Folded Reel Handles - WTF?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
So, I was our piking the other day and noticed that a carper had two rods set up on a pod so close together that the reel handles had to be folded up to fit.

WTF is that all about?

Why have a pod with bars so short that two reels won't gif next yo each other?

What problem is this solving?

And then there's the fumbling to fasten the handles back when you hook a fish (unless you have a quick snap handle).

Why do carpers do this?

sam vimes

Reaction score
Why do carpers do this?

Fashion. Unless they're single stick tarts, it's become the in thing to have really tight buzz bars. At the same time, the fashion in reels is getting bigger and bigger. Something has to give somewhere, bloody stupid.

Thankfully, it's not an affliction that's common to all carpers or all manufacturers. It's worth bearing in mind should you ever buy new buzz bars unseen though.

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
I think you will find that the reel handles are those that just fold down from the touch of a button. You only have to lift the handle to lock them back in place.

I know a few lads who do this, they do it just to keep everything tidy.
Still each to their own

I have never had bait runner reels, what is the point, just loosen the clutch, i have done this for more years than i can remember. Now some reels have the baitrunner clutch, and charge you a fortune for it.

Doesn't do the job any better than when you loosen the clutch.

john step

Reaction score
In my naivety I asked a carping club member if he had forgotten to unfold his handles. He replied that they looked neater like that.
If he had looked at my tackle he would have probably thrown up at that rate.

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
Fashion. Unless they're single stick tarts, it's become the in thing to have really tight buzz bars. At the same time, the fashion in reels is getting bigger and bigger. Something has to give somewhere, bloody stupid.

Thankfully, it's not an affliction that's common to all carpers or all manufacturers. It's worth bearing in mind should you ever buy new buzz bars unseen though.

Nothing wrong with single sticks, better than those half ton pods, that look like they were made for a moon landing. Or goals posts, all thats missing is the net to go on the back, so while your waiting for a bite, you can have a kick around.

flightliner

Reaction score
Just an aside-- if you dont need reel handles that flap all over the place when folded down then avoid the Fos Eos, another great example of a product not being field tested properly.
The solution is easy enough but I dont think it will happen.

sam vimes

Reaction score
Nothing wrong with single sticks, better than those half ton pods, that look like they were made for a moon landing.

I wasn't suggesting that there was anything wrong with single sticks, merely that some carping fashionistas go down one road, others go another way. Horses for courses, if all you are using one or the other is because it looks nicer, you need your head examining.

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
I wasn't suggesting that there was anything wrong with single sticks, merely that some carping fashionistas go down one road, others go another way. Horses for courses, if all you are using one or the other is because it looks nicer, you need your head examining.

I think all anglers need our heads examining sometimes :eek:

Alan Tyler

Reaction score
The arcane aesthetics of the incurable wannabee. Somebody found it helpful in a tight swim, caught a large carp, and the rest is green eyes and brains in neutral at worst; hero-worshipful homage at best.
Except in tight swims, or whatever it was that prompted the first guy.

The bad one

Reaction score
Matt it’s an optional Guesting feature for quick get-aways when the Tatton Rangers are chasing you. ;)

Alan Tyler

Reaction score
I shouldn't be too surprised to find out that the originator of the "technique" was poaching, and didn't want to fish through a big gap in the greenery when there was a small one behind which to hide...

---------- Post added at 09:59 ---------- Previous post was at 09:57 ----------

...I should of course, be very, very disappointed.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Hahaha

TIGHT SWIM???? How tight does the swim have to be if a bar a couple of inches wider won't fit? Must be for fishing down 6" wide alleyways.

Not to mention that if the swim was that tight then how the hell was the angler going to land the ruddy fish if he actually caught one?

To my way of thinking this practice is just plain silly, and gives you yet another thing to do when picking up the rod to lean into a biting fish.

Pointless!

cg74

Reaction score
Why do a very small minority of carp anglers do this?

On the basis that no one on this forum will admit to folding their reel handles. You would've been better of asking the angler in question.
You also could've asked why a minority of carp anglers also have their rod tips up high of the (still)water and some have their reels only millimetres from the ground?

john step

Reaction score
Why do a very small minority of carp anglers do this?

On the basis that no one on this forum will admit to folding their reel handles. You would've been better of asking the angler in question.
You also could've asked why a minority of carp anglers also have their rod tips up high of the (still)water and some have their reels only millimetres from the ground?

I have seen this and have reasoned that it is done to clear the weed in shallow margins which would foul the line and inhibit bite registration??

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
Not to mention that if the swim was that tight then how the hell was the angler going to land the ruddy fish if he actually caught one?

To my way of thinking this practice is just plain silly, and gives you yet another thing to do when picking up the rod to lean into a biting fish.

Pointless!

Strange you say that Peter, but it isn't hard to pick up the rod,strike and un fold the handles.

I have fished with folded handles myself. For me, I found it very easy, as I don't use any kind of bait runner reel, I don't have the problem of having to turn the handle to lock the spool.

Also with some very big reels, and small Buzz Bars, the handles can get in the way of each other.

Rods and reels on the ground, Rods high in the air, its not new to fishing at all.

terry m

Reaction score
This is colloquially known as fishing 'Yateley' style after the place it supposedly originated.

I see no advantage in fishing with folded reel handles. I can only imagine that the proponents of this style see it as edgy!

WTF indeed.

Reaction score
That's the point Terry - what is the advantage in fishing with folded handles?

Yes Ray, it may be easy enough to pick up and fold the handle back into place,but why have them folded in the first place? It serves no purpose- unless of course an angler bought a pod to small to house his reels or vice versa.

Status
Not open for further replies.