Reel strength

mujician

Reaction score
Hi,
If I was looking to buy some new reels - I know that the numbers refer to the amount of line that I'm able to fit on the spools, and the gear ratio tells me how fast or slow it will wind. However, how do I know how strong it is? I would like to be able to catch catfish and I'm aware they are all muscle and fight like a champ, but I also want to catch carp, and maybe a catfish reel will be a bit overkill for carp. So what do I need to look for? What info do I need to look for when browsing?

sam vimes

Reaction score
Some manufacturers list maximum drag settings for their reels, so that may help. As for the actual structural strength of the reel, it shouldn't be an issue, even with the biggest fish, if the reel is being used correctly. Only if an attempt is made to winch a fish in would the structural strength of a reel be significantly tested.

There's not a known catfish swimming in UK waters that I'd not be prepared to use a bog standard baitrunner type reel on. Any of the big pit, or mini big pit reels, that are currently in vogue in carping circles, should be more than up to the task.