Your favourite "can't do"... ?

B

binka

Does anyone have a type of fishing that they would really like to (realistically) do within the UK but you don’t because of the impracticalities of your location or maybe the cost involved?

I’ve long been thinking about shore sea fishing having really enjoyed it when I’ve dabbled in places like Pemberth and Lamorna Cove in Cornwall and I’d dearly like to try beach fishing for cod along with estuary conger at night, bass from the rocks and don’t even mention mullet on the float :)

I have often wondered about moving out to a coastel area later in life but reckon I’d miss my river too much.

Anyone else ever find their imaginations drifting off in such directions... and if so what are they and what are your reasons for not doing it?

richiekelly

Reaction score
I would like to be able to trot a float for Barbel but I cant stand for long enough and I have a condition in my right arm that makes it shake a lot, not good for presentation and is also the reason why I never walk about with my right hand in my pocket :)

tiinker

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
My biggest cannot do is fish the area off Alderney Called the Casketts and is one of the best Bass fishing grounds in Europe. It is also one of the most dangerous areas of sea in the world. The Alderney boats do not Take anglers in there to fish as they fish it commercially with outriggers and lures for the bass and the skippers from Guernsey and Jersey will not go in there. We used to fish it with a Guernsey skipper Arnie Braehart known as Arnie the bass. Unfortunately when he died it was the end of our bass trips. I have been told in the last year that visiting boats using Alderney are warned off in no uncertain terms. The other channel island skipper will not go in the area. Arnie was the only man who went in the Casketts and alas he has been gone some ten years or more. Some of the reefs and races we fished were out of this world in more ways than you could dream of. His knowledge went with him.

Bob Hornegold

Reaction score
Salmon Fishing

Not many Salmon around Norf London and as a pensioner I don't they are a realistic target:)

Bob

tiinker

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Salmon Fishing

Not many Salmon around Norf London and as a pensioner I don't they are a realistic target:)

Bob

Try the London dock system been stories of sea trout and salmon coming out of there for years on spinners. Afriend of mine see his first salmon leap off Rainham marshes this year about 20 feet out while fishing for bass.

Paul Boote

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
No such thing as 'can't'. Its all possible if you want it enough innit...

I see it now (and wholly approve of it), a radical way to get kids into Angling now - Mass Guestings and Fish-Ins ... Test (Testwood, Nursling and Broadlands), Itchen (middle and upper reaches), one or two still roach-choked bits of the Hants Avon, Meon, Beaulieu, Helmsdale, Kharlovka, a fair bit in Iceland, Rios Grande and Gallegos, Towy (Abercothi and Golden Grove), Redmire (1950s version), certain trout rivers in the Peak District....

Turn up mob-handed and fish the living something out of them (as I have a number of them, single-handed)

Thrills, spills and much much else - sure to hook the lads and lasses for life.

Paul Boote

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
One of the best dishes I have ever eaten, Zander. A 16-pounder taken by a French angler from the mighty Loire on the lead-headed "leurre souple" (that's shads and the like to us nowadays) in the early 1980s.

Glasses of wine were poured and drunk on the bank (anyone fishing within several hundred metres being invited), then a party that evening at the captor's home in a nearby town. Fine fine meal and wine, even better fishing- and Rugby Union-mad company.

Last edited:

Keith M

Reaction score
Zander fishing, especially in rivers. There are no close waters nearby.

Zander are the only *British coarse fish I haven't caught yet and I would love to catch a few but like Terry there's not many waters near me that hold them.

NB *: I know they are not strictly natives but they have become established for many years now and deserve to be called native LOL...

symonh2000

Reaction score
I have heard of a few in the middle parts of the Thames too around Oxford, although that was many years ago.

You would think that there would be more of them now.