Am i the only 1 aghhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!

zombie13

Reaction score
Just cant for the life of me get comfy whilst fishing the pole!!!

I know how to hold the pole across my kness etc but suffer with my back a tad and the twisted position just aggravates it...

Soooo I try a seat box with a footplate with spray bar and find my feet and knees cramped up with the limited space to place feet etc...

Sooo buy a wider footplate still annoys me!!!

Sooo tried a penrose style pole support and tried ditching the footplate and the pole just sags on the support!!!

Forever adding all the attachments on and then get fed up as if I could just sit comfy without all the add on junkit would take me seconds to set up wouldn't need a trolley etc etc...

Aghhhhhhhhh Zombie13:mad:

Any suggestions????

lol and don't just say ditch the pole!!!

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
Depending on the bank I'm fishing I always spend 10mins adjusting the legs on my box to make sure a. I'm not leaning left/ right back or forwards.and My seat is dead level and I'm sitting up straight.
b.My footplate is set so my knees are at 45ish degrees when seated.
c. Pole supports make it worse IMO.
d. Make sure your roller(s) are correctly placed so you don't need to alter position when shipping back and forth....

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
Sorry, I meant 90degrees. After reading the article I thought the idea of having the back legs of the box set half an inch higher sounded odd. So I went to my garage and set up the legs as suggested. I was surprised that felt ok and I'll try it on the bank next time out....

robertroach

Reaction score
I use a pole very occasionally and have never got around to buying a seat box.
Partly because I don't want to spend the money on something I won't use very much and partly because I am actually really comfortable on my carp chair. It's got long legs and no arm rests and support for my dodgy back so I find it pretty much perfect for the little pole fishing I do.

rayner

Reaction score
A mate I occasionally fish with has a similar back problem he uses a clever claw that holds the pole across your knee, made by real ideas.

watsi1201

Reaction score
Hi mate ,
In short no you're not my back drives me insane holding poles sitting on box etc I'm very fortunate I have just got one of the Preston boxes and a seat to go on it have a look they do one with the seat attached Preston series 5 2d other companies make similar aswell but and its a big but if your sat with a pole and bad back then having one and a spray bar is worth it's weight in gold as you are sat properly and supported . If you have a older box try a "puppies" bar they reach further out off your box therefore taking some of they weight I used one it was great and you can pick them up for £10-£20 . Failing all this if your box is solid enough while your on it have you tried up and over pole rests then you are not holding the pole , not the same reaction time but I'm sure it would help . Thanks Andy .

Chefster

Reaction score
As has already been said ,you must take your time getting everything level,and get comfortable,most modern seatboxes have leg levelling systems and spirit levels built in,theres no need to rush to get your box and rollers all level,take a bit longer to get it right,and it will make life a lot more bearable for the 5 hours you are sat there..fish with the pole along the length of your thigh,and pinned under your elbow,that way you are spreading the weight,and remaining sitting straight and upright...fishing long(14.5-17.5m),takes its toll on everyones back ,believe me,basically it comes down to practice and patience to get right...then once you,ve mastered that,you can start practicing feeding,whilst holding the pole as well:D:DGazza

watsi1201

Reaction score
As has already been said ,you must take your time getting everything level,and get comfortable,most modern seatboxes have leg levelling systems and spirit levels built in,theres no need to rush to get your box and rollers all level,take a bit longer to get it right,and it will make life a lot more bearable for the 5 hours you are sat there..fish with the pole along the length of your thigh,and pinned under your elbow,that way you are spreading the weight,and remaining sitting straight and upright...fishing long(14.5-17.5m),takes its toll on everyones back ,believe me,basically it comes down to practice and patience to get right...then once you,ve mastered that,you can start practicing feeding,whilst holding the pole as well:D:DGazza

Could not agree More REALLY !!!!! Go mess around get it levels the new boxes do have levels on the . And then practice feeding everything in fishing depends on you being comfy , if your not comfy then your unhappy not concentrating not feeding right concentrating on bites etc ! . Level out your box add side trays etc make sure it's all to hand pole sock if your box will take one there only £5 or so but can save a fortune in broken poles . Then a tip is use a cad pot to feed exact at first but when you are going too pack up spend half hour extra sat there firing out maggots pellets etc while holding your pole to get it right so this a few times until you feel confident you will soon get the hang of it . Good luck all ...... Andy

rayner

Reaction score
If you need to practice using your catapult start indoors, hold a couple of sections of your pole and use your pult with no bait just to get the action/timing. It's really not difficult and will improve your results.

Chefster

Reaction score
If you need to practice using your catapult start indoors, hold a couple of sections of your pole and use your pult with no bait just to get the action/timing. It's really not difficult and will improve your results.
Not the same as holding a long pole,with the wind blowing,a couple of sections weigh next to nothing...and you wont know if your pulling the catty far enough,or pushing it forward enough,depending on technique...

rayner

Reaction score
Not the same as holding a long pole,with the wind blowing,a couple of sections weigh next to nothing...and you wont know if your pulling the catty far enough,or pushing it forward enough,depending on technique...

I agree it's not the same as holding a long pole.
It is however in my opinion good to practice the technique of firing a catapult whilst holding a pole. We all know practice makes things easier , practice has to start from the basics in my book.
It's the same as practicing casting a feeder/bomb in your back garden to get proficient at that. I believe it's better not to practice whilst fishing and ruining your swim by bad practice. Get the basics first would be a good move.
To some folk it comes easy, I need repartition to be confident I can hit the spot. Feeder or bomb works better with accuracy as you know, the same way that pole fishing with a pult works better at times.

Chefster

Reaction score
I agree it's not the same as holding a long pole.
It is however in my opinion good to practice the technique of firing a catapult whilst holding a pole. We all know practice makes things easier , practice has to start from the basics in my book.
It's the same as practicing casting a feeder/bomb in your back garden to get proficient at that. I believe it's better not to practice whilst fishing and ruining your swim by bad practice. Get the basics first would be a good move.
To some folk it comes easy, I need repartition to be confident I can hit the spot. Feeder or bomb works better with accuracy as you know, the same way that pole fishing with a pult works better at times.
Yes ,but when you,re casting into a bucket,etc in the back garden,you,re actually doing it how you would be on the bank,when youre sitting indoors holding a butt section of pole,pulling a catty back,not the same;)

snooozer

Reaction score
Just cant for the life of me get comfy whilst fishing the pole!!!

I know how to hold the pole across my kness etc but suffer with my back a tad and the twisted position just aggravates it...

Soooo I try a seat box with a footplate with spray bar and find my feet and knees cramped up with the limited space to place feet etc...

Sooo buy a wider footplate still annoys me!!!

Sooo tried a penrose style pole support and tried ditching the footplate and the pole just sags on the support!!!

Forever adding all the attachments on and then get fed up as if I could just sit comfy without all the add on junkit would take me seconds to set up wouldn't need a trolley etc etc...

Aghhhhhhhhh Zombie13:mad:

Any suggestions????

lol and don't just say ditch the pole!!!

Thank you very much :D I always wondered why i never bother buying a pole and instead opted for the persuit of Huge Carp, Now i know :eek:mg: