Rod tip protectors

mikench

Reaction score
Having broken a tip i.e. the end eye and about an inch of the rod tip when I thought I was being careful, I feel I must do something to prevent it happening again. I have a padded Middy rod case which takes a made up 11 ft ( in 2 sections)pellet waggler and reel. It had loads of room and I put my Darent Valley rod in a rod bag tied at the ends in the Middy case as well.

I feel that a protector which covers the end of the bag that is one that slides over the two tips in their bag, a bit like a cigar case goes over 2 or 3 cigars in parallel would be best! Is such a thing commercially available?

Last edited:

mikench

Reaction score
Genius Rayner! I have found some in the garage which fits around the entire end of the rod bag containing the two piece rod! Is this what you do or do you fit a piece around the rod section itself? If the latter I need to buy smaller diameter lagging!

I had clearly become careless but how I managed to do it I still don't know!:)

rayner

Reaction score
Genius Rayner! I have found some in the garage which fits around the entire end of the rod bag containing the two piece rod! Is this what you do or do you fit a piece around the rod section itself? If the latter I need to buy smaller diameter lagging!

I had clearly become careless but how I managed to do it I still don't know!:)

I carry my rods ready to use in a hard case bag, the lagging I use is 15mm, I split the seam of the lagging then tape it to fit the two pieces together in my rod bag, I only use it for a belt and braces safety. If your way is better for you go with that.

mikench

Reaction score
As my experience grows i am coming round to the view that making up a rod is no big deal and storing a rod broken in two with reel and line attached saves little time and is risky!

Thanks for your advice but I think i might in future, just store my rods in a padded case in their bag and the reels in their padded cases. I will use the lagging as a belt and braces measure.

Setting up is rather fun and I am never, heaven forbid, in a match situation where time is fish is money.

Keith M

Reaction score
As my experience grows i am coming round to the view that making up a rod is no big deal and storing a rod broken in two with reel and line attached saves little time and is risky!

Thanks for your advice but I think i might in future, just store my rods in a padded case in their bag and the reels in their padded cases. I will use the lagging as a belt and braces measure.

Setting up is rather fun and I am never, heaven forbid, in a match situation where time is fish is money.

I do a lot of short opportunistic sessions on my local stream when I may only have a couple of hours in the evenings to catch some barbel or chub, and having my rod ready made up on these short sessions saves me a great deal of time and I can be fishing within a minute or two of arriving at a swim. All I need to do is unfold my rod and put some bait on, plus I can do this without causing any bankside disturbance whatsoever, so that's why I tend to do it.

If I am fishing for longer periods then I don't mind having to setup my rods from scratch but not on my short opportunistic sessions when I know exactly how I'm going to fish a water beforehand.

Keith

Last edited:

mikench

Reaction score
At the moment I tend to only go fishing for the day on my days off. I do not have the time to go just for a few hours but that may change!:)

robtherake

Reaction score
I fit ESP padded top and tail sets to my 3-piece made up float rods for carriage on a Korum quiver. Lost count of the number of times rods have been caught in the herbage on the walk there and back and I'd prefer that those super-fine tips have at least a modest amount of protection. The bottom one keeps the muck and dust that accumulates in the pocket from entering the rod sections. Fitting them only takes a few seconds, so why not.

mikench

Reaction score
I cannot quite grasp what your quiver looks like with rods on the outside rather than within! Is that how you transport them Rob?

robtherake

Reaction score
Last edited:

mikench

Reaction score
Wow! One lives and learns Rob! You never know i might just need one of those one day but as was said in Gladiator " Not yet not yet";)

rayner

Reaction score

Mike.
I wasn't advocating you mimic my use of carrying rods, I was merely pointing out the way I use pipe lagging.
I find it close to impossible to set up a rod on the bank, that would be risky for the rod and myself. Ready made is essential for me.

mikench

Reaction score
Rayner your use of pipe lagging is a good idea and at the moment I am going to use it to prevent further damage to my rods.

The replacemt tip ( 5 feet of rod) arrived yesterday and on comparing it and the broken tip. i can see i have lost about 3 inches:eek:

I will try and fix it with a new eye and see if the shortened tip works! Who says size matters;) I cannot believe how easily i broke the tip and i was careful.

I think I had too many rods in the bag!