Tide times question

wa1115

Reaction score
Here goes, I may win an award for stupid question of the year but I'm going to ask anyway.

Can anyone help with tide times on the River Hull. I look on interweb at tidetimes.org (Albert Dock) and it gives times but I'm fishing Beverley end of the river (approx 7 miles up from Alber Dock) and can't for the life of me work out High/Low tide. A couple of times I have turned up and it's been impossible to fish (I prefer to start fishing just as it turns to go out) Might be a long shot but any help would be great.
Thanks.

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
If you know the high tide time for Albert Dock, say midday, then you turn up at the Beverly end at midday and wait til the tide is right for fishing, say 1pm, then you'll know it's 1hour later than Albert Dock...
Well that's my theory anyway???

wa1115

Reaction score
Cheers, But doesnt seem to work like that the tide at Beverley end can still be going out ages after hight tide down at albert, it's twisting my melon.

wa1115

Reaction score
I have no Idea, may try what you suggested and see how I get on.

Alan Tyler

Reaction score
Don't know the earea, but had a quick google for boating sites - is this gen any help?

"BBBA rule of thumb corrections for Grovehill lock::
On spring tides:
LW Grovehill lock is 1hr 30mins before HW Albert dock.
HW Grovehill lock is 1hr 30mins after HW Albert dock.
On Neap tides:
LW Grovehill lock is 1hr before HW Albert dock.
HW Grovehill lock is 1hr 20mins after HW Albert dock.
All tides:
Levels will rise for around 20 minutes before any flood is visible. The flood will continue for around 20 minutes after HW as levels drop. The flood runs for about 2 hours, the ebb for 10."

Copied from: Beverley Beck Boating Association

It's on the right-hand column of the home page.

---------- Post added at 15:59 ---------- Previous post was at 15:53 ----------

By the way, once you've established when the biggest spring tides and the smallest neaps occur at any spot, they'll happen there at the same time of day each lunar month.

wa1115

Reaction score
Cheers Alan, still slightly confused but it does help, seems to me it comes in for around 3 hours and out for 10, Peter wasn't far off in his theory

bracket

Reaction score
Not sure if this site will help. I use it for the tides at Poole, always correct and I have fed in the ports of Hull and Goole which must be more than 7 miles apart. Seemed OK. See what you think.Goole Tide Times | Tidetimes.co.uk .Pete.

wa1115

Reaction score
Cheers Pete I shall have a look now, please don't think I have just put a post up without having a search first but was struggling thats all.

wa1115

Reaction score
Hang on so are we on a Spring tide or Neap tide? Sod it I will find out in morning around half 5.

greenie62

Reaction score
Sorry if I insult your intelligence - not intended - BUT:
- are you sure it's flagging the right Albert Dock? - and not the one on the Mersey!
- are you reading the times as GMT or BST and applying the appropriate +/- 1Hr? - The tables referenced don't specify.

It used to p*ss me off that the 'official' tide tables posted in the Liverpool Echo years ago were always in GMT - even in the middle of Summer! Caused many a missed High Tide!

Also estuarine Tide Times are always prone to fluctuation caused by river flood height and storms out at sea!
Tight Lines!