new to drop shotting - advice/ideas/thoughts/fancies, please share

shane99

Reaction score
I didn't catch anything today ? drop-shotted at the local gravel pit that is well established. I am probably doing something wrong :eek:. Any ideas or advice for a beginner please ?

naxian62

Reaction score
Find Steve Colletts vid on utube. Aimed at matches but good solid advice from the best.
Oh, and keep at it.

rayner

Reaction score
I didn't catch anything today ? drop-shotted at the local gravel pit that is well established. I am probably doing something wrong :eek:. Any ideas or advice for a beginner please ?

You're not alone it's not easy to get to grips with.
Once you get it you'll be fine, most bites I get are little plucks that are easier to spot if you make sure the drop shot stays on the bottom motionless.

qtaran111

Reaction score
I think the two most common mistakes with dropshotting are casting out too far and overdoing the movement. If you want to cast to far banks or features you're better off using a jig head or spinning. With dropshotting you're better off dropping the lure at or near your feet by a feature. For the movement, remember it's a finesse technique. Try to keep the weight still on the bottom and then impart very very small movements to the rod tip.

Other tips:
- use smaller hooks and lures than advertised in most drop shot ads. Start with a size 8 or 10 and a 4cm lure, not those 10cm jobs with size 2 hook.
- try different lure shapes and colours, see what works
- keep trying. I find it takes a while to get "in the zone"
- when your lure is in the water try and "feel" what is going on under the surface
- as with all perch fishing look for snags, cover, features, slack. You can't catch what ain't there

flatsfishing

Reaction score
The biggest mistake with dropshotting is falling into the trap that Fox and other manufacturers want you to in thinking that it is the new wonder method.

It works, no doubt about that, but for me it is a technique which I will use if I am struggling and want to get some perch at least or once I have found a school of perch and want to fish at a certain depth fairly static. I also find it quite boring.

I would suggest fishing a small soft plastic on a jig head to explore the water more and then if you find a shoal of fish close in (drop shotting is a short range technique) then switch to drop shotting.