Join Date: Dec 2002
Professor Bumblebee's Post Christmas Hangover Quiz
Here is Professor Bumblebee's Quiz for Christmas: post answers as you think fit! Google may not help much...
Answers on New Year's Eve.
1. What is the first fish caught in 'Mr Crabtree Goes Fishing'?
2. Which angling closed season recently changed in the UK?
3. What UK native freshwater creature is now almost certainly only found in two Dorset rivers, the Piddle and Allen?
4. If 6 costs 20p and 12 costs 40p why does 144 cost 60p?
5. What lead has one name in sea fishing and another (wrong) name in freshwater? (both names)
6. What year was nylon fishing line introduced into the UK?
7. There has been a lot of recent publicity surrounding the reintroduction of beavers but which introduced rodent took 20 years to eradicate?
8. Which famous angler once upset Fred J Taylor by 'tidying up' a small willow bush outside Dick Walker's hut?
9. If you stood here then underneath your feet a small stream flows eventually into the English Channel yet the water in front of you connects the North Sea with the Bristol Channel - Where are you standing?
10. Which fish is known as the 'weather fish'?
11. What species of fish was initially turned down as a potential world record because it didn't beat the existing, long standing record by sufficient margin?
12. Who once remarked to Dick Walker, 'I shall be glad when I've had enough of this'?
13. Who contributed a chapter to the book 'Catch a Big Fish' under the name 'Harry Selkirk'?
14. What famous UK angling publication ran from 1900 to 1956?
15. What fish did Keith Arthur 'drop' in 1980 and why was it costly?
16. The same fish holds a club record for both Christchurch Angling Club and Ringwood DAA (caught twice). How is that possible?
17. Which team was the best qualifier in 1971 when the National Championships were divided into two divisions based on the previous 5 year's results.
18. Which fishing family achieved angling fame in the 70s for their swingtipping skills?
19. In the UK there was an acute shortage of fish hooks in 1944, why?
20. Two angling brands disappeared in the credit crunch, both associated with famous anglers - name them.
21. Before 'gut' anglers used horse hair as hook lengths but some anglers went to extremes in fineness. What did they use instead?
22. Ivan Marks fished for Leicester AS but in the CIU National he fished for which team (either will do)?
23. The Shakespeare team ascended the National Championship divisions under what name?
24. The A40 or 'TC' pit became famous during the 1970s and 80s for its specimen tench and bream but where did you obtain your fishing permits?