FishingMagic Forums

Go Back   FishingMagic Forums > FRESHWATER FISHING FORUMS > General Fishing
Register Forums Blogs Classifieds FAQ Calendar Arcade Search Mark Forums Read

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 30-08-2014, 19:44

magicone is on a distinguished road
Default Which is best from a Tin

I know this has been around a lap or two, but.

We've all been using Sweetcorn for years and I've had some good success with it too.

I use the Tin variety from Supermarkets whoever has a special offer for JGG or whichever brand and to be honest not taken notice what they have in the tins or not.

Today, the tins come with Sweetcorn in a choice of liquids. Non of this is added or this is added, or in this and that, and so on.

So which is best to look for from the shelves. In brine, in salt water, no added salt, no added sugar, added salt or added sugar etc etc.

Or should the fluid be drained and add salt or sugar etc. for good results.

Any clues/tips

Thanks
Old 30-08-2014, 20:08

sam vimes is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Which is best from a Tin

I really couldn't care what the corn is in when fishing. I tend to decant into a bait box before stepping out of my front door. I tip a tin into a sieve and run the cold water tap over it before draining the excess water off. That way it leaves your hands a little less sticky when you use it.

Once upon a long ago, I'd buy Green Giant for fishing. Since Lidl arrived, I've never used anything more expensive than their 35p Freshona sweetcorn. I understand that frozen sweetcorn is even better economy. However, I've yet to try any frozen corn that I was entirely happy with.
nicepix and slaphead like this.
Old 30-08-2014, 20:16

daji is on a distinguished road

I use any old tinned sweetcorn and haven't taken much notice of the 'added' or 'not added' contents. when i open the tin i expect to smell sweetcorn and favour tinned over frozen due to the juice which i add to the groundbait mix as an additional attractant.
Old 30-08-2014, 20:29

Titus is an unknown quantity at this point

I use whatever is cheapest, Pick out the best grains for hook baits then liquidise the lot along with some frozen corn and a little bottled water (try to avoid the stuff from the tap as it smells like a swimming pool) to loosen it and make the quantity I think I will need. I use this slop on it's own as a cloudy feed or I use it to mix my groundbait, due to the starch it also makes a great binder for your method mix or to soak a few pellets to mould round a feeder.

Any slop which is left over goes in the freezer for next time.

It really is a versatile bait and very underrated,
Old 30-08-2014, 22:15

symonh2000 is on a distinguished road

I always buy the cheapest. The grains tend to be bigger and a bit tougher, so are better for attracting fish and staying on the hook.

I usually get 3 tins from the 99p shop. I can't say I have noticed much difference between Brine, sugar water or salted water etc in terms of how well it works.
Old 31-08-2014, 03:46

sagalout is on a distinguished road

Sainsburys basics, 25p a tin.
Old 31-08-2014, 07:35

nicepix is on a distinguished road

Same as Sam. Freshona from Lidl is cheap and has the right texture to stay on the hook. Anything I don't use goes into the freezer to use as groundbait. Frozen and thawed corn is too soft for the hook.

The only thing I do differently is to use the juice in my groundbait mix and I sprinkle a sachet of vanilla flavouring over the corn and stir it in.
Old 31-08-2014, 15:08

pjcoarsefishing is on a distinguished road

I have never used the Lidl sweetcorn but guess I might now.

I have always use the JGG and stuck with it as some cheaper ones I tried some years back were soft and didn't stop on the hook.

JGG do one called crisp sweet corn, with this I have found some are crisper but some are not so wonder if it was worth paying the pennies more for.

I have found corn good on some fisheries and not so good on others. Possibly the not so good ones are where the fish have got used to it.

I hate to see people throw their bait in the water at the end of a session, my corn goes into my ground bait for next time.

When making my ground bait I usually tip the corn juice in the ground bait as an additive along with the hemp oil etc.
Old 31-08-2014, 20:16

flightliner is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicepix View Post
Same as Sam. Freshona from Lidl is cheap and has the right texture to stay on the hook. Anything I don't use goes into the freezer to use as groundbait. Frozen and thawed corn is too soft for the hook.

The only thing I do differently is to use the juice in my groundbait mix and I sprinkle a sachet of vanilla flavouring over the corn and stir it in.
Lidl for me too, had so many massive catches on it this season, good stuff and cheap too.Am back in harness later this week after a five week enforced layoff.
Truth be known if I dont catch much here on in till the winter I,m more than happy with my sweetcorn results.
i,ve been placing it directly into my groundbait but if I was on a river any juices would be cancelled out before it was very far below the surface so as said why suffer sticky fingers, just rinse it before use.
Old 31-08-2014, 20:25

dead peg is on a distinguished road

Same here .. I usually get Freshona (Lidl) or B&M small black tins .. both have ring pulls and are good for quick sessions
My mate bought a few frozen bags from Iceland on offer .. 800g for 50p but he's got a bait fridge