How did you get on?

B

binka

Had a very enjoyable day out with flightliner again yesterday.

We met in a layby just before 8am where I was already admiring a charming array of dumped rubbish which included pizza boxes, empty beer cans and two pairs of lacy women’s knickers (yes, I did try but they weren’t my size and I got ‘em wedged around me thighs but reckon I could have eventually wriggled into ‘em if flighty had been another five minutes behind time).

On to the fishery and it was the lake that I had been enjoying such good sessions on recently but with the noticeable difference that the wind had turned to a fresh northerly instead of the warm southerlys which I’m certain were the driving factor over the previous couple of weekends.

Uncertainty on what to do… ?

Get on the end of a cool northerly in the theory that the fish would still be on the end of the wind or fish the same bank that had been producing the previous couple of weekends but which was this time sheltered?

After eyeing up a couple of swims and seeing that there was plenty of colour in the water we opted for the same bank which had been producing previously, at least if we had got it wrong we would have a far more comfortable days fishing hidden from that cool wind.

All geared up with a dibber rig and in we went, a bit of feed to kick things off and it wasn’t that long before I was into my first fish which was a decent perch of around a pound and I thought that we were on for a similar session to those of the last couple of weekends but it wasn’t to be.

Despite us both taking fish on the float throughout the day it was very slow going by comparison and I honestly don’t believe we would have been any better off with the wind in our faces on the opposite shore, it was simply a case of drastically changed and cooler conditions altering the mood of the fish.

That didn’t stop us enjoying a good old banter though along with the day in general and flighty had an excellent late run of roach on the waggler before we both gave it the last half an hour back under the rod tip on the worm for that big perch or roach but it didn’t materialise.

We parted in the darkness after having had a good day at it and a good day in many respects, by this time there was definitely that whiff of damp in the chilly evening air.

Thanks for the excellent company flight, look forward to the next one :w

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
You want an accident arranging? :)

I'm the accident at the moment. Dave is a very good angler and hes on home turf so at the moment I feel like Brentford at Old Trafford. He had another fish later which had my rig in its gob but he thinks it just picked the bait up after whatever did me shook it free.

Hook was a long way down but he got it out and the fish went back strongly so that's a relief.

flightliner

Reaction score
Steve, a really good day out despite the relatively poor returns. The venue is so nice, even my peg had a manicured look about it-- better even than my lawn at home. I can well see how the venue has been producing such good catches for you in recant weeks-- a real pity the weather had to put the boot in.
My shout next time, the tidal Trent maybe on a stretch where we can chase a barbel or two would be nice.
Incidentally ,I did clock you on the laybye from a distance while you were hopping on one leg--- its a good job I cant upload my piks on here,:D
Crow--- it's my turn to give the worms a talking to next time out!!! :D

dorsetandchub

Reaction score
I'm the accident at the moment. Dave is a very good angler and hes on home turf so at the moment I feel like Brentford at Old Trafford. He had another fish later which had my rig in its gob but he thinks it just picked the bait up after whatever did me shook it free.

Hook was a long way down but he got it out and the fish went back strongly so that's a relief.

I'd be a bit careful, I reckon Brentford could sneak a 1 - 1. :)

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Dropped the mrs off at the boot sale again today (before the sun had risen propper) . Rather than be subjected to the hustle and bustle of people and having to inhale their expelled cig fumes etc I had a mooch on the canal with the lure rod. As usual I started catching perch and small pike right away and lost count of the perch I caught. None of them where very big with the biggest probably topping the pound mark but it was good fun. In one spot where there seemed to be a few perch lurking I caught fish with one lure then when they stopped obliging I swapped the lure for another. I caught a few fish one three different lures before they'd decided to keep clear of invasive objects. Here's three fish from the same spot with three different lures....

Last edited:

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score

My perilous peg on the Thames today at Staines upon Thames. The slope down was that steep I had to sit down and skid down the slippy bank to my box.
Set up Drennan peacock waggler with a 5BB bulk and droppers 20 Kamasan wide gape hook. Chucked out 10 baby heads of ground bait and catttyed a pint of hemp around 20 yards out in the sluggish flow. Depth was around 12ft.
Also set up a 4m whip for closer in. First few chucks on the whip produced a few lively perch to maggot. The downstream wind made it essential to avoid a bow in the line so it was hard work. After an hour I changed to my waggler line with 15ft rod, clonking dace seemed to be the dominant species and up to 8oz were very welcome. Bleak were rife as the sun got up so I changed to elderberries and tares but the roach were not feeding, maybe due to the chilly night before.
Back on the maggot and a load more bleak on the drop with the odd dace if the maggot got down through the bleak. With an hour to go I trashed my waggler set up on the wild flora:eek:mg:
Whip for the last hour and a 13oz perch cheered me up among the bleak.
At the scales I had 5lb:12.
Winner had 14+
22 fished....

Harvey

Reaction score
I took my 11-year old daughter fishing for goldfish in a pond about half an hour drive from home. An angler was about to leave when we arrived. He had been there for hours, and caught two fish. His tackle was not well suited for the task. A size 22 hook and an huge bodied waggler. It probably took at least 10 SSG. He told us he was a surfcaster, and just wanted the spieces.

It's quite popular in Norway to collect spieces. The most eager "spieces hunters" have recorded more than 120 different spieces caught using rod and reel, from both salt- and freshwater. Like birdwatchers collecting sightings. They travel the country in search for species they haven't caught yet.

The swim was baited, which we took advantage of. With a mini insert waggler from Drennan and a Kamsan 520 size 14 (using half a sweetcorn), we landed lots of goldfish. We didn't miss a bite. Fishing with one rod, we switched after a fish had been landed. She caught her first goldfish, and I set a new PB with a beauty weighing 500 g.

All the fish were brown, with one exception. I caught a beautiful orange fish with a silver spot on the side, and silver fins. Somwhere between 150 and 200 g. I wish she had got that one.

We had to leave early because she wanted to watch a danceshow on the telly. It was great fun, and we both enjoyed ourselves.

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
Harvey....No pics for the photo album then ??? ( You know what a soft touch the folk of FM are !! )

Sounds a really great day,though !

no-one in particular

Reaction score
22 fished....

My earliest fishing forays were at Staines and my first ever fish, a roach. Dad went for a pee and told me to hold the rod but under no circumstances reel it in. The float started bobbing and the bloke next to me told me to reel it in. I said I couldn't and he reeled it in for me. I was hooked after that as they say.
Roach and bleak was all we ever caught, a rare roach would be about 5 inches long-but nice memories.

Harvey

Reaction score
Harvey....No pics for the photo album then ??? ( You know what a soft touch the folk of FM are !! )

Sounds a really great day,though !

By popular demand and after countless requests:

P1000534_640x480_.JPG

View image in gallery
I never post photos that can identify my daughter, so only her hands are showing on this photo.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
By popular demand and after countless requests:

Talking of goldfish - I clean a mates filter tanks out every week. 12ft by 8 ft by 6ft pond with about 70 goldfish in it. I had some maggots left over so took them there yesterday to give the gold fish a bit of a treat. They did not want to know, ignored them, a few sucked them in and spat them out, same with the few casters in the mix. never seen them so, didn't like them ! very odd.
Last time my mate said he chucked a apple core in there and they gobbled that up within minutes so I took a couple of apples with me the time before last time I went and had a few bites on little pieces on a 14 hook. Didn't really give it a proper try, got preoccupied with mullet but I reckon apples are worth a try sometime; cheap enough. Maybe a mash in the ground-bait.

Last edited:

arthur2sheds

Reaction score
Antique Antics...
following on from the "Going Retro" thread t'other, day I thought I'd get some of my antique gear out for a play and I drove down to a local Commercial to get the old string tugged for the day...

I tackled up with my Marco Test (a bit of a beast, but the fish run to low doubles at the venue) and a newly acquired Speedia Wide Drum, loaded with 5lb Daiwa Hyper-Sensor, with a Drennan 6 no4 waggler, to a size 14 hook. Corn over micro pellet was the bait of choice
On arrival I was mugged...! yes mugged, for a tenner day ticket.... thieving sod:eek: for a dabble in not much more'n a puddle, I ask you.... but I pressed on and I made the chap wait for his cash as I tackled up:D
Once the chunky chap was out of my hair, I settled down and had an enquiry on the first cast, a firm strike produced a nice tangle which I proceeded to sort out, then I had a Mr "Oooh.. a cane rod... I still have one somewhere" conversation with a passing angler.... As has been said elsewhere, they may be old, but they certainly get folks talking.

Second cast resulted in a lively little common putting a healthy bend in the Test and soon enough rolled into my waiting net with a waved pectoral of surrender
20150908_085955_zpsvgychqar.jpg

20150908_090159_zpsbphgq6qq.jpg

Once returned I settled back and cast out again and started to get odd little knocks on the float, I suspected Roach or Rudd intercepting the bait as it settled, but nothing came of it for a while. A couple more little commons graced my landing net and then I had a spirited scrap with a little Mirror which probably went a couple of pounds but gave a satisfying fight on the old gear, and I relished playing them on the new Speedia which performed superbly....
20150908_095644_zps14nikvrk.jpg

Then I got another odd bite, and striking gently I found the culprits....
20150908_094220_zpsqpb9eorf.jpg

I hate these things, and it was quickly despatched, I managed another four on the bounce and I left their remains for the bailiff.
I then put the micro pellets away, as that was what was drawing the things into my swim, and I concentrated on the corn baits for the duration of the day.
I had another conversation with a different Mr "Oooh.. a cane rod... I still have one somewhere" and he commented that the Speedia and the Test were made for each other.... and y'know, I agree, they do look good.... bloody heavy....! (as my right arm will readily testify) but they do look good
20150908_091717_zps5q8jih4p.jpg

After a few hours I noticed that there were a few more smaller fish snaffling the bait... tiny little carp with a yard of attitude and an appetite to match
20150908_094031_zpsto1ywuir.jpg

with the fish getting smaller and smaller I decided to take my leave of the little pool and wend my way homewards... Next time I may take an old glass rod to make things a tad easier on the arm... I'll still be using the Speedia though... it's a little belter of a reel.....

Tight Lines

thecrow

Reaction score
Nice report Arthur, i'm intrigued as to how you took the top photograph of your rod under pressure from a fish, what exactly were you holding the camera with :eek:

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I had the latter part of the afternoon on the river today. There was a trotters nightmare when I arrived at the swim..."a strong down stream wind". Since I was casting across the river and trotting tight to the far bank the wind was a serious nuisance that meant I had to mend the line constantly to keep the float trotting down the right line. At the end of the session i'd had a few chunky dace, a few micro chub, some monster minnows and four barbel. I lost another three barbel, one to a hook pull and the line parted at the hook with the other two. I think they'd scraped the line on a rock (maybe in a similar way to a chub, who knows). I hate leaving hooks in fish! Only plus side is they won't be carying line and the hooks are only 14's, but still not good.

Last edited: