Should angling be an olympic sport.

flightliner

Reaction score
Carp anglers olympics,
First out of a bivvy on the sound of an optonic and gets to his rods 20 mtrs away.
first to cover the whole lake with four rods.
first to spod 25 kgs of boillies with a plus or minus accuracy of two mtrs.
First to shoot off 5 piks to five mates of the fish on a mobile.

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
What about the world championships then???,how come the best anglers/teams always come out on top over 2 days??...anyway,a lot of the normal olympic sports,are boring to watch,probably most of them actually....and ok, then going back to fisho,which Jamie Hughes won,would you say there was a better angler there than him,i wouldnt;)

They dont, not everytime.

The olympics is about events being equal. You dont have a runner get a 10 yard start in the 100 mts. You dont get to do the high jump and use a ladder.

I get to see a hell of a lot of paint dry in my work, watching anglers fishing an overstocked puddle like fish O would be more boring.

flightliner

Reaction score
All events at the very least should be available to anyone, running, jumping , swimming, all fit the description, but horseriding is pretty elitist/expensive whichever way you look at it, and whats happened to all entrees being amateur, suddenly we have pro golfers, tennis players, its a joke.

kenpm

Reaction score
More likely will be the introduction of casting both distance and accuracy as this has been put forward a few times and does not hurt little fishies

Chefster

Reaction score
They dont, not everytime.

The olympics is about events being equal. You dont have a runner get a 10 yard start in the 100 mts. You dont get to do the high jump and use a ladder.

I get to see a hell of a lot of paint dry in my work, watching anglers fishing an overstocked puddle like fish O would be more boring.
The world championships are not fished on overstocked carp puddles,they are on natural waterways,every country has them,and yes the best anglers and countries always do win or get a medal,but also it does give other/smaller countries the chance to win a medal,whats wrong with that??

steve2

Reaction score
There hasn't been an amateur olympics for many years. You need to be sponsored to compete at this level. The reason golf,tennis, football are in the olympics is because the sponsors and TV companies wanted them in.
As far as watching match fishing I have to agree that I would rather watch the grass grow or the paint dry.

Chefster

Reaction score
There hasn't been an amateur olympics for many years. You need to be sponsored to compete at this level. The reason golf,tennis, football are in the olympics is because the sponsors and TV companies wanted them in.
As far as watching match fishing I have to agree that I would rather watch the grass grow or the paint dry.
Well id rather watch paint dry and grass grow than tennis,cricket,golf,running,jumping,gymnastics etc,bunch of boring cr@p;)

flightliner

Reaction score
In the "Old style" all england match and the later events it was common to see loads of spectators sat behind one competitor or another, I did it myself on one occasion on the Welland along with some friends, the road from Spalding to Crowland was rammed with spectators and it was impossible to see Ivan Marks on account of the crowds.
Could'nt the same enthusiasm be generated in an olympic scenario .?

Last edited:

Chefster

Reaction score
In the "Old style" all england match and the later events it was common to see loads of spectators sat behind one competitor or another, I did it myself on one occasion on the Welland along with some friends, the road from Spalding to Crowland was rammed with spectators and it was impossible to see Ivan Marks on account of the crowds.
Could'nt the same enthusiasm be generated in an olympic scenario .?
Obviously not ,judging by some of the negative comments,personally id watch fishing at that standard all day long rather than normal olympic sports:D

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
The world championships are not fished on overstocked carp puddles,they are on natural waterways,every country has them,and yes the best anglers and countries always do win or get a medal,but also it does give other/smaller countries the chance to win a medal,whats wrong with that??

No the best dont always win, fact, and many of the venues get stocked before also.

We have to face the fact that there are not as many anglers today as in years gone by, and the majority of anglers would rather be fishing than watching it.