Threat to the Lodden URGENT!

The bad one

Reaction score
.......dispite the long posts claiming to know it all!!!!!!
If you don't object then you'll never know whether you could have done something or not.
And perhaps you like to tell me where in the post I gave incorrect information then Brummie?
As I've only been dealing with planning departments and development objections for over 20 years!

Nigel it might well be in the LDF, but as you know it depends on what stage the LDF is at in its drawing up.

If someone tells me which council covers this area, I'll have a look to see where it's at in the LDF process or the planning application stage.

preston96

Reaction score
I never said you gave incorrect imformation BA.........i said unless we get something behind ancling as a whole then we have no chance and dispite thinking we know it all it will happen anyway!!

You may well have been involved for 20years but how many developments of this scale have you made one iota of difference too?

We have both been on this planet for 50 odd years, we both know this devel;opment on the Lodden will go ahead.............but maybe, if we learn from it and get behind a national single body that doesn't put more on changing it's bloody name every so often than actually getting on with the job, we may eventually have a chance of making a difference?

Paul Boote

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
The Gresham Club, of which I was once a member for several years, is located on the upper Loddon and is pretty well exclusively trout water fished by a comparatively few, now high-paying people. However, if the proposed housing development were to go ahead, the entire river would be affected. I can remember how, in the early to mid 1980s when I was fishing the Gresham waters, the Club's then Chairman, Bertram Hoare, a wonderful man (and his little committee) fought a ceaseless battle against a sewage works whose outflow (coming out of new Basingstoke) repeatedly polluted the upper section of the Club's waters on the Loddon and killed all its trout. It was interesting to note (I still have some very nice colour slides of the river back then) how the river above the sewage outflow was a different river entirely - fast, bright gravelled, well weeded, full of wild brown trout. Below the outflow, it was a far more sluggish, silted and murky affair. I also well remember Bertram, a very good friend of mine (we first bumped into each other in unlikely Nepal in 1980 and immediately hit it off despite a near-55-year age-difference), saying to me many times something to the effect that "This can't last, Paul. My family [the Hoare's banking family] lost one of our Estates to the Basingstoke development, and they'll come for our river next..."

Bertram was right.

The bad one

Reaction score
I never said you gave incorrect imformation BA.........i said unless we get something behind ancling as a whole then we have no chance and dispite thinking we know it all it will happen anyway!!

At no point have I said, "I know it all," because I don't, nor does anyone else for that matter! That's your interpretation of what I've wrote.

You may well have been involved for 20years but how many developments of this scale have you made one iota of difference too?

4. As part of an objection campaign team, losing 2 and winning 2 and many tens of smaller one with about the same hit rate.

We have both been on this planet for 50 odd years, we both know this devel;opment on the Lodden will go ahead.............but maybe, if we learn from it and get behind a national single body that doesn't put more on changing it's bloody name every so often than actually getting on with the job, we may eventually have a chance of making a difference?

Disagree with the first part, but agree in principle with the rest.

And will someone tell me which council it falls under please!!!!!!!

Last edited:

Sean Meeghan

Reaction score
Fred and Paul - you're wrong on this. This isn't a fishing led campaign, it's a campaign led by locals who care about the area in which they live. This thread was started becaus one of the SOLVE team sent an email to the Gresham club requesting support. A good friend of mine is in the Gresham club and circulated the email in an attempt to get more signatures. Hence my post.

Whilst I agree that angling will be stronger with a well organised central body looking after its interests this petition isn't about that. This is an opportunity to show non-anglers that we care enough to get involved and fight with them. It's not about trout, it's not about double figure barbel, it's about caring for a beautiful piece of the environment that is already under enough stress without this additional burden.

Squabbling about the AT and who has or hasn't got bigger balls only serves to distract from a worthwhile initiative and will probably put people off voting.

Rant over :eek:

---------- Post added at 13:41 ---------- Previous post was at 13:38 ----------

Phil the council is Basingstoke and Deane.

And thank you Paul Boote for your input.

Sean Meeghan

Reaction score
Always the same Fred - only a very small percentage ever vote. SOLVE particularly wanted anglers to sign because they didn't want to be seen as NIMBYs

The bad one

Reaction score
Fred and Paul - you're wrong on this. This isn't a fishing led campaign, it's a campaign led by locals who care about the area in which they live. This thread was started becaus one of the SOLVE team sent an email to the Gresham club requesting support. A good friend of mine is in the Gresham club and circulated the email in an attempt to get more signatures. Hence my post.

Whilst I agree that angling will be stronger with a well organised central body looking after its interests this petition isn't about that. This is an opportunity to show non-anglers that we care enough to get involved and fight with them. It's not about trout, it's not about double figure barbel, it's about caring for a beautiful piece of the environment that is already under enough stress without this additional burden.

Squabbling about the AT and who has or hasn't got bigger balls only serves to distract from a worthwhile initiative and will probably put people off voting.

Thanks Sean!
I can do what I offered to do now ;)

preston96

Reaction score

Sean, no one is squabbling about whos got the biggest balls..........i agree fully that rivers need protecting and this campaign is a worthwhile as any other, but development is already in ful swing on the Lodden and you and i both know it WILL continue.

I personally think that some petitions can actually be detrimental to a cause, can you imagine those who want to carry on the develepment not pointing out that the vast majority of those signing it have never even seen the Lodden?

No i wasn't seeing who has the biggest balls.....just pointing out that this development will carry on and that we as lovers of rivers and all their surroundings need to get real.

We also need to get on to a level that is capable of standing alongside other representive bodies such as the twitchers etc....THEN we may together have the clout to make a difference!!

Good luck with the petition, i hope many sign it..........and i hope it does good.

Last edited:
A

alan whittington

Signed Sean,i havnt had a pull on the singles site(dont tell the missus,lol).:D:D:D