River Trent around BurtonHi

stripey

Reaction score
Hi Guys, not fished the trent for 4 yrs, need to know what bait i need and in what quantities any advice would be greatfully received,

tincatim

Reaction score
I've never fished the Trent so can't help specifically. Maybe if you told us what you're fishing for and on what methods we could help?

B

binka

I'm not very familiar with the upper Trent but I would go with a couple of pints and feed every chuck to average them out over five or six hours for the initial session, you'll then be able to gauge for following sessions whether you need to up it.

Whilst the river is low look for swims with a good flow or cover, even better both.

Don't be afraid to experiment with your shotting, eg use no.6's instead of no.4's for a slower drop or a bulk close to the hook with a single dropper if you need to peg it down in a faster swim and experiment with running it at 'em full pace or drag it through just on the bottom.

Eventually you will find the right combination and you should have some fun along the way :)

stripey

Reaction score
Hi Binka,
Thanks for that, seems very sensible,will probably take more than a couple of pints though,possibly 3 pints of maggots [bronze] and a couple of pints of casters and seehow it goes.

kenpm

Reaction score
The Trent is full of "bits" so three pints of maggot or caster plus the same of hemp will get you double figure weights in lots of pegs in that area but the first flush of rain water always releases loads of silkweed from further up the river which makes float fishing difficult at times but the river badly needs some fresh water and colour to fish well.
Hemp and Tares can be another option but you need confidence in the method to make it work properly.

stripey

Reaction score
Thanks Kenpm,
Sounds like you know the river, will take on board your suggestions.

GT56

Reaction score
Hi Stripey,

Ted and Andy at Burton Angling near the Town Hall will be able to advise but whereabouts are you thinking of fishing?

stripey

Reaction score
Hi gt56,
Cheers mate, will call in at the tackle shop, if i remember correctly its next to Burton Mutuals Headquarters ?, i will be fishing Swads old stretch,