matches

dalesman

Reaction score
Going to give it a go again, not fished a match for about 15 years and been thinking about rods and treating my self to a short 10'-11' commercial float rod. But which one.

Whats the difference between a waggler rod and a pellet rod and which one better for general float fishing on still waters.

Looking for a mid priced one

sam vimes

Reaction score
A standard waggler rod is likely to be 12'+ and have a tip to mid action. A pellet waggler rod is likely to be no more than 12', usually shorter and have a through action. Some pellet waggler rods are quite brutish, others are relatively delicate. Much depends on the manufacturer concerned. You've seen and tried my 9-11' pellet waggler rod, it's not the brute folks might expect when seeing "Commercial" in the name of the rod.

dalesman

Reaction score
A standard waggler rod is likely to be 12'+ and have a tip to mid action. A pellet waggler rod is likely to be no more than 12', usually shorter and have a through action. Some pellet waggler rods are quite brutish, others are relatively delicate. Much depends on the manufacturer concerned. You've seen and tried my 9-11' pellet waggler rod, it's not the brute folks might expect when seeing "Commercial" in the name of the rod.

Sam I was thinking more about the difference between a shorter commercial waggler and pellet waggler rods.

As both rods are out there in the market place

Last edited:

sam vimes

Reaction score
Sam I was thinking more about the difference between a shorter commercial waggler and pellet waggler rods.

As both rods are out there in the market place

Indeed, but as there isn't anything definitive in either term, it's all a bit vague and varies from manufacturer to manufacturer. There isn't necessarily any difference between a commercial waggler rod and a pellet waggler rod. My Speedmaster rod, that you've had a go with, is a case in point. It is a 9-11' Pellet Waggler and was part of the Shimano Commercial range. It has both "Commercial" and "Pellet Waggler" printed on it. However, it is nowhere near as brutal as either name might suggest. The names manufacturers use don't necessarily give a good indication as to the action a rod might have.

dalesman

Reaction score
Indeed, but as there isn't anything definitive in either term, it's all a bit vague and varies from manufacturer to manufacturer. There isn't necessarily any difference between a commercial waggler rod and a pellet waggler rod. My Speedmaster rod, that you've had a go with, is a case in point. It is a 9-11' Pellet Waggler and was part of the Shimano Commercial range. It has both "Commercial" and "Pellet Waggler" printed on it. However, it is nowhere near as brutal as either name might suggest. The names manufacturers use don't necessarily give a good indication as to the action a rod might have.

Thanks for clearing that up, found a Beastmaster BX 9'/11' new for £80.

Due to my injury Sam the river is becoming more of a problem for me with the big banks. Often on the Richmond stretch as the banks aren't so bad, plus seeking out more the local still waters not all commercial.

arthur2sheds

Reaction score
Shimano do a series of 10'/11' rods in the "Forcemaster" range they have pellet wagglers and feeders that are ... well bloody excellent actually, for the money you can't go wrong.... or if you are not a fan of Shimano gear, then Drennan do an excellent "Red Range" of commercial rods for feeder and Waggler applications.... the Shimano's are about £35-£40 whilst the Drennan's are about £45-£50

Last edited: