Anyone remember this?

nottskev

Reaction score
I think the 1982/3 guess is about right, going by the DAM detail. I worked in Wilmslow those years, and while there I went in to a local tackle shop to buy some maggots. I came out with a 12' DAM Quickstick float rod. Mr Heaps was a rep for them, and he was in the shop. He clearly knew how to sell rods as well as use them. The rod was a little beauty and I used it for years.

B

binka

I came out with a 12' DAM Quickstick float rod. Mr Heaps was a rep for them, and he was in the shop. He clearly knew how to sell rods as well as use them. The rod was a little beauty and I used it for years.

That rod has a very deserved cult following in some circles Kev, I had one too (15th birthday present) and it was as sweet as a nut with a lovely finish.

Bright red, almost flouro, velvety feel rod bag iirc and I think there were two versions of the same rod with a slight difference in the marketing.

nottskev

Reaction score
Cult following? Fancy that. I do remember it had perfect proportions, put-in joints and a sweet action with light lines. I think it has some kind of metal oxide rings - I seem to remember re-ringing it with Fujis afew years on. Ashamed to say I snapped the tip when I pulled too hard trying to sort a wrapover on a windy day on the Ulverston canal in 1991. I've still got the chopped down butt as a dolly for turning a 17' Tricast into a great 15' stick rod.
Fishing tackle....isn't it great? Both for itself and for the way it can remind you of what you were doing at the point in your life when you saved up for it, bought it, used it and, possibly, destroyed it.

---------- Post added at 13:29 ---------- Previous post was at 13:24 ----------

And I've just realised I'm still using the red velvety rod bag on another historic gem, my 12' Shimano Diaflash which is still alive and well and sports a home-fitted spliced tip which is my proudest bit of angling DIY. Sorry. Came over all Antiques Roadshow for a minute.

Neil Maidment

Reaction score
Used to regularly fish the Woodbine and later Embassy qualifiers, which I think in the early days were incorporated into local club matches. Made it into the regional but never to Denmark. I seem to remember several opportunities to qualify for what was the huge carrot of the final. My uncle did get to Denmark, just 80 anglers I think, and had a great trip with a reasonable final weight but nowhere in the final reckoning.

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
I fished a couple of times near Ian's dad on Compstall Reservoir, he was a good angler too. They both used to fish Combs Reser in the 60s and the bailiff would always tell us about the regular pair around the other side pulling out loads of bream. It was always Ian and his dad.

But Ian was always forgetting stuff. He turned up at the match I organised with no line on his reel and had to scrounge some in order to fish.

There was also a story that he flew to Ireland (I think it was) for a fishing trip and forgot a tray of maggots in his car at the airport. When he got back he was walking along with other travellers and they commented about this car with the blacked out windows from bluebottles that had hatched. He walked on past it, apparently and only turned to walk back when they'd all gone.

And he still owes me a tenner, but that's between me and him...:rolleyes:

rayner

Reaction score
I think the 1982/3 guess is about right, going by the DAM detail. I worked in Wilmslow those years, and while there I went in to a local tackle shop to buy some maggots. I came out with a 12' DAM Quickstick float rod. Mr Heaps was a rep for them, and he was in the shop. He clearly knew how to sell rods as well as use them. The rod was a little beauty and I used it for years.

A cheaper version of the DAM quick stick was the DAM quick fire that was also 12'.
Bennetts tackle on Howard street tricked me into buying one, not the best rod I have ever bought.

nottskev

Reaction score
Well, a few years later I bought another DAM float rod, different name to yours, and that was rubbish too. Looks like they peaked with the Quickstick.

rayner

Reaction score
Well, a few years later I bought another DAM float rod, different name to yours, and that was rubbish too. Looks like they peaked with the Quickstick.

Thinking back it may have been after the shop was moved to the Wicker, I really don't remember but the rod definitely came from Bennetts.

Keith M

Reaction score
The only 'DAM' rod that I own is a 10ft DAM light leger rod which I only ever use if I'm swingtipping (which isn't very often); and for which it is quite suited.

Keith

Last edited:

Reaction score
Ian Heaps fished with Blackhorse for a time and must have a never ending supply of funny angling stories,I spent 2-3 hours in a pub one evening peeing myself,should've been on the stage...

john step

Reaction score
This is an old thread init?? I replied at the time BUT what the heck was it that "anyone remembers". The photo on photobucket has expired.:mad:

B

binka

It was a feature article in Angling Times (?) shortly after Heapsy won the World Championships back in the 80's and he was challenged to a canal match where he could only use a tree branch as a pole, as opposed to his opponent who had all the gear.

Funnily enough the same topic came up during conversation when I was fishing with nottskev the other day.

I'm pretty sure there's something on Canal and River Trust's site about it, if I can find it i'll post a link :)

Edited to add: I think the article was during the 80's, I believe he won the World Champs in 1975 or 1976.

There is a reference to the match, and how it came about, here...

PressReader.com - Connecting People Through News

Last edited:

john step

Reaction score
It was a feature article in Angling Times (?) shortly after Heapsy won the World Championships back in the 80's and he was challenged to a canal match where he could only use a tree branch as a pole, as opposed to his opponent who had all the gear.

Funnily enough the same topic came up during conversation when I was fishing with nottskev the other day.

I'm pretty sure there's something on Canal and River Trust's site about it, if I can find it i'll post a link :)

Edited to add: I think the article was during the 80's, I believe he won the World Champs in 1975 or 1976.

There is a reference to the match, and how it came about, here..

PressReader.com - Connecting People Through News

Yes remember the thread now. Also recollect the original AT article. Thanks.
As an aside , I wonder if other photo hosts such as Imgur and Postimage have a timed expiry or was it because Photobucket got stroppy and started wanting cash?

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
Ian Heaps won the World Championship in 1975; in 1976 Ivan Marks came second to one of the great Italian speed aces, Dino Bassi.

Molehill

Reaction score
I remember Jack Hilton catching a huge chub of nearly 7lb 40 years ago..
A big fish then, and now. The article was called the carrot cube crust (if I remember rightly) he fished it under a tree to take the big beast. The pictures at the time inspired me as at the time I was really into chub and looking for my first FIVE.

Looking back is so interesting, but makes me feel old. I'm still waiting of my first seven?

I remember that article well, even the illustration of the "carrot" . Strange how some things stick in the mind and I have a memory like a sieve.

I looked upon jack Hilton as one of the great specimen hunters of his time and always enjoyed reading about his catches, a 7lb chub in those days was enormous and I seem to recall he targeted the fish.