Reel for lure and light float work?

neil1970

Reaction score
I thought I saw a thread covering this recently, but can't find it.

I'd like some advice on a new reel, £40 budget, give or take a couple of quid.

I need it for lure fishing (drop shotting and jigging mainly, and some float work, 2lb line.

Any recommendations appreciated.

danielecerullo

Reaction score
Drenan series 7 reels are spot on for the money, nice smooth drag and comes with 2 spare spools, look into them mate!

paul1234

Reaction score
Theres a little okuma reel that looks nice:safina pro fd,looks a tidy reel,had a dabble with one a few months ago,was a great little reel,unfortunately i didn't have any money,but it was only 20quid,think it is designed for spinning,though im sure it would be ok for light float work

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

symonh2000

Reaction score
I have a cheap and cheerful Shakespeare Beta 40RD that I use for light spinning and occasional float work.

Cost me around £10...

It hasn't let me down yet, although I will probably replace it with something better in the near future.

For £40 you should be able to bag something pretty decent, Shakespeare, Abu, Mitchell, Okuma, Shimano etc all do decent reels in that price range.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I was in NWest angling recently and I had a quick nosey at the reels. There was a reel next to the drennan reels that looked quite nice. Anyhow I picked it up and had a good look over it and it really did outclass the drennan reels, it felt more solid and appeared to be of a much better build quality than the drennan reels and it was cheaper than the drennan reels also ! It was a Browning, i'm not 100% sure but I think it may have been called a Browning backfire, for 40 notes it looked spot on.

robtherake

Reaction score
Check out Boyes stores, who have a sale on at the mo. They have a Shakespeare front drag reel in a silver finish (can't remember the name, dammit!) reduced from £40 to £20.

It has 6 bearings, choice of single and double handles plus 3 alloy spools, all in a decent compartmentalised reel case. I almost bought one for light spinning - it feels as good as the Exage I'm currently using for that job.

Also, look at the current discounts at Chapman's Angling. Can't vouch for it (never seen one in the flesh), but they're offering a Fox Diablo reel at £40 - RRP £120!

neil1970

Reaction score
just been down the tackle shop and handled a few reels, including a couple mentioned above.

I eventually went over budget :rolleyes: and bought myself a drennan fd3000.
Nice small reel with 3 shallow spools, one of which is now wearing some 13lb fox jig silk.

Thanks again for the recommendations.

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Take a look at the Budget end of the Daiwa range, the Crossfire is a cracking little reel for the money ;)

Take a look on here:
http://www.harrissportsmail.com/

They have some superb Daiwa front drag reels on special, procast and megaforce, two really good front drag reels for not a lot of money! :)

Just noticed that you have got your reel, nevermind hey, take a look at the Harris site though, loads of good gear and lures and their service and prices are spot on! I have been using them for years and never had a problem with them ;)

Last edited:

trotter2

Reaction score
Hi those Drennan FD 3000 are nice little reels. But a word of advice is keep the receipt, mine developed a fault with the bail arm after about 6 goes. It was replaced Ok. But just thought I would mention it just in case.

A nice little reel is those stradic "look a likes" by Rovex

barbelboi

Reaction score
just been down the tackle shop and handled a few reels, including a couple mentioned above.

I eventually went over budget :rolleyes: and bought myself a drennan fd3000.
Nice small reel with 3 shallow spools, one of which is now wearing some 13lb fox jig silk.

Thanks again for the recommendations.

Neil, if you're using the jig silk for drop shotting I'd appreciate it if you could relay an opinion after a bit of use..thanks............

Laurie Harper

Reaction score
Love my stradics also. Have a twin power, too, which is even nicer. Have to say, though, that the Drennan FDs look and feel great, especially for the money. If I didn't have my Shimanos, I'd be very tempted.