Sinking Pellets

beduth

Reaction score
I expect this has been asked on the Forum before, but when fishing with either 4/6 mil pellets , what is the best way to prepare 2 mil for loose feeding .

sagalout

Reaction score
Loose feed pellets can be feed dry, although the smaller ones especially 2mm can have a tendency to float.

To soak a pellet to make it sink and start the break down process put some in a tub, cover with water and leave for 1 minute per mm of pellet, so 2mm 2 minutes, 4 mm 4 minutes, etc and then drain. Leave to stand for 15 minutes giving them an occasional stir to separate them. Flavours, etc can be added to the water before soaking.

beduth

Reaction score
Thanks for replying ,Already tried what you suggested on yesterday on my local pool , but pellets still floated , perhaps I did not leave them long enough to soak in water ?
Beduth

laguna

Reaction score
Thanks for replying ,Already tried what you suggested on yesterday on my local pool , but pellets still floated , perhaps I did not leave them long enough to soak in water ?
Beduth

Absorbent pellets are more likely to float due to the trapped air within. Higher oil content pellets are generally dense and dont require soaking - its the tiny air bubbles clinging to the outside of micro pellets that make them float.

Suggest you fill a tub with water and mix in some pellets until they sink or use a pellet pump if your having problems.

beduth

Reaction score
To be honest not too sure , could be , but in future will keep to Ringers , ( not advertising ) but have been told , I wont go far wrong with brand .

caesarson

Reaction score
You could have bought a fisheries own expander pellets. Which means that you where ment to use a pellet pump on them. This will extract the air from them making them sink.

But stick a named brand in your local tackle shop and they will all sink. Never had any issues with sinking feeding pellets shop bought

sagalout

Reaction score
I've got confused now. The loose feed pellets shouldn't be expanders, they should be a normal feed pellet. Normally expanders need pumping and are very expensive. The original post mentioned 2mm feed pellets so I assumed something like skretting or coppens.

dorsetandchub

Reaction score
On the subject of pumping pellets, recently purchased a Ringer's pellet pump. Excellent piece of kit. Seems to be very well made. :)