problems" in any of the chalets....She didn't know what I meant until I told her and she replied..."Oh, so you have had a visit from our resident lady ghost have you"....then I remembered the sweet smell of perfume... I mentioned it to the waiter lady and she said "Yes, that's right...that always happens"...

My mates was cra*ping themselves after hearing this and the next night was complete chaos.....none of them wanted to sleep on their own ...it was so funny.

After the conversation with the waiter lady....another woman who was sat close by in the breakfast room had overheard the conversation and came over to tell us that she too has had strange experiences with a lady figure she has seen several times..

The story goes that the lady ghost was thrown from a train carriage by her lover that was travelling on the Severn Valley line that runs just behind the inn.... when she was alive of course. According to the staff there ....there is more than one ghost as well, but I experienced just the one.

I am not a man that is easily convinced about these sort of things...but I swear that everything I have told you in this story is absolutely true....

Luckily though, the fishing was fantastic on the stretch just above the natural weir there....The Gravel Stretch...as we called it.

...so what do you think about that and has anybody else had similar experiences?

Maverick

Last edited:

dorsetandchub

Reaction score
One slightly strange thing did happen to me on the River Severn at Ironbridge a good few years ago now. After packing up in the half light of a late Summer's evening, I saw an unlit boat approaching which I thought was a bit unsafe. After it passed me, it dawned on me that I didn't see anybody on it and it looked quite an old boat. A while after, my mind wandered back to that day and I realised I could not see how the boat was powered.

Whilst undertaking research for a degree a few years back, I read that this stretch of the river was frequently used for moving the bodies of plague victims.

As a Northener by birth, I'm supposed to be far too pragmatic to believe in such stuff but I do wonder.....

Thanks for your story, interesting reading.

maverick 7

Reaction score
One slightly strange thing did happen to me on the River Severn at Ironbridge a good few years ago now. After packing up in the half light of a late Summer's evening, I saw an unlit boat approaching which I thought was a bit unsafe. After it passed me, it dawned on me that I didn't see anybody on it and it looked quite an old boat. A while after, my mind wandered back to that day and I realised I could not see how the boat was powered.

Whilst undertaking research for a degree a few years back, I read that this stretch of the river was frequently used for moving the bodies of plague victims.

As a Northener by birth, I'm supposed to be far too pragmatic to believe in such stuff but I do wonder.....

Thanks for your story, interesting reading.

Your story was fascinating too dorset......like you I am a northerner and we tend to say around here that...it's not the ones that are dead you have to be afraid of...it's the ones that are still living you have to watch.

The sight of that boat must have been quite a sight...it always seems to be after the event when you really realise that something wasn't quite right.

We was coming home from a session and we was all in the van with me driving and we saw what looked like a small lad dressed in top hat and tails. On seeing him we all thought he must have been at some sort of party...but as we drew nearer...we saw that he was in fact a midget that had a very old face...and not a young boy.....As we drove past him , he doffed his top hat and made a bowing gesture.

When we got back to our caravan....it struck us that we were in the middle of nowhere and there was one house behind him that looked deserted and certainly no sign of a party going on there. I don't know what was going on there ...but I think something was not quite right.

Thanks for your response Dorset....

Maverick

dorsetandchub

Reaction score
Maverick,

I've honestly never seen anything that really got my hackles up, spooky-wise.

My Dad's seen a ghost but me? Nope, never been so lucky.

Like you say, it's the living that give you the problems.

There must be loads and loads of fishing ghost stories. They'd make a great book, wouldn't they?? I'd read it at Christmas, definitely.

maverick 7

Reaction score
Maverick,

I've honestly never seen anything that really got my hackles up, spooky-wise.

My Dad's seen a ghost but me? Nope, never been so lucky.

Like you say, it's the living that give you the problems.

There must be loads and loads of fishing ghost stories. They'd make a great book, wouldn't they?? I'd read it at Christmas, definitely.

Me too mate....I do find that kind of stuff intriguing although I never believed in things like that until the Severn incident.

I have told the same story on my last forum and it attracted quite a bit of interest, it escalated to believing in God and all sorts of things....turned out to be quite an interesting thread ..... but here on FM Dorset.....it looks like me and you are the only ones interested in that sort of thing mate.....:confused:......never mind

Talk to you later mate....

Maverick

Last edited:

maverick 7

Reaction score
I think that is a sensible thing to do your lordship......I too know a few level headed people who have been in a bit of a state over this kind of stuff.

One of my neighbours, who I have known since I was a young lad......was stood on his lawn one day looking pretty miserable.....I asked him what was wrong and he told me that they had a poltergeist in the house... WHAT!! ...I could see that his wife had lost a lot of weight....and apparently the worry about this was the cause.

He continued to tell me that one evening just before Christmas... it had ripped off the lights that they had around the window...and threw them across the room. It has also threw them both out of bed too....these incidents went on for a few weeks until they got a priest in to exorcise the house. I saw the priest go into the house and he didn't come out until the next morning.....they have never had any problems since.

The estate we both lived on was built on a dog racing track and the priest suggested that the poltergeist was the spirit of a murdered man who was knifed because of unpaid debt with one of the bookies.......who knows?

These are really nice... and quite intelligent people I'm talking about here and I KNOW he wouldn't say that if it wasn't true....Like I said, I've known him donkey's years.

Maverick

Last edited:

dorsetandchub

Reaction score
The scientist in me wants to dismiss the paranormal as complete rubbish but the poet in me wants to believe - so my mind (and my notebook) remain open....

maverick 7

Reaction score
The scientist in me wants to dismiss the paranormal as complete rubbish but the poet in me wants to believe - so my mind (and my notebook) remain open....

It's very difficult Dorset.....you don't want to appear a wuss when talking about this subject ......but you simply cannot ignore the hard evidence.

Maverick

Merv Harrison

Reaction score
Someone I knew had a Priest in to 'exorcise' an entity from his home.........

Unfortunately he did'nt pay the Priest, so the Priest had his house re-possessed :eek::eek::D

dorsetandchub

Reaction score
Maverick,

My Dad has seen a ghost so who am I to doubt?? Guess I just haven't experienced enough evidence myself yet - have caught a few ghost carp but that's as close as I've got!!!

maverick 7

Reaction score
Someone I knew had a Priest in to 'exorcise' an entity from his home.........

Unfortunately he did'nt pay the Priest, so the Priest had his house re-possessed :eek::eek::D

Very funny Merv......very funny.....:D

Maverick

---------- Post added at 15:56 ---------- Previous post was at 15:54 ----------

Maverick,

My Dad has seen a ghost so who am I to doubt?? Guess I just haven't experienced enough evidence myself yet - have caught a few ghost carp but that's as close as I've got!!!

...and you have seen a ghost ship.........:eek:

Maverick

paul80

Reaction score
Personaly I choose to live an evidence based life, so that covers all things like ghosts, spirits, religion, god, etc if there is no evidence I don't believe in it.

I am always more than happy to change my mind if and when evidence becomes available though.

Paul

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
Fascinating stuff. I've an open mind on it and I've never seen anything that I could not explain rationally [bar my kids of course] but I certainly sense things at times. There are places I've been to that just felt wrong to me.My aunt lived in an old house in lincolnshire and there was one part I simply could not physically enter. Other people in the family have seen things there on occasion but not me.

I loved that house too...the rest of it at least which I got no negative vibes off whatsoever. The part I didn't like was where a staircase crossed over where another cottage stood [it was a row of three knocked into 2] and I can only guess that this feeling had something to do with events in the part of the row that was no longer occupied.

I seem to have grown less sensitive [or more sensible ?] as I've got older but I still back myself to know if a place is "right" or not. I suppose I'm the human equivalent of the growling dog with the hair on its back stood up. I just sort of know.

TBH its not a "gift" I particularly enjoy having. Once or twice the "vibe" has been so strong that it really was quite unnerving. I didn't...and still dont...like it at all.

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
As a confirmed atheist I have no belief in god, so the idea of the supernatural is a bit difficult to comprehend. I do believe we have senses that can pick up on potentially dangerous situations though and at times these senses and feelings can be tripped. In my own case I get a feeling of trepidation just prior to the event, I don't think its supernatural but a throwback to when man lived in more perilous times. I have lost count of the times that I have been somewhere and things have kicked off and I have had a premonition that this was going to happen.

One night in Eltham, very near to where Stephen Lawrence was murdered I was walking to the bus stop when I sensed that there was someone close by, I stopped dead and an arm passed over my shoulder, I grabbed the guy hard by the back of his neck and turned his face towards me, I thought at first it was a mate playing a prank but I didn't know him or the other three guys he was with. As I had him fast, I put him between myself and his mates then stuffed his head into a newly trimmed privet hedge, at which point I remembered an old adage:

He who ups and runs away lives to fight another day,
but he who stays and and gives his all ends up in the hospital.

I had it away on my toes. The thing is; I didn't hear the guy, but just sensed he was there.

Merv Harrison

Reaction score
Not angling related, i've not only seen a Ghost/Spirit, but we had a short conversation............

Not going into it again, but I have recalled the incident on FM a couple of times.

maverick 7

Reaction score
I believe in it...'cos I have seen the hard evidence for myself....

...and my pal who lived just down the road from me....that poltergeist scared him out of his wits and his wife too.

Imagine sat there in the room watching the Christmas TV and ...Bang....all your Christmas lights go flying across the room and smashing into the opposite wall.

I remember him telling me when it threw them both out of bed.....I said to him......"I'll tell you what mate...it would only throw me out once"... if that had happened to me you wouldn't have seen my asre for dust.

Maverick

dorsetandchub

Reaction score
You had a conversation with a ghost, Merv?? Wow. As a newbie who's not heard your heard your story - would you consider a Christmas or Easter retelling? Love to hear it....