Korum after sales

jasonbean1

Reaction score
Have any of you guys had dealings with them? I bought a couple of there 2.2lb experts earlier in the year. Thought they were doing what I wanted with short range barbel till I pushed them to the extreme with long distance casting, both rod tips broke within an hour from casting and when trying to land a big carp covered in weed under the tip the first one went, second when casting.......I can't think what I done wrong with the angling just seems after looking at the broken tip joints they are no stronger than pole type sections I would break and readily replace as that's the norm on a pole when being brutish.... Surely not a rod though?

Hinders are going to give me proof of purchase as I bought them over the phone and I've sent an email to korum customer services so I'll see how it goes.

Let's see how this plays out, if not in my favour it will be the the last tackle I'll buy from them

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
My only experiences with Korum/Preston have been for really small bits and pieces, like the end caps getting lost from my chair legs, and a few brackets breaking.

They have always sent me replacements, and usually a nice little note to say that there is no charge, even tough I always offer to pay for replacements.

So, good luck Jason, I think they are very good with after sales service . . . . .

cg74

Reaction score
Have any of you guys had dealings with them? I bought a couple of there 2.2lb experts earlier in the year. Thought they were doing what I wanted with short range barbel till I pushed them to the extreme with long distance casting, both rod tips broke within an hour from casting and when trying to land a big carp covered in weed under the tip the first one went, second when casting.......I can't think what I done wrong with the angling just seems after looking at the broken tip joints they are no stronger than pole type sections I would break and readily replace as that's the norm on a pole when being brutish.... Surely not a rod though?

Hinders are going to give me proof of purchase as I bought them over the phone and I've sent an email to korum customer services so I'll see how it goes.

Let's see how this plays out, if not in my favour it will be the the last tackle I'll buy from them

I'll start with a guess at where they broke - About 2-2.5ft from the tip, where the blank starts to tighten up?

As for you dealing with Korum, really you shouldn't have to, it's Hinders responsibility. If you bought a dodgy computer from Curry's, are you expected to chase the manufacturer..... Errrr no!
So don't be doing Hinders work for them.

If you want, you can borrow my carp rods.;)

terry m

Reaction score
I have had not experience with Korum, but as a reputable manufacturer I am pretty sure they will be sympathetic.

Completely agree with CG74, I would be dealing with the shop in the first instance. It sounds as though they have directed you to Korum directly, saving them the effort. Not good form.

I use Hinders occasionally, that does not impress me.

Phil Hatton 2

Reaction score
I have one of the 1.1 Experts which in the short time I've had it has cast numerous 2oz in-line maggot feeders 50 yds + and played a 7.13 Barbel to a dead stop at short range on the Dane.
Is it possible you were the victim of a bad batch?

jasonbean1

Reaction score
To be honest it was me that said I would deal directly with korum, if I went through hinders I would have to get the rods back to them then they would wait for the rep to come in and so on......then I'd be chasing hinders for answers who then would be chasing korum, just trying to cut the middle man out.

What's interesting though now I'm using 2lb greys rods with small eyes and a shorter handle is how much more distance I can get with the korum rods, I reckon there's an extra 20yds in them with little line rattle as it goes though the bigger eyes.

Just hope I can get them sorted without having to buy 2 new sections:eek:mg:

markhib

Reaction score
As Peter, I have only good things to say about Korum. Lost a thumb wheel off an umbrella holder, offered to buy a new one but was sent a replacement free of charge.
Even had a couple of emails checking it had arrived (it hadn't after the first one).
Mark.

jasonbean1

Reaction score
Well, korum contacted me at 7.30 this morning and asked me to send them to the shop I bought them from and they'll get them picked up for inspection.....good start

Hinders confirmed I bought them from them so I'll send over next Monday to them. Terrible you spend that sort of money and you can't remember where you spent it, bit of a wake up call with delivery notes/receipts

Let's see how it goes,

paulvjwhite

Reaction score
wish you luck with your claim,but several years ago i bought a daiwa barbel rod from daiwa.it broke the first time i used it when some weed dragged the rod around and it snapped.i sent it back they said i must have dropped something on the rod.if ihad i would not have complained.they never offered or gave a refund,that was12-15 years ago,to this day never have i bought as much as a hook from those charlatans.hope korum are more honest.

Richox12

Reaction score

Isn't it just possible, judging by what you have written here, that you have expected too much of them, pushed them too far and they simply weren't man enough for the job you tried to get them to do. And that they aren't faulty at all.

cg74

Reaction score
Isn't it just possible, judging by what you have written here, that you have expected too much of them, pushed them too far and they simply weren't man enough for the job you tried to get them to do. And that they aren't faulty at all.

It's nigh on impossible to expect too much out of a rod that is described by the manufacturer as:

"Xpert 12ft 2.2lb
The 2.2lb Xpert rod will cope with even the largest feeder. Our consultancy team have used them on tidal rivers all over the world and in even the most demanding floodwater conditions. Doubles as a superb carp and pike rod.
Line rating: 8lb-15lb
• Two piece construction
• Double leg guides to withstand the rigours of river fishing
• Fast Action carbon for better fish playing performance"

Andy M

Reaction score
Cg74. When you say the largest feeders what sort of weights are you talking about? And talking of Korum I have one of their inexpensive "Barbel rods" 2lb version and it can cast 6 and 7 oz feeders with no no problem.

A

alan whittington

I must say its quite laughable....the rods are 2.2lb t.c. and should withstand most fishing tasks(especially with the spec Colin quoted),the biggest risk of breakage with such a rod imo is having too short a drop from rod tip to weight/feeder,this creates poor compression of the rod and stresses the blank,if possible for distance casting this drop should be at least 3ft and often just above the mid-point of the blank,watch a beachcasting clip on google if you can find one,i know its not always possible to implement this in coarse fishing,but...it eases the chance of
breakage.

As a sidenote,i bought a telescopic float rod from shimano several years ago,around £60 if I remember correctly,for holiday use,anyway the first time I used it I was about to cast a stick float and gently pulled the hooklink to check everything wasn't tangled(hardly any pressure,to see if the line passed through the rings ok as I have always done,with no ill effect)and the tip snapped about 3" down,i sent the rod back to shimano(Felindre,Wales,i believe),to be told that they wouldn't be changing the tip/rod as it was broken through misuse,having fished since I was 16 and never broke a float rod in such a manner I was more than miffed,especially when I have had a lot of float/match rods,i would never advise any angler to buy a shimano rod and I get asked regularly.

Last edited:

jasonbean1

Reaction score
Just got back from linear, must be mad......7 nights! And I managed to finish the week without breaking the greys x flites,

I must admit the korum rods do feel too light in weight and perhaps fragile because of it......it's a bald description of the rod korum have put on It...... i thought I may be over gunning on 12lb main line and that may be a get out clause for them

I'll let you know how it goes

A

alan whittington

Just got back from linear, must be mad......7 nights! And I managed to finish the week without breaking the greys x flites,

I must admit the korum rods do feel too light in weight and perhaps fragile because of it......it's a bald description of the rod korum have put on It...... i thought I may be over gunning on 12lb main line and that may be a get out clause for them

I'll let you know how it goes

Christ mate,if a 2.2lb t.c. rod cant handle 12lb line i'd better pack up fishing,i use 12lb line on my 1.6lb t.c. Harrison occasionally and I hav'nt broke it yet and ive cast 3ozs on it,plus a pva bag,which is overdoing it...but its still going strong.

sam vimes

Reaction score
A 2.2lb rod should have no problem with 12lb line. However, despite the spiel, I'd be wary of the weight being cast and the distance being attempted. Most carpers work on casting ratings being approximately 1oz per test curve lb. For some reason, that rule of thumb seems to go out of the window when it comes to barbel rods. I can only suspect that comes down to what constitutes "casting". When most barbel anglers say they have cast 5oz plus feeders, they really mean that they've gently lobbed a 5oz plus feeder a relatively short distance. Many barbel rods would be destroyed in short order if people repeatedly tried to cast a 2.5oz plus lead the way a carper might.

Richox12

Reaction score
A 2.2lb rod should have no problem with 12lb line. However, despite the spiel, I'd be wary of the weight being cast and the distance being attempted. Most carpers work on casting ratings being approximately 1oz per test curve lb. For some reason, that rule of thumb seems to go out of the window when it comes to barbel rods. I can only suspect that comes down to what constitutes "casting". When most barbel anglers say they have cast 5oz plus feeders, they really mean that they've gently lobbed a 5oz plus feeder a relatively short distance. Many barbel rods would be destroyed in short order if people repeatedly tried to cast a 2.5oz plus lead the way a carper might.

Exactly. There's casting and there's casting. I can chuck 3oz+ with one of my short, light feeder rods if I want to..............so long as i'm fishing the margins. If I tried to punch the same feeder to the horizon I would expect the rod to explode.

A

alan whittington

Exactly. There's casting and there's casting. I can chuck 3oz+ with one of my short, light feeder rods if I want to..............so long as i'm fishing the margins. If I tried to punch the same feeder to the horizon I would expect the rod to explode.

I understand where your coming from Rich,but when a groundbait feeder is loaded it must weigh around 3ozs,when you cast this full bore on a medium feeder rod it doesn't break,well mine never have and ive had 4 over time,ive cast medium blockends on the lower Thames with 2ozs strapped on them to the far bank on the same rods,thats not as nearly as capable(or shouldn't be)as a 2.2lb t.c. barbel rod,i would be very upset if a rod like that broke on casting,whatever the price,because you cant just lob 5oz plus loaded feeder across the Trent,lets be fair a carp rod isn't designed to cast such a weight,if this korum rod cant manage it,it shouldn't be advertised to be able to.

Last edited:

cg74

Reaction score
Cg74. When you say the largest feeders what sort of weights are you talking about? And talking of Korum I have one of their inexpensive "Barbel rods" 2lb version and it can cast 6 and 7 oz feeders with no no problem.

Andy, I didn't say "the largest feeders" it was Korum's description of the rod, quoted from their website.

I've cast similar weights (6oz+) with a 2lb test barbel rod when flood fishing on the Wye, Severn etc but it's not a forceful cast, more an overhead lob.

Would you say casting a 45g (1.5oz) feeder about 70 yards (64 metres) (Jason's definition of extreme range is fairly modest), is too much to expect from this rod?

---------- Post added at 20:31 ---------- Previous post was at 20:20 ----------

Many barbel rods would be destroyed in short order if people repeatedly tried to cast a 2.5oz plus lead the way a carper might.

Lets not forget the rod in question isn't labelled as a "barbel rod"
Xpert Rods - Korum, Fishing Made Easy
And if the target species is relevant to how you use a rod, this rod's description clearly states; "doubles as a superb carp and pike rod"