All round poles for rivers

riverrovingross

Reaction score
I'm after a pole for use mainly on the rivers I've been told a 13-14.5m is plenty big enough but I don't really want to spend a great deal, £500 maximum. I want it for all species really from dace to chub even the odd barbel if the time arose for it, but I DO NOT WANT A CARP POLE!!! As they are my least favourite species and I won't fish commercials, but I will be using it on odd lakes.
Any advice appreciated
:)

sam vimes

Reaction score
Whilst you might not want a carp pole, dealing with barbel and decent chub in flowing water might require one with the capabilities of a carp pole. I'd suggest you disregard the labelling and look to one that will handle up to a twenty (or so) elastic. You might not need a real bungee (20+) broomstick, but I suspect something more akin to an old style match pole (no more than a 14 elastic rating) is likely to leave you wanting. Just because a pole has a 20+ rating doesn't mean that you can't put lighter elastics in it.

riverrovingross

Reaction score
I mainly want it oft dace roach bream perch and chub but there is always a slim chance of hooking a barbel so what's an ideal type I need to be looking at? Is there a way to distinguish a pole that is suited for rivers

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
The old Browning Black Magic pole was ideal for river sighing, either as a long pole short line or a line to hand pole as well.

Personally I don't think any manufacturer ever topped that lovely old Browning.

I have a Preston CRX 500 that comes pretty close though . . . . . . . .

sam vimes

Reaction score
I don't recall ever seeing a river specific pole, there's not really a market for it in the UK. Many of the poles with carp somewhere in the name (they stick carp on almost anything, it sells) or description will be fine. Just ignore the stuff designed for elastics well in excess of 20, and you'll have an all-rounder. A £500 pole is going to come with more than one top-kit. You don't have to put the maximum rated elastics in them all.

With half an eye on your location, I'd also suggest that you give serious thought to the river venues you are intending on using the pole. Poles are fine on the slower, deeper and more turbid sections of lower rivers. On faster, shallower and clearer upper reaches, they can be all but useless. Putting a pole over a fishes head in clear water can be the kiss of death. In the dim and distant past, I have used a pole on the Lower Tees, Nene and Middle/Tidal Trent. I wouldn't even bother on my more local clear, shallow rivers.

Last edited:
C

chefster

In Italy they market a version of the Elite Carp as a river pole,its light ,strong,rigid,i use one as a back-up in severe weather,or bagging,you can pick them up now for 400-£500,i reckon that would suit you,re needs,Gaz

dorsetandchub

Reaction score
The old Browning Black Magic pole was ideal for river sighing, either as a long pole short line or a line to hand pole as well.

Personally I don't think any manufacturer ever topped that lovely old Browning.

I have a Preston CRX 500 that comes pretty close though . . . . . . . .

Peter,

Just wondering what "river sighing" is? Is it what I've been unconsciously doing for decades every time I lose a chub?? :D

Phil.

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
The price structuring of pole manufacturers are all similar.
Look at any of them and they will have a pole in your price category.
Look for a model that has match top 2's 3's included in the package, usually you get power kits too, try to do a deal where you get more match kits instead..
You say you want it for mainly silvers but may hook a barbel.
We all have that dilemma pole or rod. With a pole it is the elastic that does most of the work. If you go heavy on the elastic you will bump smaller fish off. Alternatively with a low diameter elastic for silvers the barbel will bottom it out and your hook will pull out or the line may break.
But not always....

paulk66

Reaction score
You will not go wrong with one of the map 01 series. Strong and stiff and you can choose your top kit package to suit your needs. Also they come pre-bushed so no cutting back.:)

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Peter,

Just wondering what "river sighing" is? Is it what I've been unconsciously doing for decades every time I lose a chub??

Phil.

That's the darned predictive text thing acting up again, as it was meant to be "fishing" . . . . . . .

Actually it was predictive text that was responsible for all those riots in London a few years back, all I sent was,

"Anyone fancy a pint in London tonight?"

. . . . and look what happened . . . .

"Anyone fancy a riot in London tonight?"

Last edited: