Returning to the sport after 20yrs +

bazilrush

Reaction score
Hi, im new on the site and was after some advice, i used to spend my weekends as a young teen on rivers and ponds spinning and (what i used to call plugging) for anything daft enough to take my lure, usually jacks but sometimes a trout or perch. Everything seems to have changed but the bit confusing me is close season. I can visit canals and ponds through it now but can i visit rivers if im targetting trout with small lures? If so who determines if my set up is targetting trout? Im not trying to get round course fishing season rules, i know the rivers i used to fish contain perch, chub and jacks that may also take a trout lure. Many thanks.

greenie62

Reaction score
... used to spend my weekends as a young teen on rivers and ponds spinning.... usually jacks but sometimes a trout or perch. Everything seems to have changed but the bit confusing me is close season. I can visit canals and ponds through it now but can i visit rivers if im targetting trout with small lures?...... i know the rivers i used to fish contain perch, chub and jacks that may also take a trout lure...

It's the same as it was 20yrs ago - how did you fish the rivers by spinning for trout without catching jacks, chub or perch?
Tight Lines!

Last edited:

bazilrush

Reaction score
I didnt. I went by the course fishing closed season regardless so would be feelingvsorry for myself till mid june

greenie62

Reaction score
Apologies for not having greeted you to the forum in the first place - only just noticed you are a new member!

Welcome to the madhouse Bazil - hope you get back into the fishing after your lay-off - what sort of fishing do you like/enjoy? Perhaps some of the forum can help improve your catches!;)
Whereabouts are you and what waters do you fish?

Tight Lines :thumbs:

bazilrush

Reaction score
Hi. Im from batley in west yorkshire, i have managed to get out the last three sundays, the first two at a local pond fluking a decent (for me) carp floatfishing on the first. Blanking the second while targetting a large perch im told lives in there and heading to the calder and hebble navagation canal for the third with my interest in lure fishing re ignited hoping again for a perch but being saved from a blank by a very aggressive jack. I think my methods were too clumsy for the perch and this week hope to use a bit more finesse and stay on the perch theme

greenie62

Reaction score
..... I think my methods were too clumsy for the perch and this week hope to use a bit more finesse and stay on the perch theme

Might be worth 'Search'ing the FM site - looking for 'threads' on dropshotting for perch - there were quite a few posts on the subject over the last 6 months - many to do with tackle but a fair number on tactics and recommending Youtube videos - might inspire you - or help support the local tackle shop's business at this time of year! ;):D:eek:mg:

Tight Lines!

retrobob

Reaction score
Great advice, please search the site for old threads, there's a tonne of information which may answer your questions and don't be afraid to 'resurrect' an old thread asking a follow up question.

Welcome back!

bazilrush

Reaction score
Thankyou. My trael has begun

---------- Post added at 09:12 ---------- Previous post was at 09:11 ----------

Trawl i meant

---------- Post added at 09:32 ---------- Previous post was at 09:12 ----------

That would be trawl has begun