First freshwater trip of the year!

mightyboosh

Reaction score
It's winter, so that means freshwater fishing, or more precisely in my case, fishing for trout with coarse fishing methods.

A chilly start to the day at 10 degrees C, but it soon warmed up. The venue is a natural dune lake. Just over the dunes is the wild west coast of the Tasman Sea where great white sharks and marlin cruise the waters.

Arrived at 0900 after a 2 hour drive. As per usual, not another soul to be seen. Unfortunately, the wind was in exactly the wrong direction and since I was determined to fish a sliding waggler, this meant a long walk around the lake so the wind was on my back.

IMG_1311-2_zpsb2w5qzmn.jpg

Rig was a homemade sliding waggler which holds 14g. Mainline and leader were 6lb mono and fluorocarbon respectively which seemed ridiculously light after a summer of saltwater fishing. Bait was presented at around 20 feet, a couple of feet off the bottom.

Bait was whole cooked prawns, 3 - 4 inches long, mounted with a baiting needle.

IMG_1341_zpsejyc3pwn.jpg

IMG_1340_zpscf5njemi.jpg

Rod was an old Daiwa spinning rod. At 10ft with large rings, it is bizarrely well suited to this style of fishing. My new rod rest heads were employed and bodged on to extending broom sticks. I can't wait until my bank sticks arrive in shipping!

IMG_1320_zpsmorgafzs.jpg

IMG_1315_zpsimd1tmbt.jpg

Once setup, it was just a question of waiting. At 1030, I got my first bite, typical timing for this water. The takes aren't dramatic, the float just disappears. Unfortunately, it didn't stay disappeared and popped back up.

Next bite was 10 minutes later. My strike resulted in nothing and the prawn came back bitten off just below the hook. Who says trout are stupid?

Next bite resulted in a solid hook-up. After a spirited fight, a beautiful 2.56kg (5.6lb) rainbow graced my net. SUCCESS! It was immediately dispatched and is now residing in my friend's smoker.

IMG_1338-2_zpseuw3oetu.jpg

The next few hours were very quiet. Some reading material helped pass the time, not the Angling Times I'm afraid.

IMG_1314_zpsjgokgwbx.jpg

The fish started biting again at 1500. Had a hook-up. Took me straight in to a snag. Unusual because there aren't many snags in the lake and this isn't typical behaviour for these trout. Couldn't get my tackle back, so reluctantly pulled for a break. Next cast, rod almost got pulled off the rests, again very unusual. Fish slipped the hook after putting a good bend in the rod.

Connected with a good fish on the next cast. I was certainly thinking in terms of a double figure trout, then it started thrashing at the surface and realised I'd hooked an eel. This "python" was over a metre long. I was planning to get a photo, but was relieved when it slipped the hook close to the bank.

I have no desire to catch eels, so presented the bait a bit shallower and caught a nice rainbow at around 2lb almost immediately. Since I already had a good fish in the bag, this was released. Next cast resulted in a fish of around 1lb which was also released. Since I promised to cook dinner, I called it a day and went home happy with my bag.

IMG_1346_zpsffba8jf2.jpg

mikench

Reaction score
Looks an idyllic spot and such clear water. I enjoyed your post and the pics. Will try the med today but do not hold out much hope! It is seriously overfished at the commercial level and fish of any size near the shore are few and far between.

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
Mightyboosh... A wonderful part of the world as I found out last year ! Enjoyed some wonderful walks along the west coast of the North Island ( sort of due west of the Auckland ) and although plenty of signs up warning of sharks I was still amazed to see squads of school children in the sea and surfers coming in on the huge waves.

I don't know where you are exactly but I'm not surprised you didn't see other anglers at your lake as the only ones I saw was south of Taupo on the fast running rivers. Never saw an angler on a still water !!
I never did fish, but it was a bit special watching others fly fish for the huge trout..

Lovely trout, by the way and top eating in my book ! ( Shame you didn't fancy the eel, although you would not have needed many chips to go with it !! ) )

ps Hope to do some of the South Island for a few weeks next year.................

Great post, by the way !

Last edited:

mightyboosh

Reaction score
Thanks mikench. My parents live in Cyprus, so I have wasted many an hour (actually more like day or week!) trying to extract a decent fish from the Med. My only advice would be target mullet with light coarse gear using bread-based baits and plenty of groundbait. It's the most likely way of catching something decent. Having said that, spinning has produced the odd small bass for me. Then there are the sea bream, they are fickle, but will take small fish or squid baits. Good luck!

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Sounds great, I think i'd eat fish from a water that looks so clean!
Unfortunatly i'd be eating all kinds of nasties built up in the trout round these parts.

mightyboosh

Reaction score
Thanks for sharing. New Zealand is high on my places to Trout fish.

Unfortunately, I live in the worst part of the country for trout. It's a bit too warm and the rivers are generally lacklustre. We are actually north of Hobart.

The further south you go, the better the trout fishing gets and it is quite exceptional on the South Island.

greenie62

Reaction score
.... all kinds of nasties built up in the trout round these parts.

Indeed - some of the trout in the Irwell are cracking fish - and there are plenty of them - BUT they need a Govenment Health warning due to the toxic build-up!:eek::eek:

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
Indeed - some of the trout in the Irwell are cracking fish - and there are plenty of them - BUT they need a Govenment Health warning due to the toxic build-up!:eek::eek:

That's why they rise in hot weather, so much Mercury in them!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk