Pendulum Cast

C

Colin North, the one and only

I make you right Ron, its all about enjoying fishing rather than putting yourself through the wringer co's the person next to you might be casting further than you. Its happened to me at Dungie, when I've fished next to a real casting expert who probably cast at least half as much again as anyone else on the beach, and he was catching more fish, but they were only the same sized Dabs that everyone else was catching and releasing. I admired the man's ability, but I didn't let it spoil my day.

D

Dave Rothery

all the distance casters forget about the gutter at the bottom of the beach...the fish are where the food is!

R

Ron Troversial Clay

Absolutey right Dave.

I have never been what can be called a salt water expert. However I have fished with a few in my life who could be considered so. A relation of my late wife -James Lang, used to use what is called a Scarborough centre pin reel from the rocks and gullies along the Natal coast. He always caught lots of fish. He even landed a 400 lb Great White from the beach near Umthlanga rocks many years ago using a rod made from East India Cane and a 12 inch wooden Scarborough Reel and 50 lb line.

He only cast about 30 yards.

Such fishing is not for old men like me.

One day I will have a holiday off the West coast of Ireland where they tell me you can catch nice bass off the beach or rocks using lures and spoons.

Now I would love to do a bit of that.

I like sea fishing. The cherry on the top of course is being able to take home a nice fresh fish to eat.

Lovely.

D

Dave Rothery

or fly fishing for bass by wading up to your chest in the surf....

B

Budgie Burgess

Of course there is a lot more to catching fish than being able to cast a long way.No one is sugesting otherwise.LDC is merely a tool.I will however say that it is a lot easier to knock LDC than to learn to be able to do it! My view has always been if the fish are feeding at 75m and you can cast 150m then you can always cast to them but if they are feeding at 150m and you can only cast 75 then you are stuffed!

J

jason fisher

in reply to your comment about fixed spools ron,
i've got 2 beach casters one is fixed spool the other multiplier.
for pure distance the multiplier always wins and you don't get the problem of feeling like you are going to lose the end of your finger like you do with the fixed spool.
i agree with budgie, long casts are a tool used to get you to the fish if you need to be there, hence 2 rods one long one short till i find them.

D

Dave O'L

I'm of the understanding that a fixed spool is better in a serious headwind, I certainly felt it was. What do you reckon Budgie?

With a fixed spool I hold the line against the rod continuing the direction of the spool (does that make sense?). I allow the spool to take the pressure of rod & lead & touching wood have not felt the need for a finger thingmagig doing it that way.

B

Budgie Burgess

Fixed spool is certainly easier to control in a head wind.With both types of reels though it pays to keep the cast lower and try to cast "under" the wind.The reason I got a backcasting rod and learnt to use it was to be able to still cast out a good distance and hold out in bad (or should I say rough)conditions.200m with out bait in ideal conditions over grass means that when fishing you will still be able to put a big bait out against the strongest of head winds a comfortable 100+.Big seas are a prime example of when you need the ability to put a bait out a bit away from the uncomfortable conditions for the fish to where they are lying comfortably waiting for the food to be dislodged and delivered to them.I used to be very much into the sea match scene and at a lot of venues around my way the ability to cast a long way (if required) caught a lot of fish whilst others struggled.