Plastic bags

Cliff Hatton

Reaction score
I am one of millions and millions of Britons who quite routinely remark upon Governmental failure to recognise problems which we, the public, clearly identified 10-20 years before. How many times have you heard somebody remark “We’ve been telling them about this for years!”
When the message finally gets through to Government their response is invariably inadequate; just look at its handling of immigration, education and housing.
Just a few days back, bowing at long last to worldwide alarm at plastic-pollution, our Government decided to get really, really tough by imposing a 5p tax on shop-sold plastic bags – That’ll learn ‘em!
I might be missing something here but I really can’t think what that might be. Do the Brains of Westminster honestly believe that 5p will make us all think twice about buying a bag or deter us from throwing them out with the weekly rubbish?
We know we’re taken for fools by many of those we elect ostensibly to protect our interests but in this case of conservation and environmental concern the imposition of a 5p tax on plastic carrier bags can be seen as nothing more than a sop to the Green lobby and a nice little earner for – presumably – the Government.
Now assuming a degree of sincerity about their concern for the environment why has nobody in power seen fit to whack a £2.00 tax on plastic bags? I mean, that’s worth thinking about, isn’t it? I bet everyone would make sure they re-use their bags if failure to do so meant another couple of quid on their shopping bill.
Such a measure would make news worldwide and, hopefully, spur-on other governments to start thinking realistically about their country’s environment; who knows, Central America might start to look a bit cleaner. I’ve travelled from Panama to Guatemala, stopping at all the countries en route, and have been appalled at the squalor so many choose to live in – plastic, plastic everywhere; washed-up on beaches and piled-up in villages. On the Venezuelan coast I watched in dismay as rock-fishermen packed-up at the end of the day and routinely consigned their day’s junk to the Caribbean; and in that country’s forests I’ve been stunned, no less, to find plastic bags full of ‘Polar’ lager tins.
If only the egotists in Parliament would allow themselves to associate with the unsexy subject of rubbish disposal they could, one day, be hailed as the saviours of our ‘green and pleasant land’; but at this time pollution simply isn’t attractive or edgy enough to attract them, yet everything depends on a decent environment.

B

binka

I think the impact of 5p on a plastic bag will be felt differently depending upon region.

Take Yorkshire for instance, 5p is 50% of a weeks housekeeping :eek: ;) :D

john step

Reaction score
OK so I am going to play devils advocate here.....
I realise there is an environmental cost to PRODUCING plastic bags but....

We are told that these bags take eons to rot down in the ground. If thats the case then surely they are inert, just like inert matter in the ground ie ROCKS.
This will happen less and less now more local authorities are using rubb
ish to fuel generators.

The shops will save themselves the cost of supplying bags which a lot of people use as rubbish bags. Now they will have to BUY rubbish bags supplied by those shops. Then put them in the wheelie bin to end up in the same place as the carrier bags previously used.

I and many others on here will be old enough to remember the times before the widespread use of supermarket carrier bags whereby people took their own shopping bags.
This practise was frowned upon by many shops and supermarkets. They supplied bags so they knew the goods were PAID for.
They also got a FREE advert.

Yes I think carrier bags blowing around in the environment is not a good thing on many fronts but things have not been a clean cut and one sided as some commentators would have us believe.

thecrow

Reaction score
If they disappear completely what will I use to get the dog cr@p up? :D I will have to go back to a shovel and flicking it over next doors garden again :)

Some very good points John.

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
I'm old enough to remember when the default packaging in every shop was a brown paper bag and carriers were seen as a bit of a luxury......mainly because every housewife had either a bag/basket or trolley/basket on a stick and shopped in small quantities every day. That's largely disappeared now for everyone bar those of (say) my parents generation. People shopped like that cos most people had neither fridge nor cars so the whole concept of a weekly shop barely existed.

Carriers in the greengrocers I worked in agefd 16 cost 6d (2.5 p) so half the current 5p charge and this was nearly 45 years ago. It didn't stop people buying them but by hell.it made them think about it

I shall be interested to see if this stops Mr Tecso delivering my online shop in about 3 times the number of bags it needs and what I get charged for them. They often come with only 1 or 2 items in and I'll be damned if they think they're going to charge me 5p for everyone !

Mrs S is never without at least a couple of carriers but she is a women and therefore is never without a bag to put her bags in. It is different for hairy arsed blokes . My Bag for Life does not fit in my wallet.....though she does a fair job of emptying it !

Last edited:

geoffmaynard

Content Editor
Reaction score
I moved to Wales three years ago discovered this 5p per bag system was already in place here - in every shop, not just supermarkets. In all the Welsh supermarkets I use, the vast majority of customers now bring their own bags. I do too.

maggot_dangler

Reaction score
OK so I am going to play devils advocate here.....
I realise there is an environmental cost to PRODUCING plastic bags but....

We are told that these bags take eons to rot down in the ground. If thats the case then surely they are inert, just like inert matter in the ground ie ROCKS.
This will happen less and less now more local authorities are using rubb
ish to fuel generators.

Pruned !!!!! .

Hummm bit of a prunng there to make my point i have used these so called almost indestructable plastic bags to store things in for a period of time( only to find well before i am ready to sort and deal with said contents ) have hit the deck because the bag has rotted in a matter of a couple of months , Not all behave like this but there are a lot of bio degradable bags now that have a usefull lifespan measured in months at tops ..

Bring back the brown paper bag !!! , plastic causes so much fresh food to go off because it cant breath ....

PG ...

wanderer

Reaction score
I'm old enough to remember when the default packaging in every shop was a brown paper bag and carriers were seen as a bit of a luxury......mainly because every housewife had either a bag/basket or trolley/basket on a stick and shopped in small quantities every day. That's largely disappeared now for everyone bar those of (say) my parents generation. People shopped like that cos most people had neither fridge nor cars so the whole concept of a weekly shop barely existed.

Carriers in the greengrocers I worked in agefd 16 cost 6d (2.5 p) so half the current 5p charge and this was nearly 45 years ago. It didn't stop people buying them but by hell.it made them think about it

I shall be interested to see if this stops Mr Tecso delivering my online shop in about 3 times the number of bags it needs and what I get charged for them. They often come with only 1 or 2 items in and I'll be damned if they think they're going to charge me 5p for everyone !

Mrs S is never without at least a couple of carriers but she is a women and therefore is never without a bag to put her bags in. It is different for hairy arsed blokes . My Bag for Life does not fit in my wallet.....though she does a fair job of emptying it !

I remember the old brown paper bags, brilliant whilst dry, but when wet, the bottom used to drop out.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Its what they do in the sea worries me, your cod in your cod and chips will melt one day when you cook it.
Ban them all together, paper bags is the only real answer, if they cost a £1, so be it.

However, I did have a conversation with a small shop owner yesterday, he said people are using them a bit less. Its those that buy a 20p newspaper and insist on a plastic bag that really annoyed him. He said people are just being made aware more and carrying one or two items instead of thinking they have an automatic right to a carrier bag every time they buy something.
But it will never be enough, 5p is just silly. Ban them altogether, we can cope without them

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Like many others here on FM I was brought up in the era when a lady would never dream of going to the shops without her shopping bag . . . . .

I cannot remember the last time I asked for a plastic carrier bag as I buy the "bag-4-life" equivalents from Waitrose and always empty them at home and then put them back in the boot of my car . . . . . .

It also avoids having that huge collection of plastic carriers in the cupboard under the sink.

In both of the tackle shops I frequent they use ex-supermarket plastic bags to pack whatever bits and piece you have bought from them . . . . . and give them to you for free . . . . I wonder if that will change now?

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
Like many others here on FM I was brought up in the era when a lady would never dream of going to the shops without her shopping bag . . . . .

In those days I believe a lady could be arrested for appearing in public without a shopping bag...or at the very least a string bag. Much the same applied to gentleman appearing at football matches incorrectly attired...ie not wearing a hat.

String bags,baskets on sticks and plastic rain hats. What times we grew up in ! :eek:mg:

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2011/09/14/article-0-0DE52A5B00000578-952_634x494.jpg

I rest my case !

Last edited:

arthur2sheds

Reaction score
I say there's a rakish cove without a hat on in the picture... slightly left of center and about 2" up from the hoarding board.... :p

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
I say there's a rakish cove without a hat on in the picture... slightly left of center and about 2" up from the hoarding board.... :p

. . . you have altogether far too much time on your hands . . . .

Go Fishing

')

---------- Post added at 11:38 ---------- Previous post was at 11:36 ----------

.or at the very least a string bag

My goodness, I had quite forgotten about those things . . my gran' used to have one in the pocket of her coat, and never went out without either