Anyone braving it this weekend?

B

binka

The forecast is not great again but it's an improvement on what they were saying earlier in the week.

I'm off early in the morning, hope to get on the riverbank and hour before daybreak and with quite a hike with the rucksack I won't be taking the brolly and I plan to be away for around two'ish when the rain moves in unless I'm catching, in which case i'll stick it out whatever.

Good luck to the guys out on the LIF on Sunday, hope it's a good un and look forward to seeing a few pics and reading a good write up.

Anyone else got plans?

sam vimes

Reaction score
I plan to watch the footie on Saturday. I plan to combine Sunday dinner with footie and Grand Prix watching. There may even be a little bit of tennis thrown in. Fortunately, I got my fix earlier in the week and the forecast is still grim in my neck of the woods.

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
As one of the LIF bound idiots my plan is simply to still be alive at the end of the day. I've fished the LIF a few times now and only once would I say that the weather has been benign.

My box is sorted. Knicker rigs tied. All I need now is bait and a lifejacket. Bloody Noah has done us again.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I wish you luck Steve :).

Unfortunatly the weather round these parts for tomorrow and Sunday is solid heavy rain and the rivers will already be in flood after the heavy rain of today so i'll be bowing out. Forecast ain't lookin' too tropical for the coming week either!

rubio

Reaction score
I'll be heading to the LIF for my first FM fishing experience. Seems I've selected the perfect trip to endure the poor luck that appears to beset these things.
I'm surprised because I clearly stated I wanted calm, even if not warm conditions. Not knowing the FM formalities and procedures could anyone tell me whom I should blame?

barbelboi

Reaction score
Looking forward to the LIF - It'll be a pussycat compared to the one a few years ago..........

Last edited:

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
Wish i was getting out on the bank, but its work all weekend, just far to busy and everyone wants the work done for christmas. That isn't going to happen.

Good luck where ever you go, keep safe if there's floods

naxian62

Reaction score
I'll be out. There has to be a sheltered spot somewheres....

flightliner

Reaction score
Best of luck to anyone out over this weekend, I got mine in yesterday thankfully.
I know some of the major rivers are likely to be out of sorts on account of the rain but some smaller rivers and streams are sometimes at their best with the extra water, well worth checking out.

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
I'll be heading to the LIF for my first FM fishing experience. Seems I've selected the perfect trip to endure the poor luck that appears to beset these things.
I'm surprised because I clearly stated I wanted calm, even if not warm conditions. Not knowing the FM formalities and procedures could anyone tell me whom I should blame?

Windy....or Noah as he's known to us. He has his own personal Biblical Tempest that follows him around.

---------- Post added at 10:13 ---------- Previous post was at 10:11 ----------

I'm a Lif bound idiot.....(.) (.)

Once again...no argument from me.

---------- Post added at 10:16 ---------- Previous post was at 10:13 ----------

Looking forward to the LIF - It'll be a pussycat compared to the one a few years ago..........

It will. That one was epic. I probably have been colder but I cant remember when. I packed up when I lost a hook and could not tie another on despite trying for 30 mins.

Just as a precaution I've informed the Coastguard and Air-Sea Rescue have put a chopper on standby when I told them Windy was coming !

Neil Maidment

Reaction score
Four similarly bound LIF goers met today on the Stour to discuss tactics and generally put the world to rights. The wind and rain arrived as forecast and is currently blowing a hoolie.

Wet suits and surf boards for tomorrow is the considered view :eek:mg:

---------- Post added at 18:35 ---------- Previous post was at 18:18 ----------

Those who know me will be aware I'm rather partial to trotting for big chub, particularly on the Dorset Stour. Well I managed to find three fine chub today, all of which were the right side of 5lb, one of which was nudging towards six. I have had chub over 7lbs on the float but not for a while.

Today I hooked another solid lump that got me rather fidgety. Struck as the float disappeared and held the resistance for a few nano seconds, long enough to think "weed again", but then felt the characteristic head nod of a big chevin.

A very sullen and solid fight ensued, taking ages to feel in control but eventually got it upstream to me. Several big boils as it dived for freedom but glimpses of the dark back and a big dark tail clearly indicated a BIG Stour chub. The float finally appeared under the rod tip and again, a chub was totally confirmed.... until a bloody great Sea Trout appeared! Fresh and fit it should have been charging all over the place but it was definitely a chub :eek:mg:

009_604_x_479_.jpg

View image in gallery

I guess the writing was on the wall really, the first fish of the day was a long, lean, well spent cock salmon!

Last edited:

Windy

Reaction score
Windy....or Noah as he's known to us. He has his own personal Biblical Tempest that follows him around....

Just as a precaution I've informed the Coastguard and Air-Sea Rescue have put a chopper on standby when I told them Windy was coming !

You can't blame this one on me today.

Woke up, looked out the window, listened to the shrieking gale whistling through the swaying oak tree (and its a biiiiiig tree....) and bottled it I'm afraid :eek:mg:.

Good luck to those brave souls who have made the effort, but I'm afraid I will just have to accept the charge of "Fair weather fisherman...."

Shame, as the LIF fish in has been my favourite day's fishing of the year for the last five or six years we've been doing it. January or February anyone ?

qtaran111

Reaction score
Had a great weekend, despite the best efforts of the great British weather to drown me and blow me into the lake.

A Brazilian friend of mine had expressed an interest in learning to fish and we'd chosen the weekend just gone for lesson one (lesson one probably should've been stay in Brazil for better weather).

Anyway with lots of layers of clothing, boots and waterproofs off we went. As expected we were the only idiots out there and the wind was a complete nightmare. Even the local heron gave up trying to stay in the trees and sat looking dejected on the bank.

Despite weather from hell we had a great day. I'd set him up with fairly light gear for silvers and would you know it he hooked a nice common carp (about 6 or 7lb) and did a great job of playing and landing the fish with my float rod bent double. Job well done as he wants to go again!

IMG_4616-S.jpg

Happy learner with first UK carp

robtherake

Reaction score
Solid rain here, even if I had the chance of venturing out I'm really not that desperate, all of a sudden. :D

I've had to move the motorhome - it's started raining tiles from the ever-so-high block of flats behind us. One of the residents knocked on the door, advising me to shift it. Apparently, there's insulation sticking through the hole where the tiles used to be and what with the forecast for more rain, followed by more gales in a day or two, there may just be a repeat of what happened last week, when a similar building just along the way shed it's whole roof, timbers and all. Perhaps we should move into the relative protection of the lounge for the duration....seriously!

Last edited:
Reaction score
Heading onto the Trent or the Dove this weekend for a bit of... well, I haven't decided what yet. Will probably go for the Chub on the Trent, unless the drop shotting bug catches me again.