The Ones That Got Away Get Huge

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Taken from the national geographic, thought it was interesting, the idea of robotic fish keeping an eye on things:-

Biologists were stunned in 2013, to pull a goldfish more than 15 inches long from Lake Tahoe. And it had company; aquarium fish dumped by their owners have been multiplying in the lake-and growing enormous. Since the goldfish have plenty of food and little competition, “it may be possible to see larger goldfish in the the future in Tahoe” says Sudeep Chandra, an aquatic ecosystems researcher at the university of Nevada Reno.
The secret to growing these monster size fish is time. Unlike people who stop growing after puberty, many fish keep growing as long as they live. A lake sturgeon for example, can live to be over a 100 and grow up to nine feet long, in much of the world however, over fishing prevents fish from living long lives. As a result, “the world is losing its big fish” says fish biologist Zeb Hogan.
Yet in some places where fishing is restricted, new size records are being set, “what seemed like fish stories in the past now seem believable” says Hogan, host of the monster fish television show on Nat geo Wild. The return of true behemoths could take 30 or 40 years he says.
As the goldfish keep growing in Lake Tahoe Chandra aims to document how they are changing the ecosystem. On the drawing board; a miniature robot fish that could stealthily observe the giants.

mikench

Reaction score
...a bit like plants really; confine them to a pot their growth is restricted and they become pot bound. Replant them in soil and they quickly grow.

God knows what may lurk in some large lakes!

robtherake

Reaction score
There are some whopping goldfish (and relatives) in our park lakes. I'm surprised that it was only 15", unless it lacks the genetics to grow big.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
There are some whopping goldfish (and relatives) in our park lakes. I'm surprised that it was only 15", unless it lacks the genetics to grow big.
Actually I thought that Rob, I have seen big goldfish or are they Orfe, I am not sure if they are the same thing and I am sure the article is wrong on that count, fish can grow to any size, genetics must be part of how big fish can grow. Funnily enough I often find the Nat geographic dubious in some of its articles, not the bible it makes out to be but I do like the mag generally, some very good articles and pics.
I liked the idea of robotic fish swimming around assessing the situation, I might buy one to find that 5lb roach; when it finds it a flag on a periscope comes up. Send my bait boat out to drop the bait on its nose and send a drone to bring it in and then claim the record then go after the carp record.

Last edited:

mikench

Reaction score
Mark , whilst off topic , google YouTube Hungarian scientists find drones fly like birds . You will be gobsmacked!;)

Do not be put off by the intro as it explains the science behind it and explains what is happening . I will attach a link if I can. It is amazing!

Mike

Here you go:https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=LQFlimEZA9Q

Last edited:

old_school

Reaction score
I used to fish a village pond just outside of Blackpool in a village called wray green. we used to catch goldies from 8oz to just over a pound.
on the village green, there was a travelling fair each year and we can only guess that when people won goldfish and didn't want to keep them, they set them free in the pond and they simply adopted their new home and grew well!
that must have been 20 odd years ago and as far as I know the pond and goldfish are still there.

B

binka

This was one of a few which I caught from a local park lake a few years ago, not that big but I lost a golden fantail at the net during the same session that would have dwarfed it...

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Mark , whilst off topic , google YouTube Hungarian scientists find drones fly like birds . You will be gobsmacked!;)

Do not be put off by the intro as it explains the science behind it and explains what is happening . I will attach a link if I can. It is amazing!

Mike

Here you go:https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=LQFlimEZA9Q

Got it Mike, amazing, Not seen everything yet were these applications will go. I have read eagles are being trained to bring them down as well, human innovation knows no bounds.

mikench

Reaction score
You are right there Mark and whilst mixing posts we surely can do something about signal cray fish!;)

tom_moran

Reaction score
At my new work there are emergency water supplies that have never been used, there used to be a fair inside the perimeter an the soldiers used to win fish and put them in the EWS. Some have grown big, I've seen one that's probably 1/2lb but a colleague says there a big black one that's huge.

ba2af0d2eb043f5c326592a6e2f0a900.jpg
0d9939e17011f879c9b7ab4597fd4b1c.jpg
f6fe8bdafa0fcfc021ccc6d9025c8bcc.jpg

Sent from my E6853 using Tapatalk