Modern tackle (WOW)

addo

Reaction score
Returning to coarse fishing after 15 or so years and amazed at how strong tackle claims to be,how cheap stuff is and how much choice there is.

After a bit of investigation I brought a baitrunner ST4000FB and a new model 11ft powermesh feeder rod (3 piece with 2 x tips) all carbon to do some light leger work. Although cheap at £85 the combo feels nicely balanced and is made by 2 very good companies.The rod only weighs 205grams and is only 18mm in diameter in front of the reel seat,yet will chuck a 100gram weight.Thought rod would be a bit "tippy" but has a nice through action which I really didn't expect at the price.Have no idea what t/c is as not stated

Not sure what sort of weight of fish can be caught on stillwater with this combo but it has been suggested that i'll be able to cast 50m plus if required and take double figure fish.Can a combo this small and light REALLY take double figure fish? Have things moved on that much?

Am thinking of getting JW's beefed up avon rod as a 2nd heavier leger rod next.It has so many options,its rated at 1.75lb t/c and its only £50.That seems too cheap and suggests rod would be a real mutt.....but apparently not

Last edited:

daji

Reaction score
Thats progression for you :D I experienced a similar thing after returning after a 20 year break. My 1st returning visit to a tackle shop felt very alien but i bought myself a few lower end bits and bobs and even that stuff performs and feels so much better than my original gear 20 years back. Happy days :)

john step

Reaction score
Yup..Its so much better and also cheaper nowadays. Last summer for nostalgia sake I caught a couple of carp on my circa 1960's split cane rod. Nearly ended up with a sprained wrist:eek: