Scales, analog or digital?

Andy M

Reaction score
Having had about 90% of my tackle stolen from the garage the day after my 65th b'day, I am in the market for a new set of scales (among other things) I had a set of Reuben Heaton Flyweight Scales Mk2 and was thinking of simply replacing them but would like members views on other options esp possibility of going digital (shock horror!).

Keith M

Reaction score
Ive had two sets of Avon Dial scales since the mid 70s and the only reason I had to Replace my last set (which I had for around 30 years) was because the Dial window had become very scratched and they were looking decidedly old. They were still very accurate though.

I replaced them with a pair of Fox Digitals which were also accurate, but after reading reports of digital scales (of various makes) being unreliable once the batteries start going low I decided to go back to Dial Scales because I didn't trust Digitals and there's something very reassuring about watching that needle climb when you are weighing a good fish.
NB. How do you know when the batterries are starting to go low unless you check them using battery checkers? You may be weighing low without even noticing.

I bought myself a Pair of Reuben Flyweights but they suffered from their common zeroing problems and they felt very cheap and nasty compared to my Avons, so I bought myself some good second hand Avon Scales off EBay for £20 (Avon had stopped making them) and I am now back to having a quality set of very reliable dial scales which will probably last me another 30 years if I'm lucky enough to live that long. LOL...

Keith

Last edited:

Andy M

Reaction score
Thanks all - will go for the flyweights I think as I don't weigh too often and a bit of bother with the zeroing is not too big a price to pay for the convenience of size and weight.

john step

Reaction score
Having had about 90% of my tackle stolen from the garage the day after my 65th b'day, I am in the market for a new set of scales (among other things) I had a set of Reuben Heaton Flyweight Scales Mk2 and was thinking of simply replacing them but would like members views on other options esp possibility of going digital (shock horror!).

Sorry to hear of your tackle theft. I know its rotten. I had my car broken into in France a few years ago and my tackle nicked. Spoilt the holiday.
Still on the bright side, if what I wished on the perpetrators has come true they won't be alive now:wh

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
Ive had two sets of Avon Dial scales since the mid 70s and the only reason I had to Replace my last set (which I had for around 30 years) was because the Dial window had become very scratched and they were looking decidedly old. They were still very accurate though.

I replaced them with a pair of Fox Digitals which were also accurate, but after reading reports of digital scales (of various makes) being unreliable once the batteries start going low I decided to go back to Dial Scales because I didn't trust Digitals and there's something very reassuring about watching that needle climb when you are weighing a good fish.
NB. How do you know when the batterries are starting to go low unless you check them using battery checkers? You may be weighing low without even noticing.

I bought myself a Pair of Reuben Flyweights but they suffered from their common zeroing problems and they felt very cheap and nasty; so I bought myself some good second hand Avon Scales off EBay for £20 (Avon had stopped making them) and I am now back to having a quality set of very reliable dial scales which will probably last me another 30 years if I'm lucky enough to live that long. LOL...

Keith

T-Cut will polish out scratches on the dials of Avon Scales.

Jim Crosskey 2

Reaction score
I use the flyweights and I'm happy with them. Never had much of a problem zeroing them and ultimately I'm not going to lose sleep over a few ounces or drams here or there. As long as ALL the fish i catch get measured on the same set of scales then I think i'm ok.... Occasionally i'll weigh a bag of sugar or some other household item with a given weight... and they've always been bang on. So until that changes - i'll stick with them.

(Incidentally, a mate has had to send back a set of fox scales for just packing up, potentially caused by damp. Not sure that's ever affected my flyweights!)

Andy M

Reaction score
Thanks for the kind thoughts John, I actually saw the ****** going off down the street looking like a christmas tree festooned with rod bags and rucksacks, but by the time I had got some clothes on he was long gone. Fortunately nothing of great sentimental value or indeed of great monetary value in individual items, but boy when you start to add it all up... And then there is the annoyance of not having just the link, swivel or whatever that you need when on the bank and fixing up a new rig. On the bright side the first gear I replaced was a lure fishing set up and I bagged a PB pike on second outing!

pf0x

Reaction score
I use the flyweights and I'm happy with them. Never had much of a problem zeroing them and ultimately I'm not going to lose sleep over a few ounces or drams here or there. As long as ALL the fish i catch get measured on the same set of scales then I think i'm ok.... Occasionally i'll weigh a bag of sugar or some other household item with a given weight... and they've always been bang on. So until that changes - i'll stick with them.

I do that too (go around the kitchen checking various things to weigh) :D

I'm on the lookout for some new scales. Always liked the look and size of the Flyweights but slightly put off by the odd negative post.

Interesting blog here re: weighing fish.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I have flyweights and avons and I like both. The flyweights are a little smaller and lighter which goes in their favour.
A friend of mine has a set of digi's and if i'm being honest I prefer them to my dial scales. They're more accurate and easy to use and he hasn't had a problem with the batteries going on them. They switch off automatically if left on by accident also.
I reckon if I get a few quid spare in future i'll try a set of digi's myself.