Angling gifts from non anglers - the weird and the wonderful !

Philip

Reaction score
With Xmas on the way and being the only angler amougst friends and family I often get angling related gifts from people who are not fishermen themselves. Of course I am always grateful as I know it can’t be easy for non anglers to pick an angling gift & down the years I have had all sorts.

Angling Encyclopedias are a favourte gift choice, the sort that try & cover every aspect of angling from trotting for Dace in a stream to deep sea wreck fishing for Conger in the same book and giving helpful advice like “always use strong line for Conger” (…really ?..I never would have guessed..). Fishing annuals were another favourite in the past & the Anglers mail annual I imagine must have made its way into many an anglers Xmas stocking. One of my friends once got me a little book called “Anglings strangest tales”, a collection of short stories about weird and wonderful angling escapades..quite an unusal choice and enjoyable read…9/10 for effort on that one !

DVDs have of course become popular gifts now but again I get a feeling non anglers struggle as to which ones to choose. One of the more unusual given to me was the box set of the BBC seris "trawler men"...which turned out to be a strangely riveting watch !

Gloves, penknifes and various hats are other favourite gifts, along with items of warm or waterproof clothing. Ponchos for some reason seem to attract non anglers like magnets and I now have an impressive collection of them. Strangely Angling ornements are another often proferred gift & range from picture frames with an angling theme to ornate statues of either fish leaping or an angler in some fishy pose. I sometimes marvel at how people have actually managed to track down some of these items in such a short space of time when I had never even known they existed dispite being involved in the sport for decades !

Occasionally someone gets it bang on …I once got a Fox rig wallet before I ever had any sort of rig wallet, pot luck of course. Thankfully I have been spared getting one of those singing billy bass thingies …so far !

So what about you …what sort of angling gifts have you got or expect to receive ?

robtherake

Reaction score
I've had a couple of pretty decent angling-related mugs. I give the (grown-up) kids a "Santa list" based round what they're prepared to spend. This year it's line, line and yet more line...and a new day shelter.

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
I warned my lot off years ago. They know better than to even attempt to surprise me with an angling related gift....much better to ask me first.

I did once get one of those hats with a trout stuck through it which was oddly attractive...and quite comfortable too. I looked like a tit wearing it but I rather think that was the point.

chrissh

Reaction score
2 years ago my daughter brought me a £100 gift voucher from a tackle shop in Essex where she lives. The problem was the tackle shop was 150 mile drive from Lincoln ... bless her!!!

S-Kippy

Reaction score
2 years ago my daughter brought me a £100 gift voucher from a tackle shop in Essex where she lives. The problem was the tackle shop was 150 mile drive from Lincoln ... bless her!!!

Sounds like a thinly disguised plot to get her Old Dad to come visit to me. My daughter would expect me to drive to the tackle shop and buy me own voucher !

terry m

Reaction score
As others have said, the thought of receiving some pointless tut is a no no.

Angling gifts must be cleared with me first!!

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Having once received one of those ridiculous Singing Bass plaques from my (then) wife's family in Mississippi I issued an edict to my family and extended family to PLEASE not give me any angling-related gifts . . . .

To ease the pain I did add that I really had everything I needed or indeed ever would need in the angling department . . . . . noting that a book token is always welcome as then I can get a book that I really WANT.

Whatever happened to that bloody rubber Bass I will never know, (and truly couldn't care less) but hopefully the ex took it with her when she left . . . . . it is not missed . . . neither is the Bass!

Last edited:

mikench

Reaction score
I have given a little list of little things I might like. It includes a pin, A Shimano Dl baitrunner and a Darent Valley rod oh and a pair of PI neoprene boots/wellies.

Better than socks and aftershave and the kids need to start repaying my largess over many years before I an incapable;)

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Having once received one of those ridiculous Singing Bass plaques from my (then) wife's family in Mississippi I issued an edict to my family and extended family to PLEASE not give me any angling-related gifts . . . .

To ease the pain I did add that I really had everything I needed or indeed ever would need in the angling department . . . . . noting that a book token is always welcome as then I can get a book that I really WANT.

Whatever happened to that bloody rubber Bass I will never know, (and truly couldn't care less) but hopefully the ex took it with her when she left . . . . . it is not missed . . . neither is the Bas!

Where did they all go ? At one point you couldn't go in any shop, anywhere without one of those damned things being stuck on the wall. Natural selection I suppose.....meerkats moved in and took over.

chrissh

Reaction score
Sounds like a thinly disguised plot to get her Old Dad to come visit to me. My daughter would expect me to drive to the tackle shop and buy me own voucher !

The best one was this year’s birthday present from her … she come up to stay with us for the weekend her and mum went out for the day shopping all DAY!!! Daughter dear phoned me at 4.30 saying they are on their way back home and she had bought me something nice. When she gets home she gives me the present it a fox tackle coffee mug then says happy birthday dad ……… followed by the crunch YOU OWE ME £10.00. So I bought my own birthday present

rayner

Reaction score
I stopped family buying any angling related gifts years ago. I explained they were wasting money on things I would never use.
I asked them not to buy anything and that if I needed anything new I would buy my own.
I normally end up with a decent amount of Irish and the odd jumper.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Where did they all go ? At one point you couldn't go in any shop, anywhere without one of those damned things being stuck on the wall. Natural selection I suppose.....meerkats moved in and took over.

Room 101 . . . every damned one of them I hope . . . . .

Even in the deep south most Rednecks refuse to have one

:)

theartist

Reaction score
I can see both sides here as I have received many a tacky angling gift which is of no use at all. Now I stick to my parents getting me my BAA ticket each year, the missus is getting me a reel i'm picking out myself but the in-law's will probably get me the 'big mouth billy bass equivalant of' but i'm not gonna mess with the mother in law!

On the flip side I sell many an angling gift this time of year and I really hope any recipient of one of my works doesn't find that it's a let down.

Everyone I know is getting one of my new calendars this year so we'll see how that goes, but it must be really hard for non anglers to get the right present for a serious angler, the face you must pull when you get this year's bigmouth billy bass is :D:):w:w and not :eek::confused::(:mad::eek::eek:

S-Kippy

Reaction score
The best one was this year’s birthday present from her … she come up to stay with us for the weekend her and mum went out for the day shopping all DAY!!! Daughter dear phoned me at 4.30 saying they are on their way back home and she had bought me something nice. When she gets home she gives me the present it a fox tackle coffee mug then says happy birthday dad ……… followed by the crunch YOU OWE ME £10.00. So I bought my own birthday present

Been there many times. I think my daughter might be the Queen. She certainly never carries any cash.

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Come on Skip, don't put yourself down like that, it's not just when you're wearing it!

Yes...I have rather perfected the "tit" look according to Mrs S with or without a hat. As well as a fondness for shiny new rods & reels I confess to having a bit of a thing about hats whereas Mrs S refuses to have anything to do with them....or me when I'm wearing one. Even by my standards "The Impaled Trout" was truly a shocker. She would argue that I have several in the same class but not only is she a woman she is also a JOCK so what does she know about English Gentlemen Angler's hats ?

Said item [ hat not Mrs S] ended up emigrating to Austria but that's another story.

sagalout

Reaction score
Still I guess looking like a tit in your hat is better than the tw4t hat I wear in the summer.

philc

Reaction score
Hi
Received a gilet type top last Xmas from my wife, which at first looked like a naff gift, but is really pretty useful (lots of pockets, warm & weatherproof). Although it is referred to (hopefully) fondly in our house as "Dads Tw4tty Fishing Vest".