leadget weights for feeder tips

fishperch

Reaction score
i guys a while back i found a webpage on anglers mail that said what difrent tip strengths r used for diferent weights and species all the way up to 4lb tip strenght. can anyone find the link for me as i cannot find it

sam vimes

Reaction score
The rating of a quiver tip has no bearing on the weight of the leger you can use. It also has no bearing on the size of the fish you can catch using it.

The rod itself determines what kind of weight can be cast. A quivertip for that rod should be chosen based on the method employed, species being targeted and the conditions on the day.

fishperch

Reaction score
The rating of a quiver tip has no bearing on the weight of the leger you can use. It also has no bearing on the size of the fish you can catch using it. The rod itself determines what kind of weight can be cast. A quivertip for that rod should be chosen based on the method employed, species being targeted and the conditions on the day.
this webpage had on it the weight for the tip strengths and i found it useful as a guide as ive done very little quivertip fishing

sam vimes

Reaction score
this webpage had on it the weight for the tip strengths and i found it useful as a guide as ive done very little quivertip fishing

The rod itself dictates the weight of leger/feeder that can be sensibly used. The tip rating is just a guide as to how stiff that tip is. If a medium feeder rod is supplied with 1, 2 and 3oz tips, it does not mean that the rod they fit into can miraculously cast a greater weight because it has a higher rated tip fitted.

A quiver tip should be chosen depending on the method being employed, the venue and the type of fish. You could quite easily use that medium feeder rod with the same weight of leger on a river or a stillwater. However, chances are that you'd choose a lighter tip on the stillwater than you would on the river.

Try to get equating tip ratings to leger weights out of your head. It's a red herring.

Titus

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
It's fairly simple, tips are rated in ounces and it relates to the amount of weight a fish needs to exert to move it. As an angler you want to make it as easy as possible for the fish to move the tip so you use the lightest one you can.
So, if you are fishing a slow flowing river you can probably get away with a 1 Oz tip and if the current is stronger you might need 2 Oz to offset the extra drag from the current on the line.
However. that is assuming a running ledger.
If you are using a fixed or semi fixed ledger it all changes and what you are now trying to do is balance the lead against the tip so the slightest movement of the lead causes a corresponding movement on the tip and that movement needs to be initiated by the slightest movement of the bait.
The permutations are now infinite and the balancing act can be affected by the slightest change in wind or current. However, all is not lost, in order to achieve this balance where you have a slight bend in the tip all you need is an extendable bank stick.
You cast out with your chosen weight, pull a few yards off the spool to put a downstream bow in the line and put the rod in the rest. If the lead takes off downstream your rod rest needs to be higher, if it stays put it needs to be lower. So, assuming it stays put you slowly lower the front rest until the lead moves and then raise it a couple of inches. The next cast should see the lead come to rest where it lands, if it rolls raise the tip or let more line out until it holds. This is the balanced ledger which people talk about.
Now look at the tip; It should have a slight bend in it, if it is more than 45% change it for a stronger one or point the rod further downstream and then repeat the balancing act.
For something which I said was fairly simple it all seems very complicated but believe me, after 40 years it will be second nature.

Did I mention the difference between carbon and glass tips? Perhaps best to leave that one for another day.

I might write a bit of an article on this over Christmas, It's about time I threw myself open for scrutiny.

laguna

Reaction score
It's fairly simple, tips are rated in ounces and it relates to the amount of weight a fish needs to exert to move it. As an angler you want to make it as easy as possible for the fish to move the tip so you use the lightest one you can.
So, if you are fishing a slow flowing river you can probably get away with a 1 Oz tip and if the current is stronger you might need 2 Oz to offset the extra drag from the current on the line.
However. that is assuming a running ledger.
If you are using a fixed or semi fixed ledger it all changes and what you are now trying to do is balance the lead against the tip so the slightest movement of the lead causes a corresponding movement on the tip and that movement needs to be initiated by the slightest movement of the bait.
The permutations are now infinite and the balancing act can be affected by the slightest change in wind or current. However, all is not lost, in order to achieve this balance where you have a slight bend in the tip all you need is an extendable bank stick.
You cast out with your chosen weight, pull a few yards off the spool to put a downstream bow in the line and put the rod in the rest. If the lead takes off downstream your rod rest needs to be higher, if it stays put it needs to be lower. So, assuming it stays put you slowly lower the front rest until the lead moves and then raise it a couple of inches. The next cast should see the lead come to rest where it lands, if it rolls raise the tip or let more line out until it holds. This is the balanced ledger which people talk about.
Now look at the tip; It should have a slight bend in it, if it is more than 45% change it for a stronger one or point the rod further downstream and then repeat the balancing act.
For something which I said was fairly simple it all seems very complicated but believe me, after 40 years it will be second nature.

Did I mention the difference between carbon and glass tips? Perhaps best to leave that one for another day.

I might write a bit of an article on this over Christmas, It's about time I threw myself open for scrutiny.

Thanks Adrian, you should do the article.
I must admit to always fishing upstream with heavy running ledger and stiff tips with the rod held high on our fast paced rivers. Rarely consider going lighter or adjusting the balance particularly this time of year in full flow.

fishperch

Reaction score
oh okkk guys i think i get it now. so basically u want the lightest tip you can get away with so my rod has quiver sections of 2,3 and 4. how do u kno wen a tip is too soft to cast that weight lead will it literally just fall short