Last match of the season for me...

fishplate42

Reaction score
...and it started with a row over the draw. It is the arguing and bickering that put me off match fishing initially. I didn't expect it at a 'friendly' open match. Oh well, that's the way it went on Wednesday. The full story can be found HERE.

It was one of those days where everything went wrong, no fish (well not many!) my bait and gear got wet and my arm was giving me jip!

I love fishing - honest!

Ralph :eek:

john step

Reaction score
...and it started with a row over the draw. It is the arguing and bickering that put me off match fishing initially. I didn't expect it at a 'friendly' open match. Oh well, that's the way it went on Wednesday. The full story can be found HERE.

It was one of those days where everything went wrong, no fish (well not many!) my bait and gear got wet and my arm was giving me jip!

I love fishing - honest!

Ralph :eek:

I wonder if it was Wednesday. I managed a soaking too.
Your blog mentions looking for other types of fishing.
Why not perch in your fishery?
Piking can be good too. (The Thames?) Both traditionally pursued in the colder months.

Last edited:

fishplate42

Reaction score
Hi John, et al.,

I will no doubt be fishing for perch and other fish at Beaver over the winter. There are ten ponds and lakes to chose from and that Eden Pond down in the bottom corner of the fishery could be good on a bright warm (ish) day. Other wise there are a couple of lake I have never fished before, Junior and Horseshoe, both are purported to be far more productive than their names imply.

But when the weather is damp I prefer to stay away from the mud and go urban. I plan to explore some of the hard-standing fishing that is out there for the taking. Light gear and lures or minimal bait appeals...

Either set off with my dyopshotting rig or go light float fishing with one of the bags shown at the bottom of THIS post.

Ralph.

wanderer

Reaction score
Hmm, Ralph you have to decide what fishing is for you, I have a grudging admiration for match anglers skill wise, the modern day commercial carp fisheries have destroyed their need to have such extreme skills, these guys are competing with each other at speed, instead of competing with nature and trying to defeat the survival instinct. Match fishing is not for me, the fish care is appalling, the only ambition is to beat your opponents using a living creature as the measure. They miss the point, it could be a game of darts or snooker, other forms of angling will fulfil the true angler far better, you need to decide, but always enjoy.

rubio

Reaction score
Sounds like the perfect time to chase roach then!
Once the carp slow down it's a chance for redfins to get together without having the party rudely crashed.Fine lines and light gear don't get trashed on a regular basis. And as a bonus once you find the roach you've also found the pike.

john step

Reaction score
Ralph,
You can avoid the mud along the Thames from Hampton Court Bridge to Richmond Bridge. I havn't fished it for years but a good convenient tarmac path for the winter was always Canbury Gardens.Near Kingston.Non Tidal.

Worth a look Google maps and a walk to investigate. I expect there are more yelow lines now but you used to be able to park alongside the park.

Last edited:

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Ralph,
You can avoid the mud along the Thames from Hampton Court Bridge to Richmond Bridge. I havn't fished it for years but a good convenient tarmac path for the winter was always Canbury Gardens.Near Kingston.Non Tidal.

Worth a look Google maps and a walk to investigate. I expect there are more yelow lines now but you used to be able to park alongside the park.

I use to fish Canbury Gardens many moons ago as teenager, there was a water outlet pumping warm water into the Thames from the power station, use to get some freakiliy large fish from that location. Use to watch the let and great Ray Mumford compete in evening matches there too.