Newbie to this site ,,,, from sheffield

nelson68

Reaction score
HI everyone im Ian from SHEFFIELD new to this site im 45 years iv been doing a lot of match fishing for the last 10 years. Iv want to try barbel fishing for a while now so i just got a new rod its a barbel tamer 2.25 tc :eek:mg: hope this is ok ... i dont really know which rivers to fish, i hope someone will take me under there wing and let me meet up with them on a days fishing some time cheers :w:w

Reaction score
Welcome Ian, quite a few of the regular posters are from the Sheffield area..

..and they even drag me over from the other side of the Pennines to show them that there are/were sizeable fish in Dam Flask ;):eek:mg:

flightliner

Reaction score
Nelson, welcome mate, locally theres the don, rother and dearne. A little further afield the idle, then the trent, its all good.
Where you been match fishing by the way.?

nelson68

Reaction score
All over place pal but not on the rivers. Really looking forward to get into barbel fishing..Im just on internet looking at collingham weir trying to get a post code for sat nav. Cheers for info pal

john step

Reaction score
All over place pal but not on the rivers. Really looking forward to get into barbel fishing..Im just on internet looking at collingham weir trying to get a post code for sat nav. Cheers for info pal

Welcome. The Trent isn't just about Collingham Weir though. It can get a bit crowded there and the fish wary. There are miles of good fishing downstream of that on the tidal. Mostly £5 a day.
Just find the back street at Collingham and the river is signposted. The second sign to the North direction as it were ...leads to where you see a house and lane on the left and a sign for Collingham Club. Park behind the swim.
There are other such places. Tackle really needs to be up to it.
Look up on Youtube Mick Brown and Martin Bowler fishing on the tidal trent.
Covers most things.

PS.Before I moved up here my barbel experience was on small intimate rivers and it was a huge learning curve regarding the tackle and methods for the Tidal. I thought fishing an 8lb line was heavy enough. What a mistake. 15lb and a beefy rod is my preferred option and use heavy feeders so that when you cast in and put a 15 yard bow in the line you dont get dragged into snags. Even the smaller ones will bend the rod to its full curve.
Dont let this put you off because for £5 a day you can catch VERY hard fighting fish the size you would only expect in a commercial.
Yesterday I had 4 including 2 at a tad under a double. Its picking up again after the latest batch of fresh water.

The best thing I could say is set a day aside at the weekend, take a map and your sandwiches and walk and observe. You can actually walk on the flood bank all the way along the Trent along here on the Trent Path.

Hope this gives help. Tight lines.

Last edited:

nelson68

Reaction score
Thanks john .... Hoping to go middle of november.. But like you said i will go for a walk one day and check it out first... what area are you from ..thanks for the advice john.

dadiolongy

Reaction score
Hi Ian
New to this site and barbel fishing myself, been fishing at south muskham but it's been hard going over the last 6 week banking only 2 barbel my last being Friday night at 11lb3 oz on home made boilie. The collingham stretch is very good but is full of snags so be prepared to loose some tackle. I'm on the conveyor stretch which is about peg 140-150 this week so will post any news . It's really easy to find and good pegs only problem is there ate a lot of rats and they are not shy!!

Tight lines!!

nelson68

Reaction score
Cheers for the info pal ... Im going down collingham weir on saturday just for a look i not fished it yet but going to in november i carnt wait il go down to the conveyer belt and see if ican get the chance to see you cheers text me if you want 07919374368 ian

dadiolongy

Reaction score
Yeah will do I'm on the trent every Friday night so if u fancy a night session then let me know

Tight lines!!

nelson68

Reaction score
Oh thats great cheers

---------- Post added at 06:08 ---------- Previous post was at 06:03 ----------

And when you said theres plenty of rats thats what i do most nights i got shooting rights on a few ponds and i got a night site on my air rifle and take the rats out ...il have a word with the bailiff