Spools

cal_sutt

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I got spare graphite spools with my set of baitrunners as well as the standard aluminium spools. What's the difference as I was hoping to fill the graphite ones with braid and the aluminium ones with mono... Or would it be better to do it the other way?

Help would be appreciated, thanks, Cal.

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
Graphite spools are cheaper to produce so it keeps the cost down and they dont distort/dent when dropped like ali spools can....they might shatter into a million pieces but they wont dent. Ali spools look nicer too.

Personally I'd do it t'other way round....braid on the ali spools. With no give in braid if you were to snag up the pressure exerted could burst a graphite spool. Not likely...but it can happen cos I've done it.

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
Graphite spools are cheaper to produce so it keeps the cost down and they dont distort/dent when dropped like ali spools can....they might shatter into a million pieces but they wont dent. Ali spools look nicer too.

Personally I'd do it t'other way round....braid on the ali spools. With no give in braid if you were to snag up the pressure exerted could burst a graphite spool. Not likely...but it can happen cos I've done it.

Spot on Skip,

I have had Graphite spools shatter on me. Mono seemed to be on just fine, then out off the blue, i hooked into a half decent fish, and that was that.

Lost fish, Birds nest, and No Spool, stick to Ali spools for the braid, and buy some more for the mono. My spools were shimano's, and i haven't had a shimano since, and never will again, **** service when my reel gears went.

barbelboi

Reaction score
Shame on you Ray;), then again the Shimanos I use most of the time are old, pukka Japenese, 5000Aero Gte's for barbel/chub fishing (unless trotting then the pins see the light) and, again Jananese Stradics for 'other' work. All with Ali spare spools and all work delightfully............

PS The 'ancient' Triton Seaspin also still works smoothly...........:D