Hitting the Eastern European problem head on, morality v’s self interest?

trotter2

Reaction score
Strange, after the election this thread does not seem as important anymore .
Perhaps I am just as guilty as the rest :rolleyes:

nicepix

Reaction score
Meanwhile.... another 5 years of the same old, nothing changes.... same problems, same solutions from the same dont-give-a-hoot, cant do a thing about it crowd.

Pessimism or reality Chris? The answer in theory is simple. Practically though it is a different story.

No point dwelling on a situation you cannot really do anything about.

laguna

Reaction score
Stark reality Clive.
Only a fool would expect a different outcome from the same elected, largely cash strapped (laugh), hands tied, none angling fraternity.... Also much to the PC brigades delight; I wouldn't be surprise in the slightest if the EE claimed discrimination for being 'unfairly forced' to put back food for the table.

nicepix

Reaction score
Stark reality Clive.
Only a fool would expect a different outcome from the same elected, largely cash strapped (laugh), hands tied, none angling fraternity.... Also much to the PC brigades delight; I wouldn't be surprise in the slightest if the EE claimed discrimination for being 'unfairly forced' to put back food for the table.

I honestly believe that there is no racial element to the lack of prosecutions. In my view it is down to the other issues that I highlighted.

bennygesserit

Reaction score
Where is the PC brigade ? Let me know where I can sign up I'd be head honcho by now ( sorry I mean honcho / honchoess ).

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
To be honest, I've not read every post on this Thread, but some of them seem to have some very strange ideas around the state of this country, the folk who live within it, and how they live, or how other think they should live....
I'm old enough to remember the 50's when many folk in the West Indies decided to come to the UK to live, waving British Passports and more than entitled to live in this country if they so chose. Many in this country found this totally unacceptable including my own father ( an out and out racist if ever one existed ). I can remember him crossing the road to avoid any form of contact with these ' blacks ' who had come to pinch white folks jobs.
However they didn't seem to mind them doing menial jobs such as refuse collecting or sweeping the streets etc etc !!
Similarly, I can well remember when Idi Amin kicked out all the ' shop keepers ' from Uganda and they, also waving nice new British Passports, also made the UK the place to head for. We occupied and ran much of the world at one time, handing out passports to all those we ' ruled ' with nobody realising many of those sam folk would end up living in the UK, or at least the children would....
Lots of other examples where the good old British Passport has been a way to forge a new life. when that in the place of birth went belly up, but it's why we are the multi national society we are today. Some will never get used to the idea and to this day I still hear well dodgy racist words mumbled behind hand or in private.

This country is what it is and whilst it may suit everyone, I suggest those that find it so bad and unacceptable get on a airplane, travel the globe to see how others survive on not too much, and then ask themselves what they would do if they had a chance to make a better life for the future.

I've also read some comments around the new government, what they hope to achieve in the next five years and many extolling what a total waste of time they all are - basically a bunch of w**kers who have no idea of how to run a country etc etc. It crosses my mind how many of these same 'experts ' on FM who give out on the shortcomings of others have every made any attempt to help run this country in some small way.HAVE YOU EVER SAT DOWN AND TRIED TO WORK OUT WHAT YOU WOULD DO IF YOU RAN THE COUNTRY ? Yes, it may sound silly, but 'doing the right thing for all is not as easy as it sounds !!¬
Without exception we all have the opportunity to ' make a difference ' by becoming involved in local politics or even more than that, but how many make the effort to do so - very few I would guess...........................Surely, if they are so hissed off with how the country is run, why don't some of these folk, some of whom probably didn't vote this time anyway, try to influence what happens around them ! Regardless of who won the election it will always be someone else's fault !
In my own family I have some who still believe in this day and age, that they, as born and bred ' Engishmen ' were, and still are, ENTITLED to a good life without too much effort, loads of opportunities to moan, but have never lifted a finger to do a damn thing.....and this because they are white ! Based on what I hear from time to time, this attitude is alive and well with many who make sitting on hand a way of life, but vilify others who make the effort !!!

Immigrants, Boat people, war victims, children who have only known war and upheaval since birth, and all those who struggle day in day out, to make end meet, but then see a chink of light offering a ' better ' life, or at least one where thy can work to improve the families lot, risk life and limb to achieve it.
Ask yourself the question : JUST WHAT WOULD YOU DO IN THE SAME SITUATION ??

As far as folk taking fish for the table; Anglers are IMHO, traditionally notorious for doing nothing to protect what they have. Some, BUT NOT ALL will moan ad infinitum about ziltch being done to protect the fisheries and fish. To those who fall into this category I would ask this; What have YOU done to organise peaceful protest ? Have YOU made any effort to contact your local MP ? Have YOU done anything that ' might make a difference ' or are YOU waiting for someone else to do it for YOU ??

We are all fishermen and we ALL have a responsibility to help our sport, but if what many thought about the ATr is anything to go by, I don't hold out hope for a united front to combat fish theft............

Anyway, all the above only my opinion and some points not covered too well. Unfortunately I ran out of time !!

Last edited:

thecrow

Reaction score
To be honest, I've not read every post on this Thread, but some of them seem to have some very strange ideas around the state of this country, the folk who live within it, and how they live, or how other think they should live....
I'm old enough to remember the 50's when many folk in the West Indies decided to come to the UK to live, waving British Passports and more than entitled to live in this country if they so chose. Many in this country found this totally unacceptable including my own father ( an out and out racist if ever one existed ). I can remember him crossing the road to avoid any form of contact with these ' blacks ' who had come to pinch white folks jobs.
However they didn't seem to mind them doing menial jobs such as refuse collecting or sweeping the streets etc etc !!
Similarly, I can well remember when Idi Amin kicked out all the ' shop keepers ' from Uganda and they, also waving nice new British Passports, also made the UK the place to head for. We occupied and ran much of the world at one time, handing out passports to all those we ' ruled ' with nobody realising many of those sam folk would end up living in the UK, or at least the children would....
Lots of other examples where the good old British Passport has been a way to forge a new life. when that in the place of birth went belly up, but it's why we are the multi national society we are today. Some will never get used to the idea and to this day I still hear well dodgy racist words mumbled behind hand or in private.

This country is what it is and whilst it may suit everyone, I suggest those that find it so bad and unacceptable get on a airplane, travel the globe to see how others survive on not too much, and then ask themselves what they would do if they had a chance to make a better life for the future.

I've also read some comments around the new government, what they hope to achieve in the next five years and many extolling what a total waste of time they all are - basically a bunch of w**kers who have no idea of how to run a country etc etc. It crosses my mind how many of these same 'experts ' on FM who give out on the shortcomings of others have every made any attempt to help run this country in some small way.HAVE YOU EVER SAT DOWN AND TRIED TO WORK OUT WHAT YOU WOULD DO IF YOU RAN THE COUNTRY ? Yes, it may sound silly, but 'doing the right thing for all is not as easy as it sounds !!¬
Without exception we all have the opportunity to ' make a difference ' by becoming involved in local politics or even more than that, but how many make the effort to do so - very few I would guess...........................Surely, if they are so hissed off with how the country is run, why don't some of these folk, some of whom probably didn't vote this time anyway, try to influence what happens around them ! Regardless of who won the election it will always be someone else's fault !
In my own family I have some who still believe in this day and age, that they, as born and bred ' Engishmen ' were, and still are, ENTITLED to a good life without too much effort, loads of opportunities to moan, but have never lifted a finger to do a damn thing.....and this because they are white ! Based on what I hear from time to time, this attitude is alive and well with many who make sitting on hand a way of life, but vilify others who make the effort !!!

Immigrants, Boat people, war victims, children who have only known war and upheaval since birth, and all those who struggle day in day out, to make end meet, but then see a chink of light offering a ' better ' life, or at least one where thy can work to improve the families lot, risk life and limb to achieve it.
Ask yourself the question : JUST WHAT WOULD YOU DO IN THE SAME SITUATION ??

As far as folk taking fish for the table; Anglers are IMHO, traditionally notorious for doing nothing to protect what they have. Some, BUT NOT ALL will moan ad infinitum about ziltch being done to protect the fisheries and fish. To those who fall into this category I would ask this; What have YOU done to organise peaceful protest ? Have YOU made any effort to contact your local MP ? Have YOU done anything that ' might make a difference ' or are YOU waiting for someone else to do it for YOU ??

We are all fishermen and we ALL have a responsibility to help our sport, but if what many thought about the ATr is anything to go by, I don't hold out hope for a united front to combat fish theft............

Anyway, all the above only my opinion and some points not covered too well. Unfortunately I ran out of time !!

Why has this post been allowed when a large chunk of it is political and nothing to do with angling?

nicepix

Reaction score
Why has this post been allowed when a large chunk of it is political and nothing to do with angling?

Maybe because it is a relevant, accurate summary of the content of this thread without being anything like overtly political?

Nobby C (ACA)

Reaction score
Well Tee-Cee, I know what efforts I have made and I have heard the excuses the hand wringers have made and I'm under no illusions who is in the wrong here. And it aint just the poachers, politics be damned, the nimbies and apologists are just as bad.
As for the third world etc, frankly, they deserve better, but how about allowing their own nations to improve, it's not my responsibility to cure the world of all evils, that's where your politicians come in with their wars,banks and meddling.
And I'm involved with organisations that oppose that sort of **** as well. Call me what you will but I am not sitting on my arse pontificating about the situation, I'm here and pro-active.
Let's solve the domestic issues first before sobbing about the poor,downtrodden Poles etc.

nicepix

Reaction score
Well Tee-Cee, I know what efforts I have made and I have heard the excuses the hand wringers have made and I'm under no illusions who is in the wrong here. And it aint just the poachers, politics be damned, the nimbies and apologists are just as bad.
As for the third world etc, frankly, they deserve better, but how about allowing their own nations to improve, it's not my responsibility to cure the world of all evils, that's where your politicians come in with their wars,banks and meddling.
And I'm involved with organisations that oppose that sort of **** as well. Call me what you will but I am not sitting on my arse pontificating about the situation, I'm here and pro-active.
Let's solve the domestic issues first before sobbing about the poor,downtrodden Poles etc.

If you say that it is
" it's not my responsibility to cure the world of all evils, that's where your politicians come in"

Then why is it our responsibility to deal with this problem? And just what do you mean by you being 'proactive' I wonder?

thecrow

Reaction score

This is not political none angling comment then?

Neil Maidment

Reaction score
This is not political none angling comment then?

I gave several posts a lot of thought and came to the conclusion they were not overtly or party political. I actually thought they were very relevant to the thread and well thought out comments on what is potentially a very contentious subject. So I, and I'm certain PJ, have not moderated them.

Maybe I'm wrong, maybe not. If you feel that strongly then please contact the Editorial Team.

cg74

Reaction score

I'd say Tee Cee's post was totally relevant to this thread and was anything but politically motivated in the common usage of the term.

When you whinge about the EA, surely that is a direct criticism of the government that is controlling the agency....
If you want to be especially pernickety, pretty much everything in life can be taken as being politically motivated.

thecrow

Reaction score
I gave several posts a lot of thought and came to the conclusion they were not overtly or party political. I actually thought they were very relevant to the thread and well thought out comments on what is potentially a very contentious subject. So I, and I'm certain PJ, have not moderated them.

Maybe I'm wrong, maybe not. If you feel that strongly then please contact the Editorial Team.

I am not against political comment but also like to see fair play for all that post anything that may be viewed as political by others, some see just what they want in a post, contact the editorial team mmm I don't think I will bother.

wes79

Reaction score
Give us a shout when our representatives tell us what they think we should be doing about it and how much they want us to pay for the idea/theory/scheme (scheming)/quango.
We obviously cannot be trusted to think for ourselves anymore so dig deep into your pockets lads......... mine's an Aspalls please...
Done me homework, can I go out to play daddy?

Last edited:

Nobby C (ACA)

Reaction score
If you say that it is

Then why is it our responsibility to deal with this problem? And just what do you mean by you being 'proactive' I wonder?

Read my previous posts where I stated my actions as opposed to shrugging my shoulders and naffing orf to the country. You snooping or summat? Let me simplify things for you...when a nation stamps all over a weaker nation with economic or military force you create instability, economic upheaval and death. Hence the migration. That's called politics.
As for stopping EE's thieving, plod does nothing, the EA has its hands tied,the AT attempts to address the issues and retired emigres waffler on forums.I've addressed the poachers face to face. That's called proactive.
I really can't be bothered answering you anymore on this topic. Those who do nothing are part of the problem, not the solution.

Last edited:

wes79

Reaction score
How about we simply give the EE's what they want so we are not forcing them to steal fish or making them break the laws of the land against their own free will?

Its our fault for not voting for it to not happen like that , its simply a case of explainable democracy via majority error, 51% were pro "Poach" no? or am I missing the point?

Who in their right mind doesn't want the celebration of kept promises, of strong angling political delivery from leadership, or worse actually betray your own full potential by not voting for the best representative (who strangely have an uncanny instinctual skill of knowing exactly what we want them to do for us, when we want it, as loyal paid servants it's almost as if we have our own butler....well sort of) ?

Chin Chin.

Also, just to prove to nicepix I'm not a racist, I've decided I'm going to send my youngest and only daughter to go out to help these most vulnerable of people (physically fit men of fighting age) who need a wife figure to help them cook their catches for them, at night, on her own.
Off you go, there's a good girl.
Beat that for pride in high standards of pro-active altruism.

What do you say David?
http://rinf.com/alt-news/latest-news/new-uk-law-could-criminalize-politically-incorrect-opinions/

tally ho

Last edited: