Hello

lakhyaman

Reaction score
Hi

I am from Bangladesh where I fish mostly for cyprinids in my own little "fishery" (all 4 acres of it). It is stocked with all the major Indian carps including some mahseer and also has a few Yellowtail Catfish in it. The Common Carp also has a representation there and is a bit of a nuisance because of its prolific breeding habits forcing me to stock some Clown knifefish as a predator on eggs and fry. But the carpprovide some very testing fishing and therein lies my tale of woe which I have posted about in the Newbies Help forum.

All the best

Lakhyaman.

026-1.jpg

025-1.jpg

001.jpg

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
Hope you find FM of interest !

A ' little fishery of 4 acres ' of your own - something most anglers in the UK can only dream of...

The area looks very green so obviously you have a reasonable rainfall ? What other
' wildlife ' do you have in the surrounding area, and are mosquitoes a problem at the water ?

lakhyaman

Reaction score
Thanks for the welcome!

Re other wildlife:

The area opposite the fishing platform is left as a breeding ground for Red Jungle Fowl (Gallus gallus murghi), the ancestor of the domestic chicken. It also is home to a few Rhesus Macaques and the odd passing Langur monkeys, a couple of Crab eating mongooses and one or two Golden Jackals (Canis aureus).

Being a quiet area and this being the tropics there are a few snakes there as well. Last November a King Cobra swam across and took a long look at me from about 10 metres away. It was not threatening in any way, just curious! There are banded kraits as well. They are as beautiful as they are poisonous. But like all snakes they keep a safe distance so long as they are aware of your coming and going. The thing is to stomp your feet as if you are marching in a military parade as you come and go.

The birdlife is plentiful and include parakeets of two species, jungle mynahs, pompadour pigeons, whistling teal, open billed storks, two species of egrets, night herons, pond herons, pied, whitebreasted and little blue kingfishers, chestnut mantled bee-eaters, Brahminy kites, spotted owlets and a host of others.

Yes there are a lot of mosquitoes (and midges, locally known as the Elephant Mite - they are so small they can hardly be seen but their bites will drive an elephant to madness!). But insect repellant takes care of that.

We get about a 100 inches of rain a year between June and end September. The winters are dry and the most perfect weather.

I have been having a problem with bolt rigs that I have been using and have posted on the Newbie Help forum. Hope some of you will have time to read it.

All the best

Lakhyaman.

slaphead

Reaction score
Welcome, Lakhyaman.

Sounds like a wonderful place to fish. (Not sure about the snakes, though).

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
So, a 4 acre lake. How big do the various species run too and do you do day tickets ?

( Some on FM love a cheap ticket, or better still, free !... )

You might just end up with applications for Bed & Breakfast !!

lakhyaman

Reaction score

Catla 20lbs+, Rohu 10+, Mrigal 10+, Mahseer 10+, Kalibans 6+, Ghonia 4lbs. Common Carp unknown: The largest I have caught was 13+ lbs. but they grow much faster than other fish and should rival the Catla in weight. Some "gobsmacks" sound as if they would suck in a crocodile! But they have become very wary of traditional float methods and bait, hence the experimentation with bolt rigs and other baits! Yellowtail Catfish25+, Clown Knifefish 7+.

Tickets to fish, three meals, bed (AC, running hot water) and drinks free to all FM members. If you insist I might consider payment in leftover hooks and carping leads!

Please visit.

All the best

Lakhyaman