Northern lights

seth49

Reaction score
According to an app I have on my phone, there's every chance of seeing these tonight.
Not here though ,full cloud cover and drizzle. Typical.

chrissh

Reaction score
I have been lucky to see the northern light in Norway 1980 when I was in the navy …it was 0ne of two times I have ever known a ship crew to be silenced by the sight of the sky changing colour. The other time the ship was silent was when we sailed into the Falkland’s 1982

seth49

Reaction score
The app is called AuroraWatch if anyone is interested.
I've only ever seen them once here in the north of England, a bit faint but they were definitely visible.

Keith M

Reaction score
I have been lucky to see the northern light in Norway 1980 when I was in the navy …it was 0ne of two times I have ever known a ship crew to be silenced by the sight of the sky changing colour. The other time the ship was silent was when we sailed into the Falkland’s 1982

I saw them back in the 70s while I was on HMS Eagle in the artic circle attacking Norway in a joint Naval exercise.

Keith

Last edited:

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Having lived and worked for many years in both Canada and Norway I have been fortunate enough to have seen the northern Lights n many occasions.

In Canada it was not often seen, in fact a relatively rare occurrence, but in Norway at the right time of the eyar and conditions it ccold be a nightly affair.

It must rate as one of the most beautiful natural phenomenon on this planet, and if you get the chance to see it then grab it with both hands.