Evening all....

stevo88

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I am Jordan and i am new to the forum and thinking of getting back into coarse angling. I had very basic equipment as a youngster (11 foot rod that was my fathers, cheap reel, cheap box, cheap everything) as that was all I could afford at the time.

Over the years unfortunately my spare time has been devoted to my young family and work commitments, meaning not much time for the hobby I used to love.

I have now managed to find myself with more time on my hands than I ever have, and I am looking to get back into fishing. The thing is, I really want to start pole fishing, I have never had a pole but always wanted one. My question is, has anyone got any advice for a born again noobie fisherman on which pole to purchase? It doesn't have to be upwards of £500, because I will only be using the local canal, and some private ponds around my area, but ideally around 9-10 metres? Does that sound about right?

Thanks in advance guys, hope to see a lot more of you all on here :cool:

stevo88

Reaction score
Welcome to FM, sorry I don't fish the pole but there are plenty on here who should be able to give you advice:)

Thank you for the warm welcome pal, I will wait patiently for some more replies and see if anyone can point me in the right direction :D

---------- Post added at 11:48 ---------- Previous post was at 11:45 ----------

Thank you Derek, much obliged!

john step

Reaction score
Welcome back to fishing.
Looking at adverts, there are a bewildering amount.
I don't pole fish now but when I did 11 metres was the min length for canals.

I bet a £100 pole now is far superior to my old Browning Ledgend at £600 all those years ago.

Could you visit a shop and have a feel, so to speak? How about a budget pole new or 2nd hand to see if you like it.

Is there a local lake/ club water where you could see whats what.

stevo88

Reaction score
Hi again, and thank you for your comment. I have got a little local pond to me so I will be trying that out first of all, or I may hit the canal (not sure yet). I do have a tackle shop near me but their choice of poles were limited so I may have to search furthur afield. I couldn't speak to the owner at the weekend as it was quite busy and he was serving other folk. I am sure I will be fully equipped come the weekend and if the weathers half right, I will make my way to the nearest water for a good days fishing :)

I still have some of my old stuff like my keepnet and landing net, catapult hooks and weights. But I will probably need to make (or purchase) some more rigs as I doubt I will have any of those left.

I will let you know how I get on. Thanks for the messages guys, I have only been registered an hour but already had great replies.

steve2

Reaction score
I would suggest that you don't buy a 9-10 metre pole. You soon find yourself saying I need a longer one. Look for one round the 12 -13 metre you can also fish it shorter.