Redmire finished?

B

binka

I’ve never been an all out carp fisherman, I have the odd session now and again but they’re probably the species I will deliberately target the least and I have to admit that all this reminiscence about Redmire has brought back some very fond memories from my early days of fishing and the stories which stemmed from it.

My only 'walk round' of Redmire will live with me forever. Standing on the dam wall was magical, and yes, I am a romantic !!

I’ve never visited the place but would dearly like to, not so much as to fish it as to have a wander around and let my imagination drift back to those halcyon days when the world and fishing in general was a very different place, whilst quietly taking in the atmosphere.

You really do walk in the footprints of some of the greats as revealed by some of the swim names like, Quinlan's, Ingham's, Pitchford's and Climo's as well as some of the featured swims like Willow, Stile and Fence and the now gone Greenbanks and the infamous ghostly Evening Pitch . . . . . . . .

This was Chris Yates' map of the Pool:

http://www.fishingmagic.com/forums/...s-redmire-pool-picture3908-redmire-swims.html

Magical!

Does anyone know if such arrangements can still be made for a walk around?

Maybe a small group for an FM "visit in" would be good with a pint of the local brew afterwards just to make a day of it?

Last edited:

Hugh Bailey

Reaction score
I am no carp angler, but as a boy, I read Quest for Carp by Jack Hilton cover to cover loads of times. Since then I've also read a lot of Chris Yates stuff & would love to visit Redmire, just to walk around and maybe take a few pictures.

Is it open for visits - who owns it now?

B

binka

I am no carp angler, but as a boy, I read Quest for Carp by Jack Hilton cover to cover loads of times. Since then I've also read a lot of Chris Yates stuff & would love to visit Redmire, just to walk around and maybe take a few pictures.

Is it open for visits - who owns it now?

This is their official website Hugh, there's mention of booking to fish (open to anyone) but nothing about visiting for a wander around, I might drop them a line to enquire.

http://www.redmirepool.biz/

Clearly some people did although this clip was nearly twenty years ago...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uUrxmFUhqRk

Hugh Bailey

Reaction score
Binka - Many thanks for that.

I didn't know it was possible to fish, although I think maybe the magic is no longer there.

I've never fished overnight - I Might do my first one at Redmire!

cg74

Reaction score
Taken from the Redmire Pool website:

Rule 11. No guests, no visitors and no pets allowed on the estate, only anglers in possession of a confirmation note and the owners of the estate have permission to be on the pool.

I understand why folk would want to go there, soak up the atmosphere etc but I'd opt for a day on the Wye if in that area...

Hugh Bailey

Reaction score
I read that, but, taking into account what goes on at general public carp waters, this is probably not that unusual.

It's not Jack Hilton & Bill Quinlan, but maybe, with not any people there (in the winter), it might be worth a go, just to "be there".

I'm starting to think it might be something I would do.

stickfloat100

Reaction score
Go and have a look but leave your polaroids in the car, you won't be needing them. My suggestion would be don't shatter your dreams because if you go there right now you will.

Even the pompous "traditionalist" lot such as Sweetcorn Kid and Fennel's Priory are at it glorifying Redmire in the AT when it's undoubtedly in the worst condition it's ever been in. It's pretty sad really, even the holier than thou traditionalists will chase fame at all costs.

The bad one

Reaction score
Go and have a look but leave your polaroids in the car, you won't be needing them. My suggestion would be don't shatter your dreams because if you go there right now you will.

Even the pompous "traditionalist" lot such as Sweetcorn Kid and Fennel's Priory are at it glorifying Redmire in the AT when it's undoubtedly in the worst condition it's ever been in. It's pretty sad really, even the holier than thou traditionalists will chase fame at all costs.

So you keep saying but haven't explained why it is in your view. You just seem to want to slag off everybody and everything but offer no explanation why?

russell_bush

Reaction score

I'm glad that it's not just me who finds Fennel and his hangers-on pompous, Stickfloat ! Jeez !

sam vimes

Reaction score

I'm glad that it's not just me who finds Fennel and his hangers-on pompous, Stickfloat ! Jeez !

Any chance of explaining what on earth you're on about, or is it just for those that already know? I guess that these are forum usernames somewhere else? However, without an explanation and/or a link, posts like this are just baffling, and quite pointless, to those not in the know.

sam vimes

Reaction score
Sam

They are brothers of the angle that frequent The Traditional Fisherman's Forum.

Thanks, Corky.
So this thread is effectively an inter-forum thing. Shame that half of the information required to make any real sense of it has been omitted from here. Any danger of a link to the relevant thread? I'll be damned if I'm registering on there to find it myself. Besides, I suspect that they'll have barred me without me even registering before!:wh;):D

Reaction score
Ron was banned. Not sure why ultimately, but I recall he started slagging off centre pins and pushing the benefits of his far superior Daiwa TDRs (on a traditional fisherman a forum!)

I don't know about a thread on TTFF Sam, I just recognised the names. I haven't been on there for a long time.

greenie62

Reaction score
I suspect that they'll have barred me without me even registering before!
Sam,
I guess your reputation must precede you! ;):D - Don't worry - you're not missing owt - Oops! That's me banned too! ;):rolleyes::eek:mg:
Tight lines!:thumbs:

barbelboi

Reaction score
Thanks, Corky.
So this thread is effectively an inter-forum thing. Shame that half of the information required to make any real sense of it has been omitted from here. Any danger of a link to the relevant thread? I'll be damned if I'm registering on there to find it myself. Besides, I suspect that they'll have barred me without me even registering before!:wh;):D

The relevant thread was locked, then removed, after a few posts on TFF Sam - it was also the OP's first post (he made another couple then it was locked)

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Sam,

The Sweetcorn kid is the chap who runs the Traditionalfishermans forum site, He is an excellent angler who enjoys everything about angling and particularly all things split cane and centrepin.

I like the site personally:

http://www.traditionalfisherman.com/search.php?search_id=active_topics

Fennel's Priory can be found here and to my mind is an excellent site:

About Fennel's Journal

As far as I am concerned fishing a venue such as Redmire Poll (or Bernithan Court Farm Pool) is not so much about catching Carp, or even Gudgeon as much as simply being there.

Apparently that is something that the likes of the OP doesn't appear to understand . . . . . .

Last edited:

greenie62

Reaction score
As far as I am concerned fishing a venue such as Redmire Poll (or Bernithan Court Farm Pool) is not so much about catching Carp, or even Gudgeon as much as simply being there.

Apparently that is something that the likes of the OP doesn't appear to understand . . . . . .
On the other hand - it may be something he understands all too well - particularly if is associated with a rival 'commercial' operation!
I note he doesn't declare any interest as such - but it would be a motive for such persistent sniping!

sam vimes

Reaction score
Sam,
I guess your reputation must precede you! ;):D - Don't worry - you're not missing owt - Oops! That's me banned too! ;):rolleyes::eek:mg:
Tight lines!:thumbs:

Yeah, despite my centrepin use, I don't think I'm ever going to qualify as a traditionalist.;):D

The relevant thread was locked, then removed, after a few posts on TFF Sam - it was also the OP's first post (he made another couple then it was locked)

Excellent, oblique references to something that isn't even there to read any more.

Sam,

The Sweetcorn kid is the chap who runs the Traditionalfishermans forum site, He is an excellent angler who enjoys everything about angling and particularly all things split cane and centrepin.

I like the site personally:

The Traditional Fisherman's Forum • Information

Fennel's Priory can be found here and to my mind is an excellent site:

About Fennel's Journal

Thanks for the links. Hardly my thing, but at least the references aren't a complete mystery any longer.