Go Back   FishingMagic Forums > FRESHWATER FISHING FORUMS > Match Fishing
Register Forums Blogs Classifieds FAQ Calendar Arcade Search Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-05-2013, 20:58

dalesman is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Time for a new pole

Quote:
Originally Posted by chefster View Post
Just out of interest was you,re budget 1-2k or 1/2 k? I have 14 top kit for my 2 maver poles all with Daiwa hydro and side pullers,Hydro is very expensive initially but lasts ten times longer than all other elastics,but opinions vary greatly
£500 for starters
Old 11-05-2013, 20:59
Banned

jacksharp is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalesman View Post
So got idea of what to go for, but what elastic should I use hollow or solid.

Watched the lads on Fishamania today on the Oaks and most had pulla rigs, worth investing in???.
Can you clear up the confusion on your 1/2k - is it £500 or 1 to 2 grand?

I have puller bungs in my top kits and they came in really useful on Wednesday when I hooked a 10lb lump on white Hydro and had to shorten my elastic a lot to get it in the net.

As I previously said, Maver are doing deals where they will give you extra easy-flow (side-puller) top kits if you buy one of their named poles for £499+ before the end of July. Prominent adverts for the deal in Angling Times.

Edit: Crossed post again! Check out the Maver Redemption deal (£499) for good spares and side-pullers. I use Daiwa Hydrolastic, hollow, liquid filled. Best elastic around (IMHO).

Last edited by jacksharp; 11-05-2013 at 21:04.
Old 11-05-2013, 21:08

dalesman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksharp View Post
Can you clear up the confusion on your 1/2k - is it £500 or 1 to 2 grand?

I have puller bungs in my top kits and they came in really useful on Wednesday when I hooked a 10lb lump on white Hydro and had to shorten my elastic a lot to get it in the net.

As I previously said, Maver are doing deals where they will give you extra easy-flow (side-puller) top kits if you buy one of their named poles for £499+ before the end of July. Prominent adverts for the deal in Angling Times.

Edit: Crossed post again! Check out the Maver Redemption deal (£499) for good spares and side-pullers. I use Daiwa Hydrolastic, hollow, liquid filled. Best elastic around (IMHO).
Jack.

Budget started at £500
Old 11-05-2013, 21:14
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalesman View Post
£500 for starters

Suggest you start scouring the web. This site gives a good overview of poles and prices you can expect to pay.

Compare All Pole Reviews, Specifications, Features and Prices | Pole Compare

Last edited by jacksharp; 12-05-2013 at 06:43.
Old 12-05-2013, 05:39

chefster is on a distinguished road

Hollow elastics have more stretch than solids,solids tend to be better for snag fishing or near features,hollows allow you to fish lighter.You can use puller bungs or side pullers with either.Also with pullers it means you can land fish on top kits rather than on top4,s and 5,s,which is when you can break you,re pole.Go and ask some of the top boys at Oaks(after the match) and find out some varied opinions.My personal preference is hydro,because its sizes are multi tasking and it lasts for so long...Cheers Gaz
Old 12-05-2013, 06:58
Banned

Quote:
Just out of interest was you,re budget 1-2k or 1/2 k? I have 14 top kit for my 2 maver poles all with Daiwa hydro and side pullers,Hydro is very expensive initially but lasts ten times longer than all other elastics,but opinions vary greatly
Jeez chef, that's some outlay! I found a seller on eBay with 100% positive feedback who does Hydro for £12.55 and free postage.

I am currently looking for a new one with a budget of £500 and will probably go for Maver Medusa XS 13m from NWAC. Deal includes match kit, 3 power kits with easy-flow pullers, bungs, beads, cupping kit, short extension and spare no4 section. Apparently they bought up the whole consignment of poles meant for the continent (13m length limit in matches there?)

The only other one I considered was a Daiwa SR2 but the kit offer on the Maver is much better.
Old 12-05-2013, 16:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksharp View Post
Jeez chef, that's some outlay! I found a seller on eBay with 100% positive feedback who does Hydro for £12.55 and free postage.

I am currently looking for a new one with a budget of £500 and will probably go for Maver Medusa XS 13m from NWAC. Deal includes match kit, 3 power kits with easy-flow pullers, bungs, beads, cupping kit, short extension and spare no4 section. Apparently they bought up the whole consignment of poles meant for the continent (13m length limit in matches there?)

The only other one I considered was a Daiwa SR2 but the kit offer on the Maver is much better.
It is initially a big outlay,but when you,re spending a lot of money on a pole,you,ve got to feel confident in you,re elastic,i,ve used every elastic on the market and always come back to hydro.The pink is the best winter elastic i,ve ever used,you know about the white,which for me is the most used,the grey is great for up in the water fishing,the black stops most "normal"size fish in their tracks,and the red is "whopper-stopper".I do use solids in my margin pole,which are Middy-22-24,18-20,16-18.Hydro lasts for at least a season,sometimes longer,against normal hollows ,of probably a couple of months tops!That pole sounds like a good deal that you,re getting,let us know how you get on!!...Havin said all that about hydro-a lot of the top boys all swear by solids,and its cost effective,so opinions do vary a lot....cheers Gaz
Old 12-05-2013, 16:41
Banned

Quote:
It is initially a big outlay,but when you,re spending a lot of money on a pole,you,ve got to feel confident in you,re elastic,i,ve used every elastic on the market and always come back to hydro.The pink is the best winter elastic i,ve ever used,you know about the white,which for me is the most used,the grey is great for up in the water fishing,the black stops most "normal"size fish in their tracks,and the red is "whopper-stopper".I do use solids in my margin pole,which are Middy-22-24,18-20,16-18.Hydro lasts for at least a season,sometimes longer,against normal hollows ,of probably a couple of months tops!That pole sounds like a good deal that you,re getting,let us know how you get on!!...Havin said all that about hydro-a lot of the top boys all swear by solids,and its cost effective,so opinions do vary a lot....cheers Gaz
White will be my first choice with grey as a backup in case of lumps appearing. If you want the ID of the eBay guy who does the Hydro at £12.55 it's tackle-1.
Old 15-05-2013, 07:18
Banned

New pole purchased. Maver Medusa SX 13m with the aforementioned short extension, cupping kit, match top 3, 3 power top 2's with ceramic easy-flow side-puller slots, spare No 4, protective tubes, a good holdall and a couple of 90 minute DVDs.

Very good weight for 13m (around 880g) and VERY stiff - £499

The original Medusa was 16m, the present one (XM) is 14.5m and this SX was a consignment made for the continent where the pole limit in matches is 13m.

North West Angling Centre in Hindley, Wigan have bought the whole consignment so they won't last forever.

I've been researching a new pole for a while now and the kit spec is better than any other £500 pole on the market. The spare No. 4 section is a great idea.

I was hoping to get out with it today but Hurricane Bo11ocks has put paid to that!
Old 15-05-2013, 18:14

Nice one Jack!bet you cant wait to use it-My back-up pole is the medusa XM,14.5m,and one of the butt sections off my 401 fits up it to take it to 16m,i,ve been using it a lot lately,with the wind so bad and i love it ,its a good strong pole and great with the puller kits!! Good luck,get out and use it!!